I Spent $1100 on DisplayPort Cables… for Science!

ColinLTT

We’re at it again with the Total Phase Cable Tester – this time with Displayport, but with even MORE cables and some results we didn’t see coming.

Spreadsheet - https://lmg.gg/DPTests

PS: Test Report links will not work as they poll a directly-connected Cable Tester (which you don't have), PDF's will come via this forum post on Monday.

HDMI cable testing: https://www.floatplane.com/post/Wz7dNpDZlb

HDMI cable testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFbJD6RE4EY

Was sorta funny how Samsung sponsored this video when one of their cables was one of the few to fail.

Incidentally (and this might make a good TechQuickie video or whatever, honestly), what's the reason for using DisplayPort only on monitors and HDMI only on TVs? DisplayPort in general just seems like generally a lot more rebust and less glitchy standard.

Is the UHBR10 testing still in progress? Seems a bit odd that the only cables that claimed to be 2.0 and UHBR10 are on the Amazon Top 9 list. Also, what the heck is is a Versa certification for a DP cable and did none of those pass UHBR10 either? As someone looking to get some 2.0 cables the spreadsheet isn't as useful as I hoped.

this made me a little confused, as when maybe a video that might cover the differences between HDMI and DP.

Like signal strenght or issues or how the internals are between DP and HDMI, or if hdmi should be a lot better as with the mentioned problems and standard issues to communication between devices.

33 minutes ago, Error 52 said:

Was sorta funny how Samsung sponsored this video when one of their cables was one of the few to fail.

Incidentally (and this might make a good TechQuickie video or whatever, honestly), what's the reason for using DisplayPort only on monitors and HDMI only on TVs? DisplayPort in general just seems like generally a lot more rebust and less glitchy standard.

It might be due to TV motherboards and SOCs made for HDMI being cheaper or more available than DisplayPort. That and consumers are more familiar with HDMI on TVs. Most stuff you would connect to a TV has HDMI only so at that is basically and infinite loop.

TVs have HDMI --> Devices have HDMI to work with TVs --> TVs have HDMI to support devices. 

It should be noted that HDMI can carry Ethernet which could be useful in some situations. HDMI also supports Audio Return Channel (ARC) which many use for their surround setup. 

This confirms my suspicion that my Samsung cable is bad. I had weird flashing and artifact issues with my Samsung odyssey g9. Haven't had those since I switched the cable.

7 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

this made me a little confused, as when maybe a video that might cover the differences between HDMI and DP.

Like signal strenght or issues or how the internals are between DP and HDMI, or if hdmi should be a lot better as with the mentioned problems and standard issues.

There's no better or worse, It depends DisplayPort is rare on TVs so you're probably using HDMI for your TV. HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC is roughly equivalent for the average user with a 4K, 144Hz, HDR display.

HDMI has home cinema advantages such as Ethernet and Audio Return Channel (ARC).

May I ask for a different spreadsheet sharing link? The view provided does not allow any normal operations on the spreadsheet, like I cannot adjust column width. That actually blocks me from seeing full text in many of the cells. Also without filtering functions it is hard to use the data.

But still, great work! That's super valuable data even most of them passed tests.

They really need to have a follow-up video to this one addressing the fact that display port cables sometimes don't let the monitor go to sleep.

3 minutes ago, kris44dad said:

don't let the monitor go to sleep.

😪 its quite nice to have, when it works. instead of having a monitor to use a timer to go to sleep.

3 hours ago, bashNinja said:

I would love to see USB-C to Display Port Cables tested. I feel like those cables are much more likely to be unreliable. 

I'd also love to see that, I've never had one work reliably or for longer than a week. I'm using a USB-C dock with HDMI now instead.

17 hours ago, bashNinja said:

I would love to see USB-C to Display Port Cables tested. I feel like those cables are much more likely to be unreliable. 

Same. though you would need various adapters

from branded ones [name brand, available in stores]

to unbranded from aliexpress/wish

To branded/good reviewed ones on aliexpress/wish.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

21 hours ago, Error 52 said:

i really like your pfp who is in ur pfp?

3 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

i really like your pfp who is in ur pfp?

idk lol, stumbled on it on twitter

On 1/22/2022 at 12:42 PM, kris44dad said:

They really need to have a follow-up video to this one addressing the fact that display port cables sometimes don't let the monitor go to sleep.

YES this. I got a longer DP cable and my monitor would keep turning on and off when I put my PC to sleep and I had no idea why it was happening until I saw the comments of the video. I was looking at updating the monitor drivers and the settings and Windows and everything but nothing would fix it. 

Also, side note, the locking mechanism is a pain to use since getting the cable out is not easy at all. 

This might explain why cable issues have been so hard in the past.. Samsung and acer cables in particular.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I had a thread on the display cable not letting the monitor shut off when I first went to dual monitors. Up to that point, I've been using DVI. According to that other thread, this is a common display port issue.

I haven't forgotten about adding the PDF's of the test reports, the cable tester is just being used elsewhere and I'm unable to rip the tests off just yet. 

On 1/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, Pawz2142 said:

Is the UHBR10 testing still in progress? Seems a bit odd that the only cables that claimed to be 2.0 and UHBR10 are on the Amazon Top 9 list. Also, what the heck is is a Versa certification for a DP cable and did none of those pass UHBR10 either? As someone looking to get some 2.0 cables the spreadsheet isn't as useful as I hoped.

Just buy 1.4 cables because you literally cant use 2.0 yet? 

If you look at the notes I did test 1x of all the triplicate cables to UHBR10 speeds. 

20 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

Just buy 1.4 cables because you literally cant use 2.0 yet? 

If you look at the notes I did test 1x of all the triplicate cables to UHBR10 speeds. 

Why buy 2.0? Simple, futureproofing. If you can buy once and not worry about hooking up a next gen monitor with a tech you're looking forward to, then why not.

So I've I'm reading the spreadsheet right then the only cable to reliably pass UHBR10 were the Blue Jeans cables and maybe, potentially, the cables listed on the Amazon top 9?

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a cable on eBay to connect my laptop's mini DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 on the LG C9 (It is still in shipping). I always wanted to try 4k 120 on this TV but was not able to find a way to connect until I came up on the cable in eBay. Don't know if testing between different ports is even possible using the  Cable Tester lol

• 1 month later...

Uhm can't find it, but did they ever do USB-c cable testing? I had it my head that they did 😛 

• 5 months later...
On 1/25/2022 at 4:50 PM, ColinLTT said:

I haven't forgotten about adding the PDF's of the test reports, the cable tester is just being used elsewhere and I'm unable to rip the tests off just yet. 

Have the PDF's of the test reports been posted?

20 hours ago, timko said:

Have the PDF's of the test reports been posted?

Colin no longer works for LMG so I imagine at this point there won't be one but the google spreadsheet was posted at least. I imagine theoretically the eventual LTT Labs would house something for it maybe? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ1maB_K91AwicWl-I7aBgOn2FrJPqsVuGHTw3LWLesO1r9bgDN8o7O3ynXk0WFO7y5iE0-8xJ1TR1p/pubhtml#?lsrp=1