Minecraft Bedrock Dedicated Server

My kids want to create a dedicated Minecraft that they can access locally from their Switch and Ipad. This mean I have to use the Bedrock version, so at best there would only be like 4 players locally. I thought this would be a fun thing to do together. There are surprisingly few article on Minecraft server requirement and tuning or may be I am just not looking at the right place. Some of the requirement seems to reference cpu from over a decade or two ago (Intel Nehalem for example). I have a PC ins the basement that I thought I could use but is not certain if it will sufficient.

System: Gigabyte BRIX A8-5557M

CPU: AMD A8-5557M

Memory: 4 GB

Disk: 80 GB SSD

Network: 802.11ac or Gigabyte ethernet

I have a few question about minecraft server.

1. Under what circumstances would you need a dedicated Minecraft server? I suppose it gives the user complete control over a world?

2. What factors affect a minecraft cpu performance? Is it a better to have a high speed single core or is it better to have a lot of cores.

3. How much ram does Minecraft need. What factor would need more. Keep in mind that I can easily upgrade the machine to 16 Gb.

4. How much storage do I need?

5. What OS would be better. the system has Windows 10 now, but I can probably run Linux, too. I think Windows 10 only has until 2025, but by then perhaps the system will be too old or the kids would have moved on to other things.

Thanks

1 it’s a newly generated world unluess you copy over a world, so it’s completely yours.

2 I know Java is single threaded but bedrock is ?? To me

3 I can run a bedrock/Java cross play server on 8gb fine

4 bassically none?

my rpi servers runs with a 32gb MicroSd

5 might as well run linux, get more out of the hardware. There’s a Microsoft server client for  linux

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Hello, I currently host 2 on Ubuntu. (very easy to do and uses less resources than Windows, Highly recommend)

As far as I understand, Bedrock has the same requirements as Java. For comparison, I am running them both on HP Revolve G3's with the following specs: (these were free for me and I haven't changed them past stock)

1. Intel Core i7-5500U
  2. 12 GB RAM
  3. 120GB SSD
  4. Ethernet
  5. Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

1. Under what circumstances would you need a dedicated Minecraft server? I suppose it gives the user complete control over a world?

It allows you to access the world from any device (and from anywhere if you forward your ports). Also it does not require a person to be on for others to join. Anyone can join at any time because the server is hosting the world.

2. What factors affect a Minecraft CPU performance? Is it a better to have a high speed single core or is it better to have a lot of cores.
Minecraft servers will run on a potato. I find my servers use all their cores. That being 2 cores lol. I have had 8 people on the server with no lag. The server is question is a creative server with a massive city worth 7 years of work.

3. How much ram does Minecraft need. What factor would need more. Keep in mind that I can easily upgrade the machine to 16 Gb.

Not much I would say get at least 8Gb since Ram is cheap. Dual Channel 

4. How much storage do I need?

Again not much. 80 is plenty.

5. What OS would be better. the system has Windows 10 now, but I can probably run Linux, too. I think Windows 10 only has until 2025, but by then perhaps the system will be too old or the kids would have moved on to other things.

I highly recommend using Ubuntu as the OS. Not only will you get more resources for your server, but Ubuntu has a built in backup service called Deja Dup that allows you to backup to things like your google drive. I have both of my Servers backing daily to my PLEX server. This ensures that if either dies, I have a full back up of them to restore to a new machine. All this being said, I had never used Linux before having these set up. After about 6 months, I feel confident with them.

Finally I would like to add. How you want to set up the game itself is important. The biggest factor in how your server performs is tick distance. This is how many chunks are simulated form any players positions. I have mine set to 6 I believe as Anything higher seemed to overload my servers. I also have no issues or complaints with 6. So if you wanted to go higher, then you would need a better CPU, but other than that I am sure yours is fine.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Thank you both to your response. I am in the process of fixing the server.