Is it worth it to get an iPad for Engineering Student

Coolmaster

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Air (maybe Pro) for notetaking and drafting. Everything is online so it would be nice to be able to do assignments digitally. I'm not an artist or anything, and I already have a laptop. Do you think it's worth it?

2 hours ago, Coolmaster said:

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Air (maybe Pro) for notetaking and drafting. Everything is online so it would be nice to be able to do assignments digitally. I'm not an artist or anything, and I already have a laptop. Do you think it's worth it?

There may be new iPad Air in March or April, so if you get the current model (which is still fine, by the way), try to get it on sale.

The main question is the apps you want or need to use. Syncing notes wouldn't be hard if you have OneNote or another app that has a computer equivalent, but what kind of drafting do you do? What apps do you have or want to use for it? It could be a pain if you use an iPad drafting app that doesn't wirelessly sync or uses a format your computer apps don't recognize.

If those aren't issues, though, you'll probably be happy. The iPad Air is still fast, it packs a great screen, and the second-gen Pencil works well. Tablets can be surprisingly useful even when they're sitting next to your laptop — my wife uses hers to review documents while she works.