Old build: Fix it or flip it?

btraq_nasty

Budget (including currency): ~$1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Moderate gaming, non-competitive, not concerned about the highest possible frame-rates or 4k resolution.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have a PC i built in maybe 2014. My expectation is that none of the components are worth salvaging (other than fairly new SATA SSD's). But i want to make sure that is the case.

Current setup:
motherboard: ASrock B75
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 (4) @ 3.500GHz 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 
Memory: 2293MiB / 19957MiB DDR3 @ 1333 MT/s

This was always sort of Frankenstein of hand-me-downs and available parts in an oversized server case. My gut reaction is to start fresh, i would like to build my own again but prebuilds seem like a better deal these days. On the other hand i'm not desperate for a new machine so I could wait for deals on parts if that is even a possibility anymore.

A rig with a working GPU is still worth flipping.

Some system actually ship with a Gt 730. You can get 400S for this in this market. That will still play a lot of titles.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

On 1/19/2022 at 8:46 PM, btraq_nasty said:

Budget (including currency): ~$1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Moderate gaming, non-competitive, not concerned about the highest possible frame-rates or 4k resolution.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have a PC i built in maybe 2014. My expectation is that none of the components are worth salvaging (other than fairly new SATA SSD's). But i want to make sure that is the case.

Current setup:
motherboard: ASrock B75
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 (4) @ 3.500GHz 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 
Memory: 2293MiB / 19957MiB DDR3 @ 1333 MT/s

This was always sort of Frankenstein of hand-me-downs and available parts in an oversized server case. My gut reaction is to start fresh, i would like to build my own again but prebuilds seem like a better deal these days. On the other hand i'm not desperate for a new machine so I could wait for deals on parts if that is even a possibility anymore.

you could probably flip that old pc.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9cQZxs

It says the price is over 1000$ but thats cause the gpu is 2x over msrp and yes i know it is very hard to get a gpu for msrp but it is possible. 12th gen i5 should easliy handle that 3060