Recording and Editing Directly To/Off NAS

I have an old i3 6100 pc kicking around collecting dust and I was thinking of turning it into a NAS for storing game recordings and as a plex box as well because I'm running out of drive space in my case. I was originally thinking of just getting an external HDD and being done with it but it'd be a good little project for me to work on. I'm confident I'll be able to set it up but will I be able to record game footage straight to the NAS over LAN? I cba to transfer files at the end of each session but being able to record straight to the networked drives would be great! I'm also hoping to edit these files in Premiere after the fact. Are there any considerations I need to make when building and configuring this thing to be able to do all of this? I know I might want to add a network card for faster ethernet but apart from that I'm not sure. 

Any help would be great, thanks! 🙂 

A external hdd really seems to be the way to go here. Cheaper, faster, more reliable, less power, and less to setup.

Yea you can record to a nas share, Ive done with OBS before without issue. Permiere can also edit from a nas

Yeaaah, I would think that you would bottleneck that CPU/box pretty quick when trying to edit files over LAN. I have tried this with some old thin client machines running i3's or core duo's just for fun.

Basically you'll end up pegging the CPU pretty hard when you try to request "too" much data to quickly, especially when scrubbing through the video over LAN.

For best performance, get a USB3/TB SSD external. Otherwise a spinning drive.