Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Four Gigs to fill your needs - AMD launches mid-low end Workstation GPU

williamcll

1117615-radeon-pro-w6400-1920x1080_1.png

Just as the 6500XT is now on sale, AMD has released a similar card but aimed at the workstation market instead, the PRO W6400. 

Additionally, there were also mentions of a W6300 and W6500 as well as a mobile M variant that are OEM exclusive.

Quotes

The Radeon PRO W6400 is a Navi 24 graphics card with a TDP of up to 50W. It is actually AMD’s first-ever 6nm workstation card, following the launch of the Radeon RX 6500XT and its mobile variants. The card is equipped with 768 Stream Processors, which means it’s cut-down silicon similar to Radeon RX 6400 (only being sold to OEMs). The W6400 features 4GB GDDR6 memory across a 64-bit memory bus. Although this model has a full-sized PCIe 4.0 slot, only four lanes are wired to the GPU, the same problem is present on the gaming RX 6500XT model. This might be a bottleneck on PCIe 3.0 systems. AMD already launched its higher-end Apple Mac exclusive PRO W6000X series, while the ‘original’ lineup only features three SKUs: W6800 with Navi 21, W6600 with Navi 23, and now W6400 with Navi 24. The only missing part in AMD’s workstation lineup is the Navi 22. We are not aware of the W6400 encoding/decoding capabilities yet, the same goes for the price. The first reviews of the Radeon PRO W6400 should go live later today.

image.thumb.png.e3f595f363e3eb3127a891fca4bc48a1.png

My thoughts

The clocks are pretty good for a workstation card but the low amount of VRAM is a bit concerning considering a lot of work software are RAM hungry. Also interesting that they are using a smaller node. Could this hint that AMD is already producing their next generation GPUs already?

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-launches-radeon-pro-w6400-a-50w-workstation-card-with-6nm-navi-24-gpu

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Wait...... 4 GIGS OF GDDR6!?

Well, it might be fine as the lowest end but uhhh yea, especially after AMD's article on 4gigs of vram  not being enouhg that has suspiciously gone missing

And what are they charging for this? If the W6600 is ~650 for MSRP. I'm assuming ~450? (THis is solely based on the name so take it as such (ie. withheaps o' salt))

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

So this will be a ~$ 500 gpu with 4gb, in 2022? wtf amd indeed

7 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

And what are they charging for this? If the W6600 is ~650 for MSRP. I'm assuming ~450?

i don't understand why they make these so expensive anyways,  it doesn't look they do much different, or better than the gaming cards, especially the lower "pro" cards... like, who is this even for, 3.5tflops, 4gb, very high price (presumably)?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

oh yea, I saw this last night and forgot about it a few minutes later.

What exactly is even the point of a low end workstation card?

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Probably OEMs like Thinkstation PCs.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

A lot of users buy workstation cards for the drivers, rather than the hardware. Alongside some driver tweaks that can boost the performance of low-end workstation cards far beyond the fastest consumer cards in certain workflows (see this video from LTT), professional software is often only properly validated to work on workstation cards.

This doesn't mean it won't work, but the experience may be sub-par. Even software like Autodesk Maya - that doesn't even necessarily need a powerful GPU - may end up being much more stable on a workstation card than a consumer one. (Which given how unstable Maya is on my 1060...)

The biggest problem with this card is a more glaring omission: CUDA. NVIDIA is king when it comes to the workstation GPU world - "workstation GPU" is basically synonymous with "Quadro" - in large part due to CUDA. AMD has their own version in ROCm but it's nowhere near as popular for a variety of reasons (and also still isn't fully supported on RDNA/RDNA2 based cards...) Hopefully they can bring some competition here but for now ROCm isn't a valid option for too many people and, as such, neither is this card.

My PCs:

Timothy: 

i7 4790k

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair Carbide 300R

6 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

as such, neither is this card.

True,

Until you include Hackintoshers and Mac Pro users.

But even then they're a tiny portion of a large market, so yes, it isn't.

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

4 hours ago, tim0901 said:

A lot of users buy workstation cards for the drivers, rather than the hardware. Alongside some driver tweaks that can boost the performance of low-end workstation cards far beyond the fastest consumer cards in certain workflows (see this video from LTT), professional software is often only properly validated to work on workstation cards.

This doesn't mean it won't work, but the experience may be sub-par. Even software like Autodesk Maya - that doesn't even necessarily need a powerful GPU - may end up being much more stable on a workstation card than a consumer one. (Which given how unstable Maya is on my 1060...)

The biggest problem with this card is a more glaring omission: CUDA. NVIDIA is king when it comes to the workstation GPU world - "workstation GPU" is basically synonymous with "Quadro" - in large part due to CUDA. AMD has their own version in ROCm but it's nowhere near as popular for a variety of reasons (and also still isn't fully supported on RDNA/RDNA2 based cards...) Hopefully they can bring some competition here but for now ROCm isn't a valid option for too many people and, as such, neither is this card.

100% agree. Workstation gpus crash significantly less than consumer ones in alot of the professional software suites. That is a huge deal as any time your program crashes you could potentially lose alot of work and unfortunately sometimes corrupt the project file. There is a reason why people pay more for workstation gpus. It's mostly for the much better driver support and validation. They won't release a buggy driver like you see sometimes with game ready drivers and the such for consumer cards. 

13 hours ago, poochyena said:

Workstation is pretty wide term. On one hand you have the render farms and 3D workstations that need beefier cards than any gaming on the market, on the other hand you have cards with a ton of VRAM for some workloads and then you have the maybe the most common one that has performance hardly enough to be called GPU but it has ports. The "earlier generation" of the W6400 was one of later ones, you didn't buy Radeon PRO WX 3200 for it's performance that is worse than a potato with a nickel wire, you bought it for the 4 miniDP 1.4 ports capable to give you up to 4 4K monitors or 1 8K monitor and that is "up to", good if it could run 1 monitor at 4K but the point of the card isn't that, it's just that you can slap up to 4 (maybe more if the daisy chaining is available) monitors to a single PC.

But when it comes to W6400, IDK. 2 DisplayPorts isn't that much it could be used just for monitors, AMD even markets it as "we cut the costs and it now has only just what is needed". It doesn't have performance to go much farther than Paint and AMD doesn't even have many workloads optimized only for workstation cards (unlike the competition AMD doesn't really restrict their products like any Ryzen CPU is overclockable unlike with Intel you need to get K or other unlocked variant and AFAIK AMD doesn't make that hard cut between workstation Radeon and gaming Radeon as Nvidia does with GeForce, Quadro and Tesla cards) so you would need "unlocker" card.

Even if you want to use it to get a Extra display its still is trash.

You would need a X16 to 4 X4 adapter to even make use of the Full X16 slot.

The only possible place this might be used is in a Home Server setup, that Rarely needs a GPU/display, as everything is done Remotely.

and only for annoying issues physical access is needed, the GPU would be needed

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

16 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

And what are they charging for this? If the W6600 is ~650 for MSRP. I'm assuming ~450? (THis is solely based on the name so take it as such (ie. withheaps o' salt))

16 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

So this will be a ~$ 500 gpu with 4gb, in 2022? wtf amd indeed

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-pro-w6400-workstation-gpu-announcement

The Radeon Pro W6400 is available now, with a suggested price of $229.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU 12900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aero G, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Radeon 6800 XT FE, Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-D15, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2035, Scarlett Solo, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPU Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, MSI 1070 Gaming X 8gb, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, 5x Seagate IronWolf 8tb NAS(ZFS1), PSU Corsair RM1000x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans, OS Unraid

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-pro-w6400-workstation-gpu-announcement

yeah, i saw that in the other thread... blue pro gpu for 230...  makes sense!  actually i dont know for who though, mostly gamers i would guess : p 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

26 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, i saw that in the other thread... blue pro gpu for 230...  makes sense!  actually i dont know for who though, mostly gamers i would guess : p 

Interestingly, it's "available now", but I can't find a single store or ebay listing for it, so it might not even be for them.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU 12900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aero G, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Radeon 6800 XT FE, Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-D15, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2035, Scarlett Solo, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPU Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, MSI 1070 Gaming X 8gb, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, 5x Seagate IronWolf 8tb NAS(ZFS1), PSU Corsair RM1000x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans, OS Unraid

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Ironically, the 5 years old WX 5100 easily beats this card, in every way possible:

- more FP32 compute power (3.89 TFLOPs vs 3.5 TFLOPs)

- more vRAM (8 GB vs 4 GB)

- more memory bandwidth (160 GB/s vs 128 GB/s)

- more PCIe bandwidth (PCIe 3.0 x16 vs PCIe 4.0 x4)

- more display output (4x DP 1.4 vs 2x DP 1.4)

...with only slightly higher TGP (75 W vs 50 W), but still does not require external power connectors.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

7 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Huh.

That's great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 9:13 AM, IkeaGnome said:

I just found out about it, and they were brave enough to put on the VR Ready thing on it.

Considering the price being pretty cheap, if the GPU is actually VR Ready, like able to play VRC unoptimized avatars and worlds ready at pretty a good FP', then it'd be a pretty good little deal.

Tbh, you wouldn't get this to play triple A games, and this being a workstation GPU, designed to be durable, hopefully it'll last you through the tough GPU price hike period and who knows, will maybe be your backup GPU later down the line 🙂

I do wish they went with the WX designs for the blue body, not half cut like Nvidia's XD