Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Replacing a case and motherboard for University

Go to solution Solved by Alvin853,

There aren't many small cases that offer external drive slots for your blu-ray drive, would you be okay with moving the blu-ray drive to a USB-enclosure? If the drive has to be in the case, then maybe a Fractal Design Core 500 would be a good option. 

Mainboard is going to be more tricky, socket 1150 boards are very outdated, you will have to look on the used market for those. And most likely there won't be many ITX boards available on the used market, those weren't really a thing back when socket 1150 was available. So an upgrade might be the better option here. Maybe something like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xXJypH

Hello,
Soon I will be moving to university, I was looking to bring my computer there as it has most of my stuff on it. Howerver I feel right now the case is too big for a small dorm room, so I've come here looking for some suggestions on small cases that would fit all the things I currently have inside my computer, I would also have to replace the moterboard due to the current one being a non-standard dumb Dell thing.  I do have a few requirements for the case and motherboard.

Case: Black or white is fine, but I don't want any transparant window or anything, a little RGB is fine but I don't want to go overboard. The case should also include some fans.
Motherboard: nothing too much required for me apart from just a good selection of IO (including front IO) and enough sata connections for the blu-ray drive, storage drive and the front IO ports

Thank you for all the help, here below is some infomation about my build and buget:

Budget: £200-£400
Current components excluding motherboard and case:
Graphics card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini
Power supply: Evga 500 W1 (ASIN: B01E4YRP8W)
CPU: Intel core i7-4790
Drive: Samsung 2TB 860 QVO

blu-ray drive: ASUS BC-12D2HT 12X Blu-Ray Combo (ASIN: B00F0SQL6O)

There aren't many small cases that offer external drive slots for your blu-ray drive, would you be okay with moving the blu-ray drive to a USB-enclosure? If the drive has to be in the case, then maybe a Fractal Design Core 500 would be a good option. 

Mainboard is going to be more tricky, socket 1150 boards are very outdated, you will have to look on the used market for those. And most likely there won't be many ITX boards available on the used market, those weren't really a thing back when socket 1150 was available. So an upgrade might be the better option here. Maybe something like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xXJypH