Windows install, no display signal picked up by portable monitor.

Setting up windows (first boot, win10 already on ssd boot drive) my portable display isn't not picking up signal over USB or HDMI. I got a new mini pc but all I have is a portable monitor and it doesn't seem to work without windows already set up. (it uses window generic PnP drivers but also works on phones,windows laptop and stuff). it only have mini HDMI and USB type C input, I have all the wires for Hdmi to mini HDMI and regular HDMI stuff and a HDMI to type c adapter and i have lots of type C cables. I have about 20GBP (around 27USD) budget left. It is currently displaying "no signal" 

Please suggest ways i can get things working.

Well it could be a bad monitor a bad computer or a bad cable.  Trouble shooting is a lot easier to do if you reduce the number of unknowns to one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

same cable, same computer on my friend's tv it worked fine but no signal for my monitor... I am now confused and my monitor works with my other computers... 

3 hours ago, A Fading Shadow said:

same cable, same computer on my friend's tv it worked fine but no signal for my monitor... I am now confused and my monitor works with my other computers... 

this could be a weird signal processing thing.  This monitor sounds like it has extra stuff in it to make it usable with phones.  That same stuff might cause problems for things that can use monitors normally.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

this could be a weird signal processing thing.  This monitor sounds like it has extra stuff in it to make it usable with phones.  That same stuff might cause problems for things that can use monitors normally.

I think so too but I have no clue how to solve it without costing much. would an active kvm hdmi switch do anything? or would an HDMI EDID Manager do the job, it is the closest i can think of but Its the monitor not he singal source.

5 hours ago, A Fading Shadow said:

I think so too but I have no clue how to solve it without costing much. would an active kvm hdmi switch do anything? or would an HDMI EDID Manager do the job, it is the closest i can think of but Its the monitor not he singal source.

something cheaper might be easier to find if what the extra stuff was was known.  A cheesy work around might be a junk monitor.  Some old $20 thing.  The portable image can’t be all that great.

Edited by Bombastinator

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

something cheaper might be easier to find if what the extra stuff was was known.  A cheesy work around might be a junk monitor.  Some old $20 thing.  The portable image can’t be all that great.

it is a 4k 60hz touch screen, so the cheapest i can find is around 19gbp and the better ones about 25gbp (Ican feedback to touch input via usb)

I assumed a portable touch screen for phones would be more in the 1080p or smaller range.  Might speak about what the thing is doing though. It would have to take whatever sort of signal and convert it to 4k@60 before it could display stuff.  This may be the bugbear.  The thing probably doesn’t have the setting for the kind of video that comes out of what you have for a source.  Sounds like you need a copy of the manual.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I assumed a portable touch screen for phones would be more in the 1080p or smaller range.  Might speak about what the thing is doing though. It would have to take whatever sort of signal and convert it to 4k@60 before it could display stuff.  This may be the bugbear.  The thing probably doesn’t have the setting for the kind of video that comes out of what you have for a source.  Sounds like you need a copy of the manual.

well the manual never said anything because everything is auto and the res can only be set by the OS and you can only adjust brightness, volume (for the built-in speaker), colours, preset modes and source, HDR on/off, DC eye protection mode and shows the display and power mode it is in  on the monitor built-in controls 

Just now, A Fading Shadow said:

well the manual never said anything because everything is auto and the res can only be set by the OS and you can only adjust brightness, volume (for the built-in speaker), colours, preset modes and source, HDR on/off, DC eye protection mode and shows the display and power mode it is in  on the monitor built-in controls 

Well shit.  I suppose if there’s no controls they don’t have to say anything.  One may have to manipulate the source to produce a kind of output it can detect and convert to.

well, i took 20pounds out of my snacks budget and ordered a HDIM multitool since i kinda always wanted one, we shall see in 2days. 

i mean if it doesn't work for this I have other uses for it as well so I not really losing anything.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

oh, also i forgot to say, i have a sony xperia 1 iii which is 4k

On 1/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, Bombastinator said:

Well shit.  I suppose if there’s no controls they don’t have to say anything.  One may have to manipulate the source to produce a kind of output it can detect and convert to.

well I tried to replace the intel graphics driver and now it works, thanks to my friend's TV

but now my display signal go out for a seconds or so ever half an hour or so... hope the EDID manager arriving tomorrow can smooth out the reconnections