Buying a 24in vs 27in monitor

rydawg723

Hi everyone, to start off I have a Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super and I'm currently looking to upgrade by monitor to something more gaming oriented. I am not into competitive play, I enjoy playing games such as Starcraft II, FF XIV, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. My research has told me that for a 24in that 1080 is good and at 27in that 1440 would be the appropriate step up. I particularly like the idea of a 27in monitor in terms of screen real-estate.

My biggest concern is if my GPU is sufficient to run 1440 @ 144Hz. The GPU specs say 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz so im to believe 1440 @ 144Hz isn't unreasonable, but I wanted to consult some experienced individuals before making a purchase.

Additionally, I also wanted to get some opinion about 1440 and if there is such a thing as unsupported games/applications that don't run 1440 and the potential issues I might face with the future 27in screen.

I am happy to answer questions and learn more.

2 minutes ago, rydawg723 said:

Hi everyone, to start off I have a Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super and I'm currently looking to upgrade by monitor to something more gaming oriented. I am not into competitive play, I enjoy playing games such as Starcraft II, FF XIV, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. My research has told me that for a 24in that 1080 is good and at 27in that 1440 would be the appropriate step up. I particularly like the idea of a 27in monitor in terms of screen real-estate.

My biggest concern is if my GPU is sufficient to run 1440 @ 144Hz. The GPU specs say 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz so im to believe 1440 @ 144Hz isn't unreasonable, but I wanted to consult some experienced individuals before making a purchase.

Additionally, I also wanted to get some opinion about 1440 and if there is such a thing as unsupported games/applications that don't run 1440 and the potential issues I might face with the future 27in screen.

Pretty sure all modern games supports 1440, those that don't (mostly indie games) usually just will either put a black area for the unused area, or stretch itself to the screen size (old games or emulator games), making the graphic have less quality.
But then again, there's always windowed mode.

As for application, I can't say for all of them. But the popular ones sure does support it, as in, they don't really care what res.

In essence, any games or apps that don't support it doesn't mean they're not gonna launch or something, unless they were badly coded.
And I personally will try my best to avoid apps that only works on a specific res.

Can the GPU run 1440p? pretty sure it can. but the GPU was made for pretty much 1080, so going 1440p gonna result in FPS drop.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 hours ago, rydawg723 said:

1440p 27" is my favorite thing

I have asus pg279q its been out since 2015

Was using it with gtx 980 then upgraded to gtx 1080 and using the same monitor with my rtx 2080 super.

9 hours ago, rydawg723 said:

This is why you fail.  You do not buy a monitor to be "just good enough" to handle what your PC throws at it.  You buy a monitor that will still be up to the challenge after several upgrades and/or new PC builds.

For basic OS purpose, yes, your GPU is likely quite capable of handling 1440p at 144hz.  Games?  Well that depends on the game.

In any case, your research sources are wrong.  1080p is a garbage resolution on anything other than a smartphone; and as a matter of principle, you should not be buying a new 1080p monitor in 2022--unless you're someone whose refresh rate has a direct impact on their income.

What resolution and size you need is up to you. 1080p is sharp enough at 24", but if you want a larger screen go for 1440p. It also depends on what budget you have. Your GPU will likely handle competitive games like Valorant, CS:GO and Overwatch at over 100 fps, but everything else won't be achiveable at 1440p 60 fps without substantially dropping your settings.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

imo, 1440p is best at 24" or under, and 4k is ideal for 27" to 32". I do sit a bit close, though, maybe a bit less than 2ft for nearsightedness.

There are lots of games that don't support 1440p, and many of them have hacky workarounds where just forcing it to do that anyway mostly just kinda works but because "we can sell a remaster with up to 4k resolution in 2 years and not even put any effort in", it was locked to 1080p. Stuff like Neptunia comes to mind.
1650 is a bit small for it, but you can always lower settings or even resolution. If you're a fullscreen gamer, you can basically have the best 720p experience imaginable on a 1440p display these days with integer scaling. I've not tried it because not on windows and not a fullscreen gamer.

There's nothing stopping someone from using Windows 7 without the internet, besides the one-time license check. You can even download update KB packages from Microsoft and install them offline still. Windows 8/10/11 might be useless without internet, but Windows 7 and Vista aren't. They're actually pretty great offline gaming OS, very stable and performant for period games that are obtainable without DRM.

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

What resolution and size you need is up to you. 1080p is sharp enough at 24", but if you want a larger screen go for 1440p. It also depends on what budget you have. Your GPU will likely handle competitive games like Valorant, CS:GO and Overwatch at over 100 fps, but everything else won't be achiveable at 1440p 60 fps without substantially dropping your settings.

That's a PPI of ~92 though.  I mean, I personally dislike things below 180 ppi, but I don't even think I can sanction in good conscience a PPI < 100.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

That's a PPI of ~92 though.  I mean, I personally dislike things below 180 ppi, but I don't even think I can sanction in good conscience a PPI < 100.

With so many people buying 48" LG OLEDs it seems around 90 ppi is enough, even for high-end buyers. You do know that even a 27" 4K screen comes in at 163 PPI, which is extremely sharp. The only commonly used displays you "like" would be laptop displays by going >180 PPI - or in other words <24" displays if sticking to 4K. 8K is still a pipe dream in consumer displays - especially at over 60Hz and at decent performance.

Edit: Just calculated it: Even a 55" 8K TV wouldn't be "sharp enough" for your likings. I'd say they're quite a bit off. But who am i to judge your likings....

I personally try to keep it around 110 PPI for a good balance between required hardware and image quality. That's also where 27"1440p monitors end up, which i'd say is good enough for the average user. And if you're on a budget even a 24" 1080p screen with 90 PPI is still perfectly useable for office work or casual gaming.

I personally couldn't tell apart the sharpness between the 4K 27" (163 PPI) monitor i had and the 5,5" 1440p (532 PPI) screen my phone has. I'd say above 160 PPI or so we get into big diminishing returns. But as my eyesight is likely very different from yours YMMV.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

True.  And I'd upgrade from 4k in a heartbeat if it was available.  I just feel that 20" is already the upper limit for 1080p; not 24"; and I base that off it having the same PPI as my 4k monitor.