Small business Server

Ethan F

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on a direction to go with purchasing and setting up a server. My father has asked me to find out information to get a server for his small business. All it would be used for is digital storage, a server for our website, and possibly double as a home entertainer NAS if possible. Any help would be appreciated and if you need more info ask away, not sure exactly what to include. Thanks!

Just did some more digging and found the  Synology DS720+. Would that be a better fit for my uses?

How much storage do you need?

Id highly suggest you host your website with a web host. much more reliable, ddos protection, not a security risk, and pretty cheap for a small site.

Id probably go cloud only for most small buiness stuff these. More reliable, less up keep, less hassle, works in any location, more secure.

Whats your backup plans with that nas? You always want to plan for the whole nas to fail and no access to data(even with data recovery)

Hosting a local website is bad unless it's just for testing, or fiddling with a minecraft server. Production web servers or mail servers belong on a host...in the cloud.

For just storing lots of files locally a Synology is great. They can backup to an external USB or to the cloud.

They also don't stop working when your internet dies....like Comcast has done tonight with my business accounts forcing my Firewall ISP failover policies to kick in hammering me with SMTP warning messages. So much for the cloud being more reliable than local storage.