I put the CPU cable over the motherboard.

Hello, I had a prebuilt pc that I upgraded over the years and I put the cpu cable over the motherboard because I didnt understand that it was meant to go behind. Is there a way for me to put the cable through or would it require me to fully remove the board. I made a mistake on the case I got when building it, Its very average and I would rather have gotten a better one for a little more cash so the screw holes on the case are a little worn as I have unscrewed stuff a few times now already so I don't really like to unscrew much anymore. Thanks.

Don't worry about it.  The cable is routed through the back for the looks. 

Electrically, it's really not a big deal if the cable goes across the motherboard to that connector, as long as it's not damaged by other things (for example a video card compressing the cable or individual wires in the cable between the video card and the motherboard) 

You also want to pay attention not to pinch individual wires (by pinch I mean accidentally cut the insulation on the wires in the cable)

17 minutes ago, Cringe123 said:

Hello, I had a prebuilt pc that I upgraded over the years and I put the cpu cable over the motherboard because I didnt understand that it was meant to go behind. Is there a way for me to put the cable through or would it require me to fully remove the board. I made a mistake on the case I got when building it, Its very average and I would rather have gotten a better one for a little more cash so the screw holes on the case are a little worn as I have unscrewed stuff a few times now already so I don't really like to unscrew much anymore. Thanks.

Well, is there a place to go through to the other side of the case?

It doesn't always have to be under the motherboard, mine is on the other side of the case, along with many other cables.
We can't exactly tell you how or where since we don't know what PC Case you are using, or what the inside looks like if it's custom pc case. (Hint, take a pic)

If your cable isn't long enough there's 2 method you can use :
1. Buy a decent cable extender

2. take off the motherboard and route it. Experienced peoples can route it under the motherboard without taking the motherboard off, but yeah, I won't advise doing it if you're not used to it.

Usually peoples route it under the motherboard because the cable isn't long enough to go from the other side in their pc case.
But then again mostly it needs to be a flat type cable.

As long it doesn't interfere with anything. It's fine even if it's over the motherboard, it just doesn't look nice aesthetically.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=eps+extension+cable

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Don't worry about it.  The cable is routed through the back for the looks. 

Electrically, it's really not a big deal if the cable goes across the motherboard to that connector, as long as it's not damaged by other things (for example a video card compressing the cable or individual wires in the cable between the video card and the motherboard) 

You also want to pay attention not to pinch individual wires (by pinch I mean accidentally cut the insulation on the wires in the cable)

Thanks for your reply. I know that there isnt an issue, I've actually used this pc for a year now with it going over the board. For some reason I cant stand the cable looking so ugly over the board, I think If my case didnt have a glass side panel I wouldnt care as I cant see inside, but I do so It just really bothers me. 

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, is there a place to go through to the other side of the case?
It doesn't always have to be under the motherboard, mine is on the other side of the case, along with many other cables.

If your cable isn't long enough there's 2 method you can use :
1. Buy a decent cable extender

2. take off the motherboard and route it. Experienced peoples can route it under the motherboard without taking the motherboard off, but yeah, I won't advise doing it if you're not used to it.

Usually peoples route it under the motherboard because the cable isn't long enough to go from the other side in their pc case.
But then again mostly it needs to be a flat type cable.

Thanks for your reply. I would not mind removing the board entirely and then putting it back on with the cable under if my case was better, However the more I open the case up the more worn the screw holes and screws get. I would buy a new case but it feels like a waste buying a new case to replace my old one that I bought just a year ago. My CPU cable was just barely too short to reach it the other way you mentioned when I tried it last time.

13 minutes ago, Cringe123 said:

Thanks for your reply. I would not mind removing the board entirely and then putting it back on with the cable under if my case was better, However the more I open the case up the more worn the screw holes and screws get. I would buy a new case but it feels like a waste buying a new case to replace my old one that I bought just a year ago. My CPU cable was just barely too short to reach it the other way you mentioned when I tried it last time.

Just buy a cable extension off newegg or amazon.
I think there's several budget brand that are decent enough in quality.
Like maybe around $20-$35 for a full set (Atx, EPS, and PCI-E)
or go full custom with Cablemod.

Just make sure you read the description of what cables the set consists of before you buy.
Depending on your system you might need to buy more than 1 set.
Example : If you are using x2 or more 4+4 EPS, and x3 or more PCI-E

Cablemod, well, more expensive, better kind of sleeving, you can configure colors and what the set consists of.
No leftover unused cable.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

3 hours ago, Cringe123 said:

However the more I open the case up the more worn the screw holes and screws get. I would buy a new case but it feels like a waste buying a new case to replace my old one that I bought just a year ago. 

What kind of cheap-ass case do you have that can't stand normal use? Or you are not using the right screwdriver and tightening the screws so hard that you taste blood in your mouth?

On 1/22/2022 at 3:47 PM, Mattias Edeslatt said:

What kind of cheap-ass case do you have that can't stand normal use? Or you are not using the right screwdriver and tightening the screws so hard that you taste blood in your mouth?

Its probably a mixture of me and the case. This was my first build and it came from a prebuilt I was using previously. I wanted a new gpu but my old case wouldnt fit it so I bought a new case. I also needed a new power supply for the gpu so I got a much better psu. I had to wait a year to get the gpu due to prices. I eventually got it a few months ago. Then for some reason my motherboards ram slot pin broke (still no idea how) so I got a new better motherboard. It's been opened at least 12 times because of me adding components or from when I was finding out why my pc wouldnt boot when the board was broken. Only 1 of the screw holes doesnt work, the others still work fine. For some reason im terrible at screwing stuff in and I always end up stripping the screw holes or screw after a few times even if Im using the correct size screwdriver.