Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gigabit Internet not working using ethernet

human man
 Share

After building my new pc, when I plug in ethernet,it keeps on connecting with gigabit for a few seconds (green and orange turning on and off randomly). when the lights are on for a few seconds, it's using gigabit internet, but after a few minutes, there is only green light and connects (doesn't disconnect). The speed becomes 100mbps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, human man said:

After building my new pc, when I plug in ethernet,it keeps on connecting with gigabit for a few seconds (green and orange turning on and off randomly). when the lights are on for a few seconds, it's using gigabit internet, but after a few minutes, there is only green light and connects (doesn't disconnect). The speed becomes 100mbps.

Please clarify: are you paying for a gigabit internet connection and not getting it or is the ethernet link speed the issue?

 

What you're experiencing is commonly associated with a defective ethernet cable. Try a different cable, preferably a new one from a reputable manufacturer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Please clarify: are you paying for a gigabit internet connection and not getting it or is the ethernet link speed the issue?

 

What you're experiencing is commonly associated with a defective ethernet cable. Try a different cable, preferably a new one from a reputable manufacturer.

I'm not getting the speeds and I am paying for gigabit internet. The cable did work for other devices to get gigabit internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

is the WIFI enabled as well? You didnt state whether or not you had connected to wifi before hand.

 

what are you using to test speeds?

 

 

wifi is enabled (wirelessly and using ethernet) and yes I have connected to wifi before I am using speedtest.net to check my wifi speeds and in settings of windows it says 100mbps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, human man said:

I'm not getting the speeds and I am paying for gigabit internet. The cable did work for other devices to get gigabit internet

Update the NIC drivers. And still try a different ethernet cable (Cat5e or better).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Update the NIC drivers. And still try a different ethernet cable (Cat5e or better).

but the wire works for other devices to get gigabit internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, human man said:

but the wire works for other devices to get gigabit internet

If you have a spare, it's worth a shot. Defective cables can work fine sometimes and not well at others, especially if they have small breaks/bends or exposed twisted pairs in them.

 

Did you try updating the NIC drivers as well?

 

What make/model of NIC does your computer have? And what about the other devices making up the network?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

If you have a spare, it's worth a shot. Defective cables can work fine sometimes and not well at others, especially if they have small breaks/bends or exposed twisted pairs in them.

 

Did you try updating the NIC drivers as well?

 

What make/model of NIC does your computer have? And what about the other devices making up the network?

I got a cat 8 cable and nothing has changed. The model of NIC is the intel ethernet controller (3) 1225-V other devices are my laptop, 4phones, 1tv and this pc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, human man said:

I got a cat 8 cable

No Cat5e/6/6a to test with? What brand? Any visibly observable defects on the cable? Loose insulation, bends, etc?

 

5 minutes ago, human man said:

The model of NIC is the intel ethernet controller (3) 1225-V

See drivers here. Uninstall the existing ones through Device Manager and install these for your version of Windows.

 

7 minutes ago, human man said:

other devices are my laptop, 4phones, 1tv and this pc

Sorry. That's not what I meant. What network hardware do you have between your PC and the internet? Exact makes/models would be helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, human man said:

I got a cat 8 cable and nothing has changed. The model of NIC is the intel ethernet controller (3) 1225-V other devices are my laptop, 4phones, 1tv and this pc

Its not really recommended to go higher than CAT 6a with a consumer router and you don't need higher than CAT 5e for Gigabit.

I'd trust a cheap CAT 6 cable over something claiming to be CAT 8 any day.  I've had more problems with cables claiming to be higher ratings than lower.

Also, have you physically looks the make sure the socket is okay on the motherboard?  The fact it worked at first then downgraded makes me wonder if a pin isn't making good contact or somehow got dust or fluff on it.

Router:  Quotom-Q555G6-S05 running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

No Cat5e/6/6a to test with? What brand? Any visibly observable defects on the cable? Loose insulation, bends, etc?

 

See drivers here. Uninstall the existing ones through Device Manager and install these for your version of Windows.

 

Sorry. That's not what I meant. What network hardware do you have between your PC and the internet? Exact makes/models would be helpful.

i just bought it and no cat5e/6/6a to test with. Brand is Kalron i cant see any defects on the cable. the drivers are up to date and i reinstalled it nothing changed.  I am in south Korea and im using LGU+ wifi and a modem i dont know the model of the modem and wifi router sorry

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not really recommended to go higher than CAT 6a with a consumer router and you don't need higher than CAT 5e for Gigabit.

I'd trust a cheap CAT 6 cable over something claiming to be CAT 8 any day.  I've had more problems with cables claiming to be higher ratings than lower.

Also, have you physically looks the make sure the socket is okay on the motherboard?  The fact it worked at first then downgraded makes me wonder if a pin isn't making good contact or somehow got dust or fluff on it.

the sockets look fine to me and i built this pc 2 days ago so im more confused if there is a setting in the bios or windows to enable it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, human man said:

I am in south Korea and im using LGU+ wifi and a modem i dont know the model of the modem and wifi router sorry

There's no serial number sticker or other identifying information on the unit itself? Are you able to log into the ISP device itself to check the port state?

 

2 hours ago, human man said:

the sockets look fine to me and i built this pc 2 days ago so im more confused if there is a setting in the bios or windows to enable it.

Take an alcohol-dampened (not soaked) cotton swab and wipe off the pin contacts of the ports itself. Then allow it to dry before testing again.

 

Some other question:

  1. What is the negotiation state of the NIC as set in the hardware properties?
  2. Does Device Manager report any missing drivers or errors?
  3. Did you install all of the relevant drivers for the motherboard?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

There's no serial number sticker or other identifying information on the unit itself? Are you able to log into the ISP device itself to check the port state?

 

Take an alcohol-dampened (not soaked) cotton swab and wipe off the pin contacts of the ports itself. Then allow it to dry before testing again.

 

Some other question:

  1. What is the negotiation state of the NIC as set in the hardware properties?
  2. Does Device Manager report any missing drivers or errors?
  3. Did you install all of the relevant drivers for the motherboard?

And when we say alcohol we mean alcohol designed for cleaning stuff, not the nearest bottle of Whisky. 😉

Router:  Quotom-Q555G6-S05 running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

this didn't really help as nothing had changed could there be a bios/windows setting I need to change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

just to clarify ethernet does work but when I plug it in/ turn on the pc, it connects with gigabit internet for few seconds, connects and disconnects many times until it connects but stuck at 100mbps 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a different port on the switch.

 

Try disabling Energy Efficient Ethernet.

 

Is the PC plugged in directly to the switch via the patch cable? No horizontal cabling or wall jacks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

it is a wall jack but it gives gigabit internet to other devices on the same wall

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Timothy003 said:

Try a different port on the switch.

 

Try disabling Energy Efficient Ethernet.

 

Is the PC plugged in directly to the switch via the patch cable? No horizontal cabling or wall jacks?

and i have already tried disabling energy efficient ethernet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, human man said:

it is a wall jack but it gives gigabit internet to other devices on the same wall

 

Not all PHYs are the same. Some tolerate marginal connections while others can't. It's the most common cause of link flap and low speeds.

 

Bring the switch to the PC or vice versa and see if the issue persists. This will rule out a bad wall jack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×