Is Oracle Cloud the best FREE tier web services?

Nomecone

So I am about halfway through my trial and have learned a ton that I always wanted to learn by trying out the Oracle service. I searched here and saw a mention or two of oracle free tier but did not see a topic.

What I'm on about: https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/ or https://developer.oracle.com/free/

I am a newb and a fool so with that is out of the way I will continue.

I crossed paths with the service while looking up Counter Strike:Source server install guides. It was actually a CS:GO guide which excited me because if the VPS can run CS:GO it should do even better with CS:S.

https://blogs.oracle.com/developers/post/create-host-your-own-dedicated-counter-strike-global-offensive-csgo-server-for-free-forever

Why this CS:S garbage? : For posterity of my old clan that is pretty much dead to have a place to never play and never hang out anymore. Which indirectly answers the question of why I want free.

I have no clue how to use all the stack stuff. This is my first time getting game servers going on my own on a VPS and really doing anything with a machine without a GUI. 

What I am running:

Fast Download webserver for maps/mods VM.Standard.A1.Flex; 4 OCPU Processor: 2.8 GHz Ampere Altra™ 80C; 24 GB; 4 Gbps; 50GB 

Gameserver 1 and 2 VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro; 1 OCPU Processor: 2.0 GHz AMD EPYC™ 7551 (Naples); 1 GB; 0.48 Gbps; 50GB

Testing VPS VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro; 1 OCPU Processor: 2.0 GHz AMD EPYC™ 7551 (Naples); 1 GB; 0.48 Gbps; 50GB

I have not attempted yet but think the max single VPS you could build/select is VM.Standard.A1.Flex; 4 OCPU; 24 GB; 4 Gbps; 200GB. By adding all your free block volume to the one machine.

I am scratching the surface here. Does anyone here use this service?  Is this even good or am I just amazed because I know so little?

oracle.PNG

• 10 months later...

(Thread necro... don't care.)

It's pretty great for free, huh? I've set up a single VM.Standard.A1.Flex, with default stats (47GB storage), that I use for both Terraria & Minecraft.

It's just for a few of us, & only ever one game or the other, while the second app happily sits idle in the background.

Bit of a learning curve setting it up - trying to get the right Java version for Minecraft, Mono for Terraria, all the networking/firewall rubbish... but got there in the end.

And I still have 153GB spare that I can attach to one or two VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro instances... I was thinking maybe a personal cloud storage, like an alternative OneDrive/DropBox, but haven't looked into it yet.