if i replace my motherboard will I have to reinstall windows 10?

leaky84

thinking about upgrading my motherboard so i can upgrade my cpu and am unsure if i will have to reinstall windows

What are you overall planning to upgrade from / to?

IF you're ugprading both of those, it may be worthwhile looking at a full system replacement

17 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What are you overall planning to upgrade from / to?

IF you're ugprading both of those, it may be worthwhile looking at a full system replacement

well i only want to upgrade my cpu but my p8z77-v motherboard doesn't hold any CPUs that I'm looking to buy witch is resulting me into replacing my whole motherboard.

i currently have a p8z77-v motherboard and a i7 3770 cpu and looking to upgrade to a z390 d and a i5 9600kf.

what is a full system replacement?

4 minutes ago, leaky84 said:

well i only want to upgrade my cpu but my p8z77-v motherboard doesn't hold any CPUs that I'm looking to buy witch is resulting me into replacing my whole motherboard.

i currently have a p8z77-v motherboard and a i7 3770 cpu and looking to upgrade to a z390 d and a i5 9600kf.

unless you're getting one of those two items for free, you're making a huge mistake going to 9th gen.

Pricewise, you want to go to 12th gen.

Unless you get an amazing deal on the 9th gen CPU and board from a friend or something, there is no reason to upgrade to parts that are already three generations behind. 

In regards to your original question, I would recommend reinstalling Windows any time you change platforms. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I'm aware that its recommended to reinstall windows when upgrading motherboards, but will my current windows have to be manually uninstalled before i swap motherboards?

Here's a PCPP for the 9th gen:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h6fxFg

Here's a PCPP for a better 12th gen:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q9zXsL

Basically the same price for a 3 year newer CPU that will be better in every possible way.  So unless you're getting some / all of the 9th gen hardware for free?  Don't go that route.

You can just reinstall it afterwards. It's possible Windows will want to be reactivated when you swap motherboards and it'll probably need to install a lot of new drivers. This can lead to conflicts, which is why a reinstallation is recommended. Also, before you swap and/or reinstall, you may want to backup your data, so you don't lose anything if something goes wrong.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

no it won't uninstall, but you may have problems.

Also, don't start new threads for the same thing.  

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You can just reinstall it afterwards. It's possible Windows will want to be reactivated when you swap motherboards and it'll probably need to install a lot of new drivers. This can lead to conflicts, which is why a reinstallation is recommended. Also, before you swap and/or reinstall, you may want to backup your data, so you don't lose anything if something goes wrong.

how do i backup data?

Just now, leaky84 said:

how do i backup data?

Copy/duplicate it to a separate disk (e.g. a USB disk). Either manually or with a backup program.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

51 minutes ago, leaky84 said:

FYI:  If you upgrade your board, you also HAVE to upgrade both the CPU and RAM.

You can't use your existing parts in any reasonably modern setup.

To answer your direct question - my Windows 11 install reports it's 7 years old. Of course it started as Windows 7 (I still have the box), two motherboards and three hard drives ago. It even went from legacy mode to UEFI and secure boot. It might have helped that i stayed faithful to AMD processors and Nvidia graphic cards. One day I might reinstall, but it works without issues so I didn't found the motivation to do it yet.

On 1/25/2022 at 12:28 AM, leaky84 said:

thinking about upgrading my motherboard so i can upgrade my cpu and am unsure if i will have to reinstall windows

So many people not really answering the question.

1. No, you don't have to.

But, it come with a few problems. Windows sees the CPU and mobo change and you might need to re-activate Windows. Sometimes you can get away from this by just signing in with your MS account and it will not require any extra steps.

2. Let's say you are lazy like most of us and don't want to reinstall for a hardware swap. What you need to do is remove all the old drivers first before pulling the board. Any specific chipset drivers, LAN drivers, all that needs to go. You can sometimes remove chipset drivers from Programs and Features. The other drivers you need to go into Device Manager and choose "uninstall" while checking the box to remove the driver. Once you remove everything, shut down, swap the board, and then boot up again.

This is a bit ghetto way of doing it, but it does work. You may* have issues down the line, but usually this method works out ok.