Type I Hypervisor Suggestions for Home Use

Bigun

Very familiar with VMWare's ESXi offering.  However, it appears ESXi's support of my hardware will not be supported much longer in my home lab.  Was curious about other type one hypervisors and was willing to give a few a shot.  ProxMox was one of them, and the other was QEMU (although the latter seems more like a type 2 hypervisor though).  Since this is for home use, I don't have a lot of cash to put into it.  I need the hypervisor to support iSCSI connectivity to datastores and that's about it.  Snapshots are a "nice to have", but not a requirement.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

Any problem running an older version of esxi for longer? I a lot of businesses I worked with run 5 or older still. 6.5 is most popular rn I've noticed.

For type 1 if you want something that'll work forever basically with stupid amounts of legacy support hyper v by microsoft will do the job. It's never my first choice but it's one of those it kinda just works options.

Qemu is a type 2 wanting to be a type 1 kinda deal. It's good but not something I'd use to replace esxi.

I mean still my advice would be to just run esxi but don't upgrade.

I mean, I'm running 7, but I like to stay up to date if I can.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

I'd just run Hyper-V Server.  It supports huge amounts of hardware and works extremely well, and it performs well on everything from a potato to cloud scale datacenters.