My ryzen 5 3500 is running hot as F

RRK
Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,

It's a little high for idle, maybe like ~15°C, but if you are getting 75C under full load that's pretty darn good.

i got a ryzen 5 3500 with amd stock cooler with a deep cool mattrex 40 3fs case and my cpu is running at idle 60 celsius and at load with 75 celsius is that too hot ?

It's a little high for idle, maybe like ~15°C, but if you are getting 75C under full load that's pretty darn good.

Just now, BiotechBen said:

like i am from india soo the normal or abient temp is about 27 to 28 C 

Just now, BiotechBen said:

soo like am i good like do i have to buy a cooler or something ?

11 minutes ago, RRK said:

i got a ryzen 5 3500 with amd stock cooler with a deep cool mattrex 40 3fs case and my cpu is running at idle 60 celsius and at load with 75 celsius is that too hot ?

No…. We’ll kinda.  The idle temp is about 20°c hotter than average.  The load is cooler though.  A weird combo.  May mean something.  I don’t know what though.  Possibly merely that your concept of load is lower than many.  Makes me wonder about the paste job.  A 3500 iirc is basically a 3600 with no multithread. 6/6. Six cores no multithread.  Should run cooler than a 3600.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, RRK said:

like i am from india soo the normal or abient temp is about 27 to 28 C 

So 30 some plus ambient at idle. Still high.  How did you determine load?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

No…. We’ll kinda.  The idle temp is about 20°c hotter than average.  The load is cooler though.  A weird combo.  May mean something.  I don’t know what though.  Possibly merely that your concept of load is lower than many.  Makes me wonder about the paste job.  A 3500 iirc is 6/6. Six cores no multithread.  Should run cooler than a 3600.  

like it came pre appiled with thermal paste. didnt even overclock it 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

So 30 some plus ambient at idle. Still high.  How did you determine load?

my load is like playing pubg and valorant that it

Just now, RRK said:

like it came pre appiled with thermal paste. didnt even overclock it 

So thermal paste amount is decent, one would assume. There should be directions on how to mount the cooler.  The screws should be self torquing, but they still have to be used the right way.  It may have a pressure problem. Could also just be a lead chip. 

2 minutes ago, RRK said:

my load is like playing pubg and valorant that it

That may be light.  I don’t know.  When I tested for load I used prime95, but I understand there are better things out now. 

The CPU is fine up to 80-85c, the performance doesn't go lower until you reach those temperatures, and the processor doesn't go bad or degrade with higher temperatures.

Staying at 60c at idle is fine. Normally, people expect lower temperatures, like 40-45c, but could be most people have bigger heatsinks. 

Also, some motherboards have fan curves in BIOS intentionally configured to lower the fan speeds to keep the system silent, as long as the temperatures are reasonable, and the BIOS may see 60c as reasonable.  The cooler could keep the idle temperature lower by running the fan at higher rpm to push more air through the heatsink, but that would make the cooler a bit more noisy.

If you're stressed about, go in BIOS and see if there's a bios fan curve, and you could adjust the curve to always keep the fan at a higher speed. Maybe there's different fan curves, different profiles (ex .. silent, normal , turbo) in that case change from silent to normal or a more "aggressive" profile and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

That may be light.  I don’t know.  When I tested for load I used prime95, but I understand there are better things out now. 

I personally do video encoding, why not do power virus type load and have it produce something at the end. 1080p very slow with R value around 16 in handbrake

56 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The CPU is fine up to 80-85c, the performance doesn't go lower until you reach those temperatures, and the processor doesn't go bad or degrade with higher temperatures.

Staying at 60c at idle is fine. Normally, people expect lower temperatures, like 40-45c, but could be most people have bigger heatsinks. 

Also, some motherboards have fan curves in BIOS intentionally configured to lower the fan speeds to keep the system silent, as long as the temperatures are reasonable, and the BIOS may see 60c as reasonable.  The cooler could keep the idle temperature lower by running the fan at higher rpm to push more air through the heatsink, but that would make the cooler a bit more noisy.

If you're stressed about, go in BIOS and see if there's a bios fan curve, and you could adjust the curve to always keep the fan at a higher speed. Maybe there's different fan curves, different profiles (ex .. silent, normal , turbo) in that case change from silent to normal or a more "aggressive" profile and see what happens.

Well there’s a Strong argument that it doesn’t go bad fast enough to matter considering the advance of tech anyway.  The temperatures aren’t unsusable.  The high was pretty weird compared to the idle though.  The thing will run. 

59 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I personally do video encoding, why not do power virus type load and have it produce something at the end. 1080p very slow with R value around 16 in handbrake

Prime95 was origionally supposed to do just that.  I don’t know if it still does though.  It was sort of an early version of folding@home.  Did math for someone.

that temperature is good at load but 60 degrees Celsius that's alright for my guy but you should be getting at least over 30 at idle maybe take the cooler off and re pasting the CPU and mount the cooler back again and see what happens because i get 27 to 30 idle temps and 60 max full load on my intel CPU using a cooler master cooler.