need help with 12900k ddr4 build

wakko89

Budget (including currency): 5000 euro´s

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: warzone,world of warcraft,FF7 remake,ableton,photoshop

Other details motherboard i allready have (asus rog strix z690-A wifi D4) also monitor or monitors need to be included in this build. im havig troubles with the memory some say no its not possible for 5333 mhz memory other say it is.
please help me .

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/TnBD4s

Kind Regards 

Wakko89

First, a PCPartPicker link would be kinda helpful with all the parts you're currently thinking of. 

Second, as for whether its possible to run 5333MHz, the answer is yes and no. Yes, the motherboard has been able to POST with those speeds (probably in Gear 2), but the odds of your CPU being able to run those speeds, especially out of the box XMP speeds are basically nonexistent. That's a memory overclock, and a very extreme one at that. It will require manual memory tuning in order to work correctly, so unless you want to be overclocking the crap out of your memory, you're not gonna get 5333MHz running. Even if you are willing to try to get 5333MHz running, most of the XMP sticks of that speed are Hynix DJR, which is very good and overclocks pretty well, but Samsung B-Die just overclocks better. You'll end up with better performance with an overclocked kit of B-Die than a kit of 5333MHz memory, if you're going to put the time into tuning it anyway.

If you want to spend a ton on memory, try to get 3600MHz CL14. Most memory controllers can run that pretty easily, so XMP will probably just work, and if you're willing to overclock, it's Samsung B-Die so you can overclock the crap out of it. 

34 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First, a PCPartPicker link would be kinda helpful with all the parts you're currently thinking of. 

Second, as for whether its possible to run 5333MHz, the answer is yes and no. Yes, the motherboard has been able to POST with those speeds (probably in Gear 2), but the odds of your CPU being able to run those speeds, especially out of the box XMP speeds are basically nonexistent. That's a memory overclock, and a very extreme one at that. It will require manual memory tuning in order to work correctly, so unless you want to be overclocking the crap out of your memory, you're not gonna get 5333MHz running. Even if you are willing to try to get 5333MHz running, most of the XMP sticks of that speed are Hynix DJR, which is very good and overclocks pretty well, but Samsung B-Die just overclocks better. You'll end up with better performance with an overclocked kit of B-Die than a kit of 5333MHz memory, if you're going to put the time into tuning it anyway.

If you want to spend a ton on memory, try to get 3600MHz CL14. Most memory controllers can run that pretty easily, so XMP will probably just work, and if you're willing to overclock, it's Samsung B-Die so you can overclock the crap out of it. 

this is what i was planning after your explanation of memory https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/TnBD4s

8 minutes ago, wakko89 said:

this is what i was planning after your explanation of memory https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/TnBD4s

Sorry but thats a literal dumpster fire

H150i is overpriced, there are cheaper aios but if you want a white theme i guess you can stick with this one or find a cheaper aio like the id cooling zoomflow or something like that

Board is overkill and overpriced for what you get, go for a prime z690 instead

Rams are garbage cause you can not expect high clocks on dual rank which is made even worse by b die being really stressful on the imc, go for crucial ballistix instead as they are single rank so you can expect ~4800 at most but theyll do ~4500 cl18 on average depending on how you tune them. If you dont wanna tune then lazy oc by changing freq to 4000mhz and raise volt somewhere between 1.4-1.5v that is stable

Ssd is overpriced, if you want samsung go for a 980 pro, theyre pricing on lower end ssds is so bad that even the uneccesary top end 980 pro looks better than them value wise

Gpu is pathetic, at this pricepoint 3080 minimum, prefferably 3080ti or 3090

Uhhh thats a custom watercooling case, and do you really need it to be a full tower case??? Maybe go for the regular o11d or the o11d evo

1000w is bad value, just go straight to 1200w unless you can find a cheaper 1000w psu

1 minute ago, wakko89 said:

OK, so there's a couple things I'd change.

First, the AIO is very expensive for what you get, and Corsair has had issues with the mounting mechanism on LGA 1700. Unless you're really invested in the Corsair lighting ecosystem, you should really go with something else for this build. The Arctic Freezer II 360 would be a good choice for this build. If you care about RGB, they make an RGB version of it. The non-RGB version costs half as much and should perform equally to better. 

Second, I'd probably go with something other than Royal, Ripjaws V of the same speed is much cheaper and Trident Z Neo is also much cheaper. Then again, I also really don't like the look of Trident Z Royal, and if you do and want to spend the extra money, go for it. 

Third, the O11 Dynamic series of cases don't come with fans. You should probably get some fans to go with it, especially with the furnace that is the 12900k. Artic P12s perform great for a very reasonable price (plus also have an RGB version if you care about that). That said, for your budget, you can probably afford Noctua fans, specifically the A12x25. Again, they're super overkill, but will be basically the best performing fans you can get. Otherwise just get the Arctic P12 or P12 RGB. The case you picked comes with 10 fan slots, 3 of which will be filled up by the fans that come with the radiator, so might as well get the remaining 7. At least get 3, but more fans is more better. I'm pretty sure the math works out that it's cheaper to buy 2 5 packs than it is to buy a 5 pack and 2 extra fans, so just get 10 and point the other 3 at you. 

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/K3J7Y9

Do note that this parts list does spend too much in a lot of places and you can get better performance for less money if you optimize it a bit. That said, if you want bling (which it seems like you do) and don't super care about bang for the buck, there's that system. If you do, here's the one I would actually build.

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/4QQzKp

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, so there's a couple things I'd change.

First, the AIO is very expensive for what you get, and Corsair has had issues with the mounting mechanism on LGA 1700. Unless you're really invested in the Corsair lighting ecosystem, you should really go with something else for this build. The Arctic Freezer II 360 would be a good choice for this build. If you care about RGB, they make an RGB version of it. The non-RGB version costs half as much and should perform equally to better. 

Second, I'd probably go with something other than Royal, Ripjaws V of the same speed is much cheaper and Trident Z Neo is also much cheaper. Then again, I also really don't like the look of Trident Z Royal, and if you do and want to spend the extra money, go for it. 

Third, the O11 Dynamic series of cases don't come with fans. You should probably get some fans to go with it, especially with the furnace that is the 12900k. Artic P12s perform great for a very reasonable price (plus also have an RGB version if you care about that). That said, for your budget, you can probably afford Noctua fans, specifically the A12x25. Again, they're super overkill, but will be basically the best performing fans you can get. Otherwise just get the Arctic P12 or P12 RGB. The case you picked comes with 10 fan slots, 3 of which will be filled up by the fans that come with the radiator, so might as well get the remaining 7. At least get 3, but more fans is more better. I'm pretty sure the math works out that it's cheaper to buy 2 5 packs than it is to buy a 5 pack and 2 extra fans, so just get 10 and point the other 3 at you. 

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/K3J7Y9

Do note that this parts list does spend too much in a lot of places and you can get better performance for less money if you optimize it a bit. That said, if you want bling (which it seems like you do) and don't super care about bang for the buck, there's that system. If you do, here's the one I would actually build.

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/4QQzKp

i recieved the motherboard for my birthday from my sister in law 😉 so no cost there 

Just now, wakko89 said:

i recieved the motherboard for my birthday from my sister in law 😉 so no cost there 

OK, then I'd still do the second build with the Strix board instead. You get a much better GPU for almost the same amount of money. That said, if you just want the system to look fancy, you can go with the first one. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, then I'd still do the second build with the Strix board instead. You get a much better GPU for almost the same amount of money. That said, if you just want the system to look fancy, you can go with the first one. 

thx for the help 

23 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

so i rebuilded everyhting with you explanation (sorry im a rgb fan) and also read the comment of @Somerandomtechyboi to implement the changes this looks any good to you now? https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/mJ48Tn

Just now, wakko89 said:

so i rebuilded everyhting with you explanation (sorry im a rgb fan) and also read the comment of @Somerandomtechyboi to implement the changes this looks any good to you now? https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/mJ48Tn

Yeah, looks fine I guess. I'd still probably go cheaper on RAM personally, 3600CL16 is like 5% slower depending on the situation and costs half as much, but if you're fine spending the extra it works. 

1 hour ago, wakko89 said:

Thats a hell of alot better

Rams are still garbage value wise, crucial ballistix 32gb kit if you are aiming for 4500+ cl18 or a cheaper 32gb samsung b die kit for 4000 cl14. B die kit wise search on the used market for revisions of certain ram that contain b die but they have more normal cl16/15 timings so they are cheaper, i know some tridentz rgb/neo along with vengeance rgb pro do have revisions with samsung b die

Uhhh im not sure if you really need that many fans but ok i guess??? Fan config wise id suggest having everything be intake except the aio fans, those should be exhaust fans so cpu wont heat up the other components

Also being a fan on rgb isnt a bad thing inherently, its only bad once you start spending wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much on rgbs, personally i dont really give a flying crap about aesthetics so maybe id spend like 1$ tops for really major aesthetic things like terrible color of a part that make it look like complete garbage. For reference im on 775 so everything is dirt cheap and i constantly try going cheaper and end up fking myself over xD