AMD Ryzen 7 5800x permanently at 100% (and over)

mga814

I am at my wit’s end.

Had no issues with PC after installing new CPU over a month ago, never overclocked. Two days ago, I was playing VR (Oculus Quest 2 via AirLink, not that I think that matters) and everything was completely normal. Turned off PC like usual when I was done. 

After work the next day, turned on my PC to play VR again and noticed immediately that as soon as the PC had to load anything visually, the game tanked and dropped to 3-5 FPS and became very unstable. Figured it was a router bandwidth issue so switched to a physical cable to Link but the exact same issue was present.

Sat down to try more conventional gaming and while things mostly seemed to run fine (better than the VR), the games were very prone to stuttering and were unstable as well. For example, trying to change the game resolution from 1080p to 1440p would cause the game to freeze for 15+ seconds, and half the time this would then cause the game to complete crash to desktop. 

I also noticed that if I had a video/movie playing on VLC or the Videos application, opening a file or really clicking on anything would cause several seconds of stutter in the video, which I had never experienced before. Naturally, I figured something may be up with my CPU. Sure enough, I opened task manager and it was sitting at 100% use. This does not seem tied to any specific application or process, and TM will read that whatever I have running in the foreground is using 90% or more of the CPU. If I close everything and have no applications running, the CPU will read that it’s being used by various Windows processes.

I tried numerous first and third party hardware monitoring apps to see what was happening and they all agreed that my clock speed was constantly sitting between 3800mhz and 4700mhz (usually closer to 4700) despite it supposedly having a non-OC max speed of 3800. I then went through every setting I could think of to see if this was being enabled somehow. I checked the AMD proprietary software, which read the abnormally high speed and usage but all my OC and manual settings were normal. My UEFI settings all seemed normal and unchanged, all reading non-OC. I updated my UEFI anyway, to no avail.

I reinstalled drivers for every component of my PC, to no avail. I did a full reinstall of Windows, to no avail. I did see that for some reason the minimum processor state for the High Performance Mode had become set to 100, but changing this had no effect on the issue.

I DID notice, curiously, that changing the Windows Power Mode settings seemed to have some effect. EVERY single mode except ‘Balanced’ leaves me with my now-usual issue of CPU usage, with no difference between the modes. ‘Balanced’ causes the Task Manager readings to go back to normal, but the other hardware monitoring tools still say that it’s now sitting at 3800mhz constantly, while occasionally spiking back to 4700mhz if I open a new application or something.

Build:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

EVGA Nvidia 3080ti FTW3 Ultra

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x16gb) @3466mhz

EVGA SuperNOVA 850w 80Plus Gold

It sounds a bit strange, and there's not a lot to go off of here. You can try updating the amd chipset drivers.

26 minutes ago, mga814 said:

I tried numerous first and third party hardware monitoring apps to see what was happening and they all agreed that my clock speed was constantly sitting between 3800mhz and 4700mhz

This is normal, the base clock is 3800mhz, while the boost clock is up to 4700mhz, which has nothing to do with overclocking.

28 minutes ago, mga814 said:

‘Balanced’ causes the Task Manager readings to go back to normal, but the other hardware monitoring tools still say that it’s now sitting at 3800mhz constantly, while occasionally spiking back to 4700mhz if I open a new application or something.

To be clear, we are talking about high usage right? Task manager and other 3rd party software can't report amd's c-states properly, it will report the base clock, even if the core is actually running at 300mhz. Use AMD Ryzen Master if you want to know the actual clock speed.

48 minutes ago, mga814 said:

I did a full reinstall of Windows, to no avail.

When you say you reinstalled Windows, did you do so using the Installation media available online or did you do a system reset from the recovery menu? 

50 minutes ago, mga814 said:

between 3800mhz and 4700mhz

This is normal.

51 minutes ago, mga814 said:

I updated my UEFI anyway, to no avail.

Are you absolutely sure it updated successfully. I normally have to use a small USB 2.0 flash drive, less than 16GB formatted to FAT32, to successfully flash BIOS on AMD chipsets. 

53 minutes ago, mga814 said:

I opened task manager and it was sitting at 100% use. This does not seem tied to any specific application or process

Did you sort by CPU usage to identify the faulty process? There has to be something here using your resources. Unless your PC is infected with something but a clean install would have resolved that.

Is it possible you torqued your CPU cooler on too tight? This is something that may not have been readily apparent right away but can cause weird issues at times. Try taking off your cooler and checking to make sure there's nothing out of sorts. You never mentioned your temps specifically, are they exceptionally close to T-junction? Do you have PBO enabled, if so, disable it for testing to see if perhaps your board is at fault with it's overclock/voltage curves. Run your system as close to reference speeds as possible, even your RAM, and see if your CPU usage returns to normal.