Why does it matter how I turn the adapter?

frozensun
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Obviously it doesnt seat into socket properly one way or that adapter isnt making contact to its pins internally

Hi guys.
The adapter for my external WD My Book was left on the wall socket (extender).
I connected the USB cable to the laptop and nothing the disk was dead (I couldn't hear motors).
Gosh I got scared that my HDD died on me...I tried other PCs same issue.
Then I unpluged the adapter from wall socket(extender with surge protection) and just flipped it in opposite direction.Now it works.
Now I want to know,curiosity killed me,why does it matter in this case,how the adapter is plugged in.

Now I'm sure @jonnyGURU knows the answer.

20220118_195754.jpg

20220118_195741.jpg

20220118_195728.jpg

20220118_195808.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Obviously it doesnt seat into socket properly one way or that adapter isnt making contact to its pins internally

Edited by Levent

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Yeah other thing that is plugged in the socket next to it, probably blocks it from going all the way...

I recently bought power cube just because so many devices have bulky adapters and 5  sockets on regular extender basically turn into 3...

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

Its literally impossible not to plug it all the way in.

Now I'm not electrical engineer but should work one way or the other,doesn't matter the direction.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

A physical contact issue is the only thing that would stop it from working, so it seems like it just wasn't plugged in all the way for some reason. It's AC, so it'll work when plugged in either way. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I don't believe polarity matters for a device of this type, so lack of contact is what I concur with.  Device polarity (aka, why plugs in the USA often have different size/shape prongs) is fairly uncommon these days.

7 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Its literally impossible not to plug it all the way in.

Now I'm not electrical engineer but should work one way or the other,doesn't matter the direction.

Not impossible at all, and in fact if you look carefully at the little guides either side it even looks like its not as far into the socket in the first pic.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Ok guys hold on..let me plug it in wrong/reverse way one again.

Update...yeah it works now...

Probably didn't plug in all the way in.

Now I did hear loud pop which meant I did plug it in all the way.

Thx guys...