Occasional screen glitching and blanking since GPU upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Founders,

You're using a Display Port cable, correct? Do you have another one available you can try? Do you have any available driver updates running the Intel Update Utility? 11/29/21 is the release date of the most recent rev. of your BIOS. Are you up to date? 

Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me here.

Very recently I managed to get my hands on an RTX 3070 (FE).

After swapping it against my old GTX 970 and letting GeForce Experience handle the driver update semi-automatically, I started to notice some problems.

My screen sometimes randomly blanks for a brief second or has a little glitch / horizontal jitter.

I never experienced this with my 970 and it started to appear right after installing my new GPU. Also it only appears on one of my two monitors.

The monitor is an iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 (1440p, 21:9, 144Hz) connected via Display Port.

My other monitor (some generic office monitor) is connected via HDMI.

To be clear, the problem never occured during gaming, yet. So far I only noticed it while doing normal desktop stuff (Discord, Webbrowsing, Zoom, etc.). So I do not think, it has something to do with power supply problems. Anyway, I am using a 630W be.quiet PSU.

I hope you have any idea, where this comes from. It is kind of scary to be honest.

Cheers.

20 hours ago, m_te said:

Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me here.

Very recently I managed to get my hands on an RTX 3070 (FE).

After swapping it against my old GTX 970 and letting GeForce Experience handle the driver update semi-automatically, I started to notice some problems.

My screen sometimes randomly blanks for a brief second or has a little glitch / horizontal jitter.

I never experienced this with my 970 and it started to appear right after installing my new GPU. Also it only appears on one of my two monitors.

The monitor is an iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 (1440p, 21:9, 144Hz) connected via Display Port.

My other monitor (some generic office monitor) is connected via HDMI.

To be clear, the problem never occured during gaming, yet. So far I only noticed it while doing normal desktop stuff (Discord, Webbrowsing, Zoom, etc.). So I do not think, it has something to do with power supply problems. Anyway, I am using a 630W be.quiet PSU.

I hope you have any idea, where this comes from. It is kind of scary to be honest.

Cheers.

Could be one of those two:
Depending in the rest of your build, you may not have a good enough PSU. Especially if it's an older unit.
An other explanation is the GPU nearing end of life...  Hope this isn't it.

can you list the rest of your hardware (including the case)

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

16 minutes ago, m_te said:

letting GeForce Experience handle the driver update semi-automatically

This is your first issue. Download DDU, run it, then do a clean install of your drivers. 

18 minutes ago, m_te said:

be.quiet PSU

Your GPU should be peaking at around 200 watts assuming you haven't overclocked it at all. It would help to know your systems other specs but you should be OK, but it's not ideal depending on its age. If you're running an older system you could be running into limitations due to your CPU bottlenecking your GPU's performance.  

2 hours ago, Founders said:

This is your first issue. Download DDU, run it, then do a clean install of your drivers.

Thank you. I just did. Sadly it didn't help.

2 hours ago, Quickstrike said:

can you list the rest of your hardware (including the case)?

Sure. Here is a simple Screenshot of HWinfo. The case is nothing fancy: The Aerocool X1 with 3 Noctua NF-S12B redux fans: 2 in, 1 out.

image.thumb.png.9c0e2e5c7dffc00d365c31ddf59506f3.png

Here is another thing I found out after some more testing:

The problem is more noticable, when I set the refresh rate to 144Hz. If it is set to 120Hz, it is far less frequent (maybe non existent?).

I also didn't notice it during gaming (Cyberpunk), so I really don't think it has something to do with the PSU. Maybe it is a monitor problem?

Thank you very much.

Cheers 🙂

8 minutes ago, m_te said:

when I set the refresh rate to 144Hz. If it is set to 120Hz

Do you have G-Sync enabled by any chance? If so, disable it and see if the issue goes away. 

2 minutes ago, Founders said:

Do you have G-Sync enabled by any chance? If so, disable it and see if the issue goes away. 

The monitor doesn't support G-Sync. Only FreeSync.

I just disabled FreeSync in the monitor OSD and G-Sync in the nV Control Panel.

But the Problem persists, when setting the refresh rate to 144Hz.

You're using a Display Port cable, correct? Do you have another one available you can try? Do you have any available driver updates running the Intel Update Utility? 11/29/21 is the release date of the most recent rev. of your BIOS. Are you up to date? 

Hey again.

I tried your steps and updated my BIOS. This resulted in some really frustrating issues with my RAID (Intel Rapid Storage; BIOS controlled) and a sleepless night, but eventually I managed to fix it again. Without any data loss, luckily.

But this didn't fix the problem either. Eventually I tried another DP Cable as you said and this actually seems to have fixed it. I tried it over the last couple of days and I didn't experience the problems anymore, yet. Thank you! 🙂

I am marking this thread as solved.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, m_te said:

Hey again.

I tried your steps and updated my BIOS. This resulted in some really frustrating issues with my RAID (Intel Rapid Storage; BIOS controlled) and a sleepless night, but eventually I managed to fix it again. Without any data loss, luckily.

But this didn't fix the problem either. Eventually I tried another DP Cable as you said and this actually seems to have fixed it. I tried it over the last couple of days and I didn't experience the problems anymore, yet. Thank you! 🙂

I am marking this thread as solved.

Cheers.

Glad to hear that, happy to help!