Network software deployment

TheTwist

Anyone know a good network deploy software?

I will need to deploy some software to about 15 - 25 computers on the name network.

However these computers will not be on a domain so the deployment software will need to detect all the computers on the network then I can select the ones I want to deploy too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Warning: there be dragons ahead.

Got cash?  Microsoft ECM or Azure Insight.  Both support workgroup systems securely.  For Macs: JAMF.  Want config by code?  Chef.

Don't have cash?  Have a startup .bat file on each PC call a network shared install script or stack of scripts, secured and version controlled.

Most other solutions, like PDQ, end up iffy without central authentication.  The reason is that you have to have centralized credentials that can administer all systems, and this is a huge attack vector and security risk, since the credentials are exposed on each and every system.  And more generally: central management systems are always a security risk and need to be locked down heavily, even good ones.  ECM and Azure Insight do it with certificate trusts and locked down AD accounts that present kerberos tickets, so you're not sending credentials over the wire.  PDQ can be set up that way, but in reality it's little better than a centralized script repository in terms of management overhead.

6 hours ago, jec6613 said:

Don't have cash?  Have a startup .bat file on each PC call a network shared install script or stack of scripts, secured and version controlled.

Hm thanks,  I better start learning some scripting haha.  So every restart it will read a 'server' and if the folder has an update it will pull the new stuff down?  Most of these software are exe's  but a few msi's. 

6 hours ago, TheTwist said:

Hm thanks,  I better start learning some scripting haha.  So every restart it will read a 'server' and if the folder has an update it will pull the new stuff down?  Most of these software are exe's  but a few msi's. 

I'd use a very simple cmd or bat file that points to a static entry point, then script that runs each install script to silent install each app. Also, you'll need this running at system startup, not user logon (so this is a local policy setting). And as a best practice, the script should verify if it's installed or not before running, either by dropping a custom registry key or checking files.