Got a 3060 and now kind of depressed about its pricing

Quartz11
Go to solution Solved by Vishera,
26 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

And everywhere you look, there are discussions saying how RTX 3060 is just so underpowered, "buy a 3060 Ti at the least" and such.

Anyone who says that the 3060 is not enough is wrong.

Currently the 3060 can run 1440p with any game out there,even the most demanding ones like Cyberpunk 2077.

So I have been looking for a deal on a GPU for the past year and a half.  Normally I get a **70 or at least **60 Ti version of an nVidia card or an AMD equivalent for two home computers: one mine and one for my family member.  Of course recently it's been impossible due to crazy inflation and lack of stock.  My budget was usually $300-400 for high end cards after waiting close to a year for sales or used / open box prices.

Now recently my EVGA queue finally went through after about 10 months in the queue, and even though they had increased the MSRP since the time I signed up (by $70!), I decided to go for the card, because when else would I have such an opportunity.  It turned out to be $428 after shipping and tax and 3% discount.  I can't really complain -- I got a card when many people are still stuck waiting.  But my problem is a lot of internal complaining: why did I not register for a 3060 Ti at the same time?  It would have only been a bit more.  But I didn't, and it's too late now.   A 3060 on 1440p is nothing to write home about, but okay, I guess.  Worth $430 though?  Hard to say...

So what do you think: is it worth paying $200 extra (after shipping and tax) to step up to 3060 Ti via their Step Up program?  It shouldn't be that much, but of course they only have their most expensive Ti model offered for the step-up program, and I got their cheapest 3060...  That ends up being $628 for 3060 Ti, and at that point it just seems crazy, since maybe a year from now we'll have the 4000 series. 

What do you think?  What would you do in my position?  Keeping in mind that I'm not in a dire need of a new GPU, my multiple-generations-old Radeon is still working fine on my main desktop.  It would just be nice to finally upgrade and have better GPU acceleration for photo editing and better game settings.  I just built my new system after a long time last April, only the GPU is old.

stop drop and continue using a gtx 770

(What I've been doing the last year)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

8 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

is it worth paying $200 extra to step up to 3060 Ti via their Step Up program?

No.It's not worth it.

Getting 25% more performance for 50% more money is not worth it.

The 3060 is pretty good,even for 1440p.

Also considering the amount you paid for it - it's a good deal.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

No.It's not worth it.

Yeah. And DLSS is way better than I thought. Cybeerpunk is defo playable at 4k with DLSS and looks amazing. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

47 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

So I have been looking for a deal on a GPU for the past year and a half.  Normally I get a **70 or at least **60 Ti version of an nVidia card or an AMD equivalent for two home computers: one mine and one for my family member.  Of course recently it's been impossible due to crazy inflation and lack of stock.  My budget was usually $300-400 for high end cards after waiting close to a year for sales or used / open box prices.

Now recently my EVGA queue finally went through after about 10 months in the queue, and even though they had increased the MSRP since the time I signed up (by $70!), I decided to go for the card, because when else would I have such an opportunity.  It turned out to be $428 after shipping and tax and 3% discount.  I can't really complain -- I got a card when many people are still stuck waiting.  But my problem is a lot of internal complaining: why did I not register for a 3060 Ti at the same time?  It would have only been a bit more.  But I didn't, and it's too late now.   A 3060 on 1440p is nothing to write home about, but okay, I guess.  Worth $430 though?  Hard to say...

So what do you think: is it worth paying $200 extra to step up to 3060 Ti via their Step Up program?  It shouldn't be that much, but of course they only have their most expensive Ti model offered for the step-up program, and I got their cheapest 3060...  That ends up being $628 for 3060 Ti, and at that point it just seems crazy, since maybe a year from now we'll have the 4000 series. 

What do you think?  What would you do in my position?  Keeping in mind that I'm not in a dire need of a new GPU, my multiple-generations-old Radeon is still working fine on my main desktop.  It would just be nice to finally upgrade and have better GPU acceleration for photo editing and better game settings.  I just built my new system after a long time last April, only the GPU is old.

Sure you could've registered for a Ti, does it mean you'll surely get a chance to buy it by now? who knows.

I'd just enjoy the 3060, at the very least for now.
Your old one is old Radeon, and now you got a 3060, that's an upgrade already. No?

Me, still stuck with 660, still photoshopping on it.
Pretty sure any of the current gen GPU gonna feel like a ferrari compared to it.

But then again, I don't play competitive game.
And I don't turn on FPS counter when playing casual game, breaks immersion.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

You must be having a laugh mate!
I'm still gaming on a 4790k/ asus z97-k with hd 5870 😛

weird flex, especially after getting a 3060 at such a low price.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

weird flex, especially after getting a 3060 at such a low price.

I knew such posts would come for no good reason.  There are ways of getting cards at or near MSRP if one waits long enough.  For example I waited for *10 months* in the EVGA queue to buy my card.  Even that was not at true MSRP, as when I registered it was at $329, but when it was time to buy it was listed at $400.   I'm still using an R9 290X, btw, haven't opened the new card yet.

4 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

I knew such posts would come for no good reason.  There are ways of getting cards at or near MSRP if one waits long enough.  For example I waited for *10 months* in the EVGA queue to buy my card.  Even that was not at true MSRP, as when I registered it was at $329, but when it was time to buy it was listed at $400.   I'm still using an R9 290X, btw, haven't opened the new card yet.

well you asked what we think...

btw the card you want to upgrade to cost about the same as my 3070 did (700) and that wasn't "msrp" either.

and yeah, if you wait long enough, but you didnt?

still, overall nobody is entitled to msrp, and especially at this time, yeah, most people will pay more for what they *want*. 

Also you seem unaware that Nvidia deliberately set a low msrp because they knew scalping would be a problem, otherwise this makes zero sense, Nvidia typically rises prices, thats what business do, this time they actually *lowered* them. madness. but yes if you're so inclined you can probably get one at "msrp". or a 4000 card, but you never know, i kinda expect Nvidia to be less generous next gen.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well you asked what we think...

btw the card you want to upgrade to cost about the same as my 3070 did (700) and that wasn't "msrp" either.

and yeah, if you wait long enough, but you didnt?

still, overall nobody is entitled to msrp, and especially at this time, yeah, most people will pay more for what they *want*. 

Also you seem unaware that Nvidia deliberately set a low msrp because they knew scalping would be a problem, otherwise this makes zero sense, Nvidia typically rises prices, thats what business do, this time they actually *lowered* them. madness. but yes if you're so inclined you can probably get one at "msrp". or a 4000 card, but you never know, i kinda expect Nvidia to be less generous next gen.

Unlike most other posts in this thread, yours didn't actually add anything to address the actual questions I had.  You just have some issue with my "weird flex" or whatever you want to see it as and want to educate me on MSRP.  I've been building computers from scratch for myself, my family, and my friends for 15 years, and I am very well educated on MSRP, looking for deals, etc.  The current situation is completely out of the normal for everyone, and adjusting to this new normal is difficult.  If you know that your replies are more to be snarky than add useful information, then perhaps don't post them.

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

No.It's not worth it.

That's a good point, do I need [up to] 25% more performance?  I guess since I don't at the moment, so I can just stick with the card I got and not worry about spending $200 more.  When I do upgrade to 4K in a year or two, the GPU market might well be very different already.  If it's enough for 1440p, it's fine.  It's just the long-term thing that I question, because I tend to keep my GPUs for at least 2-3 generations of releases.  So my next upgrade could be an RTX 5*** or even RTX6*** series.  And everywhere you look, there are discussions saying how RTX 3060 is just so underpowered, "buy a 3060 Ti at the least" and such.

26 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

And everywhere you look, there are discussions saying how RTX 3060 is just so underpowered, "buy a 3060 Ti at the least" and such.

Currently the 3060 can run 1440p with any game out there,even the most demanding ones like Cyberpunk 2077.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It depends on the settings, game and a persons definition of "playable".  There were several titles released over the last year that stretch that definition even having a 3080.  I'm not pure 1440p though my ultrawide is 3440x1440.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

19 minutes ago, ewitte said:

It depends on the settings, game and a persons definition of "playable".  There were several titles released over the last year that stretch that definition even having a 3080.  I'm not pure 1440p though my ultrawide is 3440x1440.

I'm glad I don't play those games, not that I could, as I'm still on an R9 290x.  Sometimes I wish I could see more game tests than just the few most popular and latest ones, as some games are less well optimized and more CPU-bound, for example.  I have a great CPU now, but still limited to PCI-E 3.0, not 4.0.  That doesn't really matter much for 3060 I guess, more if I wanted to "min-max" cards like 6600XT which is only x8.

6 hours ago, Quartz11 said:

Depends buddy.

I live in south east asia, most queue system refuse to either accept orders or send to my country.
No queue system locally, and all the local distro is scalping the price as well. Which then scalped even more by the retailers.

So yeah, unless I secure someone in the US to receive the GPU and then send it to me (which will add maybe around $100 for the cheapest shipping), then subjected to 15% luxury tax. MSRP is kinda a pipedream.

Even after doing that, I have to hope the card arrive without damage, and I will have no distro warranty. If it breaks, I have to send it to USA to claim warranty. Local distro won't take it.

5 hours ago, Quartz11 said:

For me right now, anyone who says that kinda stuffs is either a troll or being ignorant, or simply wants to flex their wallet.
I myself kinda stopped caring about what people think. Kinda makes life easier.
If availability isn't an issue, and peoples can buy it at original MSRP price. sure.
But the current situation isn't like that. The current situation is that we'd congratulate someone who secured a used 2000 series at non scalped price.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

20 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Depends buddy.

I live in south east asia, most queue system refuse to either accept orders or send to my country.
No queue system locally, and all the local distro is scalping the price as well. Which then scalped even more by the retailers.

So yeah, unless I secure someone in the US to receive the GPU and then send it to me (which will add maybe around $100 for the cheapest shipping), then subjected to 15% luxury tax. MSRP is kinda a pipedream.

Well yeah, different countries, different situation.  That's always the case for everything.  I guess I should have noted that I'm in the US and my post concerns the US purchases.  I'm sorry it's so much more difficult in your country 😞

10 hours ago, Quartz11 said:

The EVGA queue is one of the best ways to get a GPU in my opinion, especially if you aren't near a Microcenter, or haven't won the Newegg shuffle. And  I think $400 is more than a 3060 should cost, but newegg is selling them for over $600.

Also if you register the card with EVGA you can enter the step up program, not sure how much extra it is to upgrade to a 3070 though.

14 hours ago, mapegl said:

Yeah. And DLSS is way better than I thought. Cybeerpunk is defo playable at 4k with DLSS and looks amazing. 

With a 3060 ti? lol

Maybe if you reduce the turn the settings all the way down, or if you call 30-40 fps playable.

The 3060 ti is for 1440p gaming. It's a decent gpu, but not worth the $628 OP said. I got one for 480 EUR (with tax) just when it got out, and even that was inflated price. I would say that's about the max price, if it has a decent cooler. I got the gigabyte eagle oc and coming from 1070 msi gaming x, I was quite disappointed with the fan noise and coil whine.

2 hours ago, maremp said:

With a 3060 ti? lol

Maybe if you reduce the turn the settings all the way down, or if you call 30-40 fps playable.

The 3060 ti is for 1440p gaming. It's a decent gpu, but not worth the $628 OP said. I got one for 480 EUR (with tax) just when it got out, and even that was inflated price. I would say that's about the max price, if it has a decent cooler. I got the gigabyte eagle oc and coming from 1070 msi gaming x, I was quite disappointed with the fan noise and coil whine.

I set DLSS performance at 4K and get very playable framerates. usually around 50. I do have a gsync monitor and cyberpunk isn't exactly reliant on 144hz so it is very smooth. Settings are around medium. 

Native 4k is impossible, sure. But when sitting in front of a TV with a reasonable distance, I personally cant tell the difference between 4k native and 4k DLSS. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

On 1/22/2022 at 7:01 AM, mapegl said:

I set DLSS performance at 4K and get very playable framerates. usually around 50. I do have a gsync monitor and cyberpunk isn't exactly reliant on 144hz so it is very smooth. Settings are around medium. 

Native 4k is impossible, sure. But when sitting in front of a TV with a reasonable distance, I personally cant tell the difference between 4k native and 4k DLSS. 

So many underestimate DLSS.  I never set under DLSS quality but I'm also running a faster card.  Also it does better at 4k then 1440p ultrawide.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator