HDD Power on time 3068 days...

helpmeplspls

Hello guys Im a bit worried because the 2TB HITACHI hdd (from 2010) I just bough from CEX it says 3068 days power on time, thats like 8 years and a half. and also it says more than 100 days Estimated remaining lifetime while all of my other drives say more than 1000 days. Im planning to use this hdd as a secundary drive to store games. Should I be worried, whats the best way to test the hdd is funcioning correctly and is the remaining lifetime shown on HDsentinel accurate ?wejfdmuwwsa81.png.8a8994e4014ae003308af0268b8e6942.png

if you are truly worried about losing data, just grab a new seagate 2tb, they are like $40. 

8 years is a long ass time, so it is probably going to be slower than it should be... personally I'm amazed its been running that long.

That's an old, well used hard drive. 73,000+ power on hours is a lot, and even if it's in good health you don't know how much it's been used over time. Given the fact that it has such a high amount of power on hours I'd say it's seen a lot of use. This is one reason I don't see why buying used storage is worth it in a lot of cases. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

OP, you could check CrystalDiskInfo, but it may report the same. It's odd that you'd purchase a drive that old when new 2-4TB HDD's are so cheap. You can also run a quick benchmark using CrystalDiskMark and see what your reported speeds are. Speeds can vary from about 130MB/s to around 230MB/s depending on both RPM and overall health. If it's any slower I wouldn't trust it. Personally I would just replace it.    

29 minutes ago, Founders said:

OP, you could check CrystalDiskInfo, but it may report the same. It's odd that you'd purchase a drive that old when new 2-4TB HDD's are so cheap. You can also run a quick benchmark using CrystalDiskMark and see what your reported speeds are. Speeds can vary from about 130MB/s to around 230MB/s depending on both RPM and overall health. If it's any slower I wouldn't trust it. Personally I would just replace it.    

Well I bought HDDs from CEX before and I always had a good experience with them, but this is the first time I get a drive with over 500 days power on time and they dont specify any of that on their website not even the brand : /

These are my new results

asf.PNG

Capture.PNG

32 minutes ago, Founders said:

It's odd that you'd purchase a drive that old when new 2-4TB HDD's are so cheap.

Its a pawn shop, they probably traded other things in to get it.  Its the ONLY reason I used to use them and never for HDDs, though I did buy an SSD from them once and it had never been used, that was really lucky.

3 minutes ago, helpmeplspls said:

Well I bought HDDs from CEX before and I always had a good experience with them, but this is the first time I get a drive with over 500 days power on time and they dont specify any of that on their website not even the brand : /

Rule of thumb with CEX, if they don't list the brand its stuff they're desperately trying to get rid of.  I've never bought HDDs from them as I've seen how little care the staff take, you don't even know if the previous owner dropped the drive.  I have bought RAM though which is also nerve racking as they do not use anti-static bags, was a gamble I was prepared to take and paid off, they're still going strong.

Last I checked they offered a 2 year warranty on all their stuff, so not the end of the world if it dies.  But a brand new Seagate will be twice as fast.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its a pawn shop, they probably traded other things in to get it.  Its the ONLY reason I used to use them and never for HDDs, though I did buy an SSD from them once and it had never been used, that was really lucky.

Rule of thumb with CEX, if they don't list the brand its stuff they're desperately trying to get rid of.  I've never bought HDDs from them as I've seen how little care the staff take, you don't even know if the previous owner dropped the drive.  I have bought RAM though which is also nerve racking as they do not use anti-static bags, was a gamble I was prepared to take and paid off, they're still going strong.

Last I checked they offered a 2 year warranty on all their stuff, so not the end of the world if it dies.  But a brand new Seagate will be twice as fast.

This is the one: 

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=shddsfg22aa&categoryName=hard-drives-sata&superCatName=computing&title=2-tb-sata-hard-drive&referredFrom=category

and yeah they offer 2 year warranty, thanks god

Only 40 power cycles. Likely a server drive. For peace of mimd, I'd replace it. Use it for a trivial task like a scratch disk. 

3 hours ago, helpmeplspls said:

Honestly not sure what that is about seeing as they have tons listed with specific make and model, presumably like I said its ones they just want rid of.

I've learnt to not skimp with HDDs, lost too many old photos when my old backups were CDRs and they failed too.  Worse with the CDRs as I thought I had multiple copies and couldn't find them.

It may be fine for a game drive, honestly mine is one of the oldest decent sized drives I own too though I know what its been through.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Found a Reddit post that sounds useful:

There are five SMART attributes to watch for drive health. 5, 187, 188, 197, 198. These indicate likely hardware issues and imminent failure and are not normalized by vendors so the raw values read actual numbers of events.

Don't ever trust a "pass/fail" hard drive testing tool. They all make their own arbitrary criteria. Sometimes a healthy drive will fail one program and pass another. Reading the five important raw SMART values are much more useful.

For software that displays them differently, these seem to translate to:

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct

187 Reported_Uncorrect
188 Command_Timeout

197 Current_Pending_Sector
198 Offline_Uncorrectable

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Found a Reddit post that sounds useful:

For software that displays them differently, these seem to translate to:

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct

187 Reported_Uncorrect
188 Command_Timeout

197 Current_Pending_Sector
198 Offline_Uncorrectable

So if the drive is healthy the Raw values should be 0s ?

4 minutes ago, helpmeplspls said:

So if the drive is healthy the Raw values should be 0s ?

That's my understanding yes.