6500 XT vs used 1060 6GB

canyoudont

I can get a brand new 6500 or a used 1060 for the same price (350 USD). I've seen the benchmarks and the 6500 seems to perform a bit better even if it doesn't have as much VRAM, so that should be enough reason to get it over the 1060. Another reason to get it is that it would be brand new, it'll still have the warranty and there's less chance of it pooping out in a few months. I've heard that a typical graphics card lasts around 5 years, so even if the previous owner took good care of it, the (almost) 6 year old 1060 probably won't last very long.

My mind's pretty made up, but is there anything I'm overlooking? I already know about the PCIe gen 3 bottleneck (I'm using Intel 11th gen so that's not a problem) and the lack of "video encoding" feature (I'm not gonna use it to edit photos and videos so, again, not a problem).

You might want to try and get your hands on an RTX 3050 when it launches, should be within your budget and will be extremely likely to be faster than the 6500XT plus it has 8gb of vram.

2 minutes ago, canyoudont said:

My mind's pretty made up, but is there anything I'm overlooking?

Still that VRAM issue. 4GB is barely usable in modern titles and you will run to out of VRAM warnings, and lots of frame drop as the card tries to shuffle around processed images.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Even in today's market the 6500XT is only a good deal if you can get it for free. There are literally budget-class GPUs from 2016 that are better. I'd suggest trying to get your hands on a 1070.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 minutes ago, canyoudont said:

I can get a brand new 6500 or a used 1060 for the same price (350 USD). I've seen the benchmarks and the 6500 seems to perform a bit better even if it doesn't have as much VRAM, so that should be enough reason to get it over the 1060. Another reason to get it is that it would be brand new, it'll still have the warranty and there's less chance of it pooping out in a few months. I've heard that a typical graphics card lasts around 5 years, so even if the previous owner took good care of it, the (almost) 6 year old 1060 probably won't last very long.

My mind's pretty made up, but is there anything I'm overlooking? I already know about the PCIe gen 3 bottleneck (I'm using Intel 11th gen so that's not a problem) and the lack of "video encoding" feature (I'm not gonna use it to edit photos and videos so, again, not a problem).

I certainly agree with the rest in that you're far better off waiting another week for the RTX 3050 launch.

Will most certainly outperform the Rx 6500 with ease.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

12 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You might want to try and get your hands on an RTX 3050 when it launches, should be within your budget and will be extremely likely to be faster than the 6500XT plus it has 8gb of vram.

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

I certainly agree with the rest in that you're far better off waiting another week for the RTX 3050 launch.

Will most certainly outperform the Rx 6500 with ease.

The 3050 looks great, and if I'm confident I can get it at a decent price in my country, I definitely will. 350 for a graphics card is already expensive for me. 

17 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Still that VRAM issue. 4GB is barely usable in modern titles and you will run to out of VRAM warnings, and lots of frame drop as the card tries to shuffle around processed images.

I heard that's only a problem at higher settings. I'm pretty comfortable dropping everything to low as long as it stays as 1080p. Would that still be a problem?

16 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For $20-30 more you can get a 1070, a much better card than either the 1060 or 6500XT. 980Tis are also an option for this price range. Also the aforementioned 3050.

Either way, there are better options than the 6500XT.

18 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Even in today's market the 6500XT is only a good deal if you can get it for free. There are literally budget-class GPUs from 2016 that are better. I'd suggest trying to get your hands on a 1070.

Cheapest 1070 I could find in my country is $394 which I don't want to pay for a secondhand 5-year-old card. As I said, part of why I want the 6500 is because I can get it new.

$350 is way too much for a 6500xt. I would wait. I know it socks. But don't pay scalper prices

When I look at the prices for these GPU I would go for a 1060 6GB if you NEED something right now.

When I look at street prices for the 3050, I feel that it's the better choice, but at my location it goes for about €550 where the 6500XT goed for €350.

Both these cards are a stopgap in my opinion.

I'm glad I don't have to think about a GPU any time soon as I own a 1080 and a 5700XT.