Can i host my own vps??

GoatMan
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
6 minutes ago, GoatMan said:

i cant get it to work it is saying connection timed out

You're probably best off starting a new thread specifically for enabling remote access, detailing what software you're trying to use, what router you're using and what you've already done to try to get it working. 

Connection timed out could be caused by a thousand different things. 

Can i host a vps from my pc and accses it from anywhere and if i can then how??   prefered debian 10

If you are trying to host your own "VPS" and you are certain that you need a "VPS":

• Get a commercial internet connection and IP ranges from your ISP.
  • Chose a hypervisor (like ESXI, PROXMOX, OpenVZ, KVM)
  • Install Debian as a VM.
  • Assign one of the IP ranges you bought to the server.
  • Done.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

All a VPS is, is a virtual machine. So yeah, you can just set up a Debian VM. 

Accessing it from anywhere is a bit different. Technically, all you need is to expose whatever port your remote connection tool uses (RDP, VNC etc.) and forward it to the local IP of them VM. However, this generally isn't a great idea from a security perspective. Better option is to also set up a VPN so you can connect to that, and then access the VM through the VPN. Some routers have VPN features built in, but there's plenty of tutorials on how to setup something like OpenVPN. 

EDIT: Post above reminded me, you'll probably need to setup Dynamic DNS as consumer internet connections very rarely have static IP addresses and are subject to change. 

18 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

All a VPS is, is a virtual machine. So yeah, you can just set up a Debian VM. 

Accessing it from anywhere is a bit different. Technically, all you need is to expose whatever port your remote connection tool uses (RDP, VNC etc.) and forward it to the local IP of them VM. However, this generally isn't a great idea from a security perspective. Better option is to also set up a VPN so you can connect to that, and then access the VM through the VPN. Some routers have VPN features built in, but there's plenty of tutorials on how to setup something like OpenVPN. 

EDIT: Post above reminded me, you'll probably need to setup Dynamic DNS as consumer internet connections very rarely have static IP addresses and are subject to change. 

i have a debian vps running on my pc and i can connect to it from the pc i am hosting it on but i cant accses it from outside the house

1 minute ago, GoatMan said:

i have a debian vps running on my pc and i can connect to it from the pc i am hosting it on but i cant accses it from outside the house

Yes, you'll need to setup firewall and port forwarding rules as I mentioned. A VPN is the best solution, so I'd advise reading up on port forwarding and setting up a VPN for external access. 

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, you'll need to setup firewall and port forwarding rules as I mentioned. A VPN is the best solution, so I'd advise reading up on port forwarding and setting up a VPN for external access. 

ok i will try and if it dosent work i will get back to this

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

6 minutes ago, GoatMan said:

You're probably best off starting a new thread specifically for enabling remote access, detailing what software you're trying to use, what router you're using and what you've already done to try to get it working. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

ok