Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

6500 XT vs used 1060 6GB

I can get a brand new 6500 or a used 1060 for the same price (350 USD). I've seen the benchmarks and the 6500 seems to perform a bit better even if it doesn't have as much VRAM, so that should be enough reason to get it over the 1060. Another reason to get it is that it would be brand new, it'll still have the warranty and there's less chance of it pooping out in a few months. I've heard that a typical graphics card lasts around 5 years, so even if the previous owner took good care of it, the (almost) 6 year old 1060 probably won't last very long.

 

My mind's pretty made up, but is there anything I'm overlooking? I already know about the PCIe gen 3 bottleneck (I'm using Intel 11th gen so that's not a problem) and the lack of "video encoding" feature (I'm not gonna use it to edit photos and videos so, again, not a problem).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to try and get your hands on an RTX 3050 when it launches, should be within your budget and will be extremely likely to be faster than the 6500XT plus it has 8gb of vram.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, canyoudont said:

My mind's pretty made up, but is there anything I'm overlooking?

Still that VRAM issue. 4GB is barely usable in modern titles and you will run to out of VRAM warnings, and lots of frame drop as the card tries to shuffle around processed images.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! | Be specific! Our answer effort is in proportion of your effort to write it! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

 

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

 

🏳️⚧️ Rights

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

For $20-30 more you can get a 1070, a much better card than either the 1060 or 6500XT. 980Tis are also an option for this price range. Also the aforementioned 3050.

 

Either way, there are better options than the 6500XT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even in today's market the 6500XT is only a good deal if you can get it for free. There are literally budget-class GPUs from 2016 that are better. I'd suggest trying to get your hands on a 1070.

About monitor marketing BS

 

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 11 preview - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

 

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, canyoudont said:

I can get a brand new 6500 or a used 1060 for the same price (350 USD). I've seen the benchmarks and the 6500 seems to perform a bit better even if it doesn't have as much VRAM, so that should be enough reason to get it over the 1060. Another reason to get it is that it would be brand new, it'll still have the warranty and there's less chance of it pooping out in a few months. I've heard that a typical graphics card lasts around 5 years, so even if the previous owner took good care of it, the (almost) 6 year old 1060 probably won't last very long.

 

My mind's pretty made up, but is there anything I'm overlooking? I already know about the PCIe gen 3 bottleneck (I'm using Intel 11th gen so that's not a problem) and the lack of "video encoding" feature (I'm not gonna use it to edit photos and videos so, again, not a problem).

 

I certainly agree with the rest in that you're far better off waiting another week for the RTX 3050 launch.

 

Will most certainly outperform the Rx 6500 with ease.

PSU Tier List      AMD Motherboard Tier List      SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You might want to try and get your hands on an RTX 3050 when it launches, should be within your budget and will be extremely likely to be faster than the 6500XT plus it has 8gb of vram.

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

I certainly agree with the rest in that you're far better off waiting another week for the RTX 3050 launch.

 

Will most certainly outperform the Rx 6500 with ease.

The 3050 looks great, and if I'm confident I can get it at a decent price in my country, I definitely will. 350 for a graphics card is already expensive for me. 

 

17 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Still that VRAM issue. 4GB is barely usable in modern titles and you will run to out of VRAM warnings, and lots of frame drop as the card tries to shuffle around processed images.

I heard that's only a problem at higher settings. I'm pretty comfortable dropping everything to low as long as it stays as 1080p. Would that still be a problem?

 

16 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For $20-30 more you can get a 1070, a much better card than either the 1060 or 6500XT. 980Tis are also an option for this price range. Also the aforementioned 3050.

 

Either way, there are better options than the 6500XT.

18 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Even in today's market the 6500XT is only a good deal if you can get it for free. There are literally budget-class GPUs from 2016 that are better. I'd suggest trying to get your hands on a 1070.

Cheapest 1070 I could find in my country is $394 which I don't want to pay for a secondhand 5-year-old card. As I said, part of why I want the 6500 is because I can get it new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

$350 is way too much for a 6500xt. I would wait. I know it socks. But don't pay scalper prices

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at the prices for these GPU I would go for a 1060 6GB if you NEED something right now.

 

When I look at street prices for the 3050, I feel that it's the better choice, but at my location it goes for about €550 where the 6500XT goed for €350.

 

Both these cards are a stopgap in my opinion.

I'm glad I don't have to think about a GPU any time soon as I own a 1080 and a 5700XT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×