Help with cooling vrm/mosfet

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

VRMs have a max temp of 110c. So running 80c for example, would be ok. 

In short, most heat sinked VRMs don't require more than the case flow and cpu cooler for cooling. 

And fan would work. 

10 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Can we see a screenshot of your HWinfo? Are you looking in CPU, or the Motherboard section?

motherboard,image.png.87a41ae8ec4452e1ab3d59344caddec1.pngwhen the temperature 4 reaches 56c my cpu throttles i think its the vrm because i placed a fan infront of it and it just stays at 48c and my cpu didnt throttle

13 minutes ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

when the temperature 4 reaches 56c my cpu throttles i think its the vrm because i placed a fan infront of it and it just stays at 48c and my cpu didnt throttle

I couldn't find anything definitive, but I'm seeing other people that are finding Temperature 4 being VRM. 

Your CPU shouldn't be throttling at 56C though regardless. Either you have a faulty sensor, HwInfo isn't reading the temperature correctly, or you're throttling for some other reason.

Is your BIOS up to date?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

The thing with HWinfo64 and the temp sensors labeled 3 4 or 5 ect., is that they vary from board to board. The reason is because someboards have the extra sensors and some dont. But always report a reading. Well the program algorithm must display something, so it does. most of the time a seemingly bogus reading, because it is.

So if you can physically change the temp by adding/removing a fan, that's good to know that you actually have a sensor for a reading. The clencher is nobody, pretty much not even the software creator can say for certain the reported temp is actually accurate though seemingly functional. Just want to give a heads up there. 

7 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I couldn't find anything definitive, but I'm seeing other people that are finding Temperature 4 being VRM. 

Your CPU shouldn't be throttling at 56C though regardless. Either you have a faulty sensor, HwInfo isn't reading the temperature correctly, or you're throttling for some other reason.

Is your BIOS up to date?

the only thing i can find is beta bios which i do not want to even try mainly because its beta and i heard that i shouldnt update it to the beta bios, i just updated my brothers pc bios so i know what i need and what to do but i wouldnt even try to do it with the beta bios image.thumb.png.5d198157430886ef90a04dc7a0c1f2b7.png

Update: I tried stressing it again with p95 and when my temperature 4 reaches 56c it throttles and when i put a fan on it its like at 50c and my cpu is not throttling im planning on buying this glue https://shopee.ph/Stars-922-5g-GPU-CPU-Thermal-Silicone-Grease-Compound-Glue-Cool-Cooling-Paste-Heat-DIY-Thermal-Grease-i.307295456.4351768056 and this heatsink https://shopee.ph/12pcs-Small-Silver-Aluminum-Radiator-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-Cooling-Kit-14*14*6mm-i.104461657.1740701763 to place on the vrms but is that glue good? i just searched thermal glue as the guy said here 

and that stars 922 glue showed up

https://shopee.ph/30pcs-Aluminium-HeatSink-w-Thermal-paste-for-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi-2-A2TD-i.262919729.6536460438 these are the heatsinks and im planning to do this 

so will i be able to use those heatsinks without any problems? there are 3 sizes of those and 10 of it so 30 pieces and i think it already has somekind of tape below it so i just need to peel it right?

You could use those heatsinks, but they wouldn't give a significant improvement, because the fins are too small and too thick. 

Better heat transfer is done with thinner and a bit taller fins and ideally a bit denser (more rows of fins) ... even better if the fins are serrated (have ribs or bumps  or edges or crap on the sides of the fins.... basically as much surface area as possible improves the heat transfer.

So try to find as big as possible both as bottom area (measure how big squares you can install because you could be blocked by inductors or capacitors), it's ok if a part of the heatsink is outside the chip area and it's ok if the heatsink covers multiple chips and also a bit taller.... I'd say fins about 1cm tall should be fine, and more than around 1.5-2cm would be pointless, above that height you wouldn't get better dissipation, it doesn't work like that.

-= Merged =-

DO not repost topics.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER