Samsung 870 EVO read speed issue

Kivi

Hello!

Less than a year ago, I bought 2x Samsung 870 500gigabyte SSDs. Now one of them crawled to a halt 2 weeks after I got it, read speeds went down to about 1 MB/s when copying files, and it was generally unusable, now I assumed that it was just a one-off defective drive, so I made nothing of it. Now however my second drive did the same, and I ran the Samsung Magician utility thing on it updated the firmware (which it said was out of date) to see if that helped, it did not. When copying a large file from the SSD, it shows between 1.5 MB/s and 300 kB/s.
I have also run the Magician software's own benchmark and the disk check. The disk check reported "The drive is in good condition" and the benchmark showed very, very low sequential reads, around 10 MB/s. (screenshots attached for both).
(I have both of the SSDs still on hand and willing to do some testing)

So now I feel like this seems to be a systematic issue with this class of drive, anyone knows something about this? Is this a known thing that I have just missed?

Thanks for any help or info on this!

The performance benchmark, as seen in the Samsung Magician software:

image.png.468f1002281b713d945e2a93beb48a0a.png

The diagnostic check thing:

image.png.461913bd254c7423f7ab944444e014fe.png

Edited by Kivi

Toss up the SMART results from a program like CrystalDiskInfo. May show any abnormalities if they exist. I mean, for example, slow reads could be caused by massive latency through error and parity correction, which will be obvious by the SMART data, although I think that's very unlikely in your case. You would next probably want to check performance/resource monitors on Windows while accessing the drive to see if it's truly pinging at 100% and, if so, if there's something consuming the read performance (e.g. AV). Since it's both drives it may be something else like your SATA controller which is dependent on the board (some boards will use two controllers, so you could test for that) or a chipset/PCH issue (including SATA drivers); SATA ports can go bad but if it's more than one port in a short period of time it's probably the controller.

33 minutes ago, NewMaxx said:

Toss up the SMART results from a program like CrystalDiskInfo. May show any abnormalities if they exist. I mean, for example, slow reads could be caused by massive latency through error and parity correction, which will be obvious by the SMART data, although I think that's very unlikely in your case. You would next probably want to check performance/resource monitors on Windows while accessing the drive to see if it's truly pinging at 100% and, if so, if there's something consuming the read performance (e.g. AV). Since it's both drives it may be something else like your SATA controller which is dependent on the board (some boards will use two controllers, so you could test for that) or a chipset/PCH issue (including SATA drivers); SATA ports can go bad but if it's more than one port in a short period of time it's probably the controller.

Here is my crystal disk info view.
Also on the other notes, this is not an issue that has been going on, this is new no port switch no anything, why would it be using a different controller and why does it not happen with anything else?
I have done a bunch of testing on resource monitor while I was still thinking it was an issue with games loading not the SSD, and the results are as follows:
The disk is truly pegged at 100% with the queue being full all the time, however despite this no process actually reads a lot from the disk, sometimes its the game that is trying to load sometimes its the system process, but nothing ever reads from it quickly even tho the usage is at 100%, but usually its the system process that reads a bit more, I also put an old screenshot about this here from the first SSD slowing down.
(I know it's an easy conclusion to just say windows AV or search indexing or whatever, BUT just look at the total read speed... it's barely a MB/s, and I also have disabled real time protection and windows search indexing)

image.png.8681fdba35296489f2bf9c9dd1558657.png

1627464841712.png

Everything looks good there. You can actually test/benchmark in safe mode also to rule out software and drivers to some extent.

By controller I meant SATA controller, are there other SATA devices that work properly? It could also be a compatibility issue. I'm not aware of specific issue with that SSD model - the internal SSD controller is just an updated version of their MxX line which goes back almost a decade.

• 2 weeks later...