A GPU you might be able to buy… But shouldn’t.

Emily Young

@Middcore What AMD's goals are doesn't factor in any way whatsover in what I wrote.

And for my personal subjective opinion, I've already wrote it out a few months ago, where I predicted wider availability of 4GB cards in and around a 2 week window in relation to march 8th.

As that is when the profitability of ETH mining on 4GB cards drops to 22% efficiency on Linux (using zombie mode). I'm waiting for march 8th(+-10 days) to quote myself with a "I told you so" post, either in my favour or against it 🙂 And if all cards are generally available due to even bigger drop in crypto price, I'll count that as "I was wrong, as my original assumption did not factor that in"

My suggestion was to hunt a potential Intel 4GB card, or a Nvidia 3050 4GB card at that point.

Here now, I'm just stating objective facts.

1 minute ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@Middcore What AMD's goals are doesn't factor in any way whatsover in what I wrote.

Well, I presume AMD's goal is to sell lots of cards. Since you count their cards not selling as "victory" for them, then I am forced to assume you think their goal is something else.

I am unclear on what the rest of your post has to do with the question of whether AMD has "won" the 6500 XT vs 3050 competition. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Since you count their cards not selling as "victory" for them, then I am forced to assume you think their goal is something else.

Again not exactly 100% relevant, as that is the point of "Pyrrhic Victory". One where there is a high chance the cost of it was not worth it. We completely agree on the essential, it's just the semantics where we disagree xD

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I am unclear on what the rest of your post has to do with the question of whether AMD has "won" the 6500 XT vs 3050 competition. 

To elaborate on the context and scope of what I wrote, with a subjective vs objective example.

1 minute ago, Dogzilla07 said:

To elaborate on the context and scope of what I wrote, with a subjective vs objective example.

To be quite direct: your elaboration doesn't at all render the point you're trying to make any clearer. Maybe you could try rephrasing it? It looks like a tangent speculating about 4GB cards becoming more available/affordable when they finally really are unprofitable for crypto mining. But I don't see how that's related to the topic of who "wins" between the 3050 and 6500 XT.

Maybe you're saying that at that point miners will still want the 3050 because it has 8GB of VRAM but won't want the 6500 XT and so the 6500 XT will win by default through better availability? That's the only possible point I can glean from what you're saying and it's purely a guess. If that's what you're trying to say, it's entirely possible, but I don't see how the relative availability of the two cards now allows us to predict what will happen at that point either way. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

15 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Maybe you're saying that at that point miners will still want the 3050 because it has 8GB of VRAM but won't want the 6500 XT and so the 6500 XT will win by default through better availability? That's the only possible point I can glean from what you're saying and it's purely a guess. If that's what you're trying to say, it's entirely possible, but I don't see how the relative availability of the two cards now allows us to predict what will happen at that point either way. 

Exactly, 3050 8GB will be high in demand for mining, but there is still a very high probability of +-10 days from march 8th <4GB availability due to the 22% effeciency I mention (even less on Windows). 80-90% of happening. Which will in turn produce days of availability for relative normal prices.

The second window of opportunity is Ethereum going Proof-of-Stake (and this one involves 3050 8GB and well, all cards), but that is :

1. Harder to pinpoint timewise, as it's not a irrefutable and easily calculatable number as the 4GB above.

2. Harder to predict how big and long of an impact it will make, if any

Which makes it a measly 30-40% chance.

6500 xt is selling like hot-cakes on Mindfactory [400 sold] and Microcenter [20-ish sold], ... Starting prices $260/280 eur. Both of the sites track and display available stock, and Mindfactory tracks and displays sold stock.

Which corresponds to 1/2 the 3050 8GB price, for 14x more availability (exact hours after release for both, Mindfactory numbers), inadequate comprison availability is 80x.

Which in my subjective opinion translates to  "Not great not terrible" or on a scale from 1 to 10 = "3.6 Ro"

*Like HardwareUnboxed mentioned RX 6600 is $460/500 eur, so, ...

Yea I'd rather buy another RX480/580

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Here we are a week later, 6500 XT is not selling at all anymore. barely 10 pieces sold in US at Microcenter, and EU Mindfactory tapered off. Price and availability are awesome.

Which corresponds to 1/2 the 3050 8GB price for 25% more availability (week to week). With the Caveat that this is only for the EU market, as 3050 8GB availability and prices for the US have been horrible (>$600 price), no Microcenter stock.

Radeon RX 6600 has been consistently the best priced GPU (cheaper than the 3050 8GB in US, and same price in EU).

Steve from HardwareUnboxed has been partially correct with the 3050 8G stock (at least for EU). It's entirely possible there's a bit more 3050s to drop in the US, if there's a huge LAG at shipping ports still.

TL:DR Less Europeans watched techtuber youtube videos and went out and bought a metric ton of 6500 XT. While all of Microcenter shoppers are avid techtuber watchers 🙂