The least power consuming linux version? Searching a way to spend the battery life as slow as possible.

Hi guys,

I own the Acer Swift 3 laptop that claims 10 hours of battery life. And the claim is true, my laptop can stand 10 hours on battery life. But it was a year ago.

I realized that this laptop does throttles the CPU to 70C, and the GPU to 65C which makes terrible throttling while gaming. So with Throttlestop and ASUS GPU Tweak 2, I set both to 90C limit and the gaming performance now is very good. The bad thing is, while on battery life, even not gaming, the battery can only stand like 2 hours. Brightness on dark and battery saver on. And this makes me mad especially when there is an electricity cut.

So I'm in search of how can I make the battery life longer on battery life. The mAh capacity details say that there is only 10% capacity loss, which I think the laptop may still can stand 7-8 hours if we can find the way.

I'm thinking about making dual-boot of a Linux distro, which I'll only surf the internet or look for my documents. The secondary OS (Linux) here will have the least battery life impact somehow. Is it possible?

Any suggestions? Linus' battery saving tips didn't make much difference but I think the softwares I use impact the laptop's battery life. Even I restart the laptop, my battery life still can't be more than 2.5 hours.

My own experience is that power management in Linux is worse than in Windows. Using Powertop does not magically make your battery last any longer than in windows, you might get an extra half hour if you throttle your CPU below its rated clocks. Your experience in Linux can be smoother on battery but wont be 4 times better than windows.

Laptop ratings rarely match the real life use case scenario, only device I ever had that matched its claim is the M1 MBA, every other device lasted significantly less than it advertised.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I have a Lenovo Ideapad L340-15IRH, on Windows I'd get about 2 hours of battery life, on Linux I get about 3-4 hours under Manjaro, Manjaro is pretty heavy in some cases, I'd reccomend using KDE desktops, KDE desktop's are lightweight and have a lot of features, and I'd choose a distro that isn't bloated, because more bloat = lower battery, if you do these 2, your battery life will def be above 4 hours