HDD help..thinking to buy the latest model for being most reliable...

hello my fellow! thinking to buy the latest model for being most reliable..... i m so confused right now.. like ive read tat WD black and seagates barracuda Pro are most relaible consumer hard drives.. yes i dont want it to have bad sectors please.....so i found these models and they are like launched at 2013 ..wtf?? like arent they makin new models of wd black now?? ( see the screenshots thanks).. so all i mean is ,do u guys know any newer models of wd black.. im lookinj for a lil budget friendly too... that wd black 2tb is 80 usd... something like that.. i was gonna get barracuda 2tb ( not  pro).. but they said its not reliable so:(....... and also which one is most relaible ... wd black 2tb ... or seagate barracuda pro 2tb(idk model yet. but newwer model one)1111114Capture.PNG.d87397d0378a08d84faf3b10be7b14cd.PNG1111112Capture.PNG.24758b32a6f6bd5fc37c673960fd15ab.PNG

What do you want them to change on those models? I'm sure they've likely changed firmware throughout the years, but hard drive design has not changed that much, at least not in those capacities. I bought nothing but black drives for a long time until I had to move to Gold drives or HGST drives for more capacity. It's never been an issue. I wouldn't worry about the release date.

I think the 2 TB Black is a solid choice personally.

11 minutes ago, kale3000 said:

hello my fellow! thinking to buy the latest model for being most reliable..... i m so confused right now.. like ive read tat WD black and seagates barracuda Pro are most relaible consumer hard drives.. yes i dont want it to have bad sectors please.....so i found these models and they are like launched at 2013 ..wtf?? like arent they makin new models of wd black now?? ( see the screenshots thanks).. so all i mean is ,do u guys know any newer models of wd black.. im lookinj for a lil budget friendly too... that wd black 2tb is 80 usd... something like that.. i was gonna get barracuda 2tb ( not  pro).. but they said its not reliable so:(....... and also which one is most relaible ... wd black 2tb ... or seagate barracuda pro 2tb(idk model yet. but newwer model one)1111114Capture.PNG.d87397d0378a08d84faf3b10be7b14cd.PNG1111112Capture.PNG.24758b32a6f6bd5fc37c673960fd15ab.PNG

I would just go for the WD Blue Series. No one is really buying high performance HDDs anymore so it doesn't surprise me they have not been updated since 2013. SSDs have gone down in price enough in terms of price to capacity that there's no real reason to go for HDDs unless you're really budget constrained or going for long term mass storage. 

They've pretty much done all they can to pull performance out of a spinning disk so even the WD Blue would have barely changed over the years.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Well all hdds are gonna fail, so make good backups so you don't lose data. I have yet to see any evidence a high end hdd is more reliable, so Id get the cheaper ones.

10 minutes ago, kale3000 said:

. i was gonna get barracuda 2tb

For 2tb, a ssd will be much more reliable, and much faster, thast what I'd get here. And not that much more expensive.

No hard drive will have bad sectors when you buy it, but there's absolutely no way of knowing how well a hard drive will function and if it will fail or if it will fail quickly.

In theory WD Black series is more reliable than other series, but you pay the price and you get a longer warranty, higher rpm and a hotter, noisier hard drive.

Overall, it's not really worth it, as there's other series between cheapest and the WD Black... for example in WD's case... WD Green is cheapest, WD Blue is about the same or a bit better, then you have WD Red  (NAS), WD Purple and other colors (optimized for surveillance, meaning 24/7 operation like NAS but less focus on fast read speeds, more about consistency when writing multiple files in parallel, like when you record 8-16 cameras in parallel and write the data to drive) ... wd gold is enterise-ish drives (old hgst helium..)

You can say the same thing about NAS drives  (for example WD Red, WD Red Plus, WD Red Pro) - they're a  bit better than regular series because they're supposed to be used in NAS machines where multiple drives are sitting close together so in theory they're made to handle vibrations better, and to work better in a 24/7 operation (because people don't turn off NAS machines at night)

That's not the case with WD Black series - the WD Black is about performance, speed, not running 24/7...  it's your sport car (fast but more power hungry, noisier, with better quality components therefore longer life ... but it's not a pickup truck / work horse designed to work for long periods of time, and be consistent about it and so on.

WD Red is regular NAS, using SMR recording (slower at overwriting and writing data), Red Plus is CMR which is faster, Red Pro is if my memory is correct the old HGST drives (WD bought the brand a long time ago and decided to merge those under WD label)

New hard drives have a higher percentage of dying in the first 3 months or so of operation according to Google's study. So whatever NEW drive you buy, I'd suggest keeping your PC running for as long as possible in those first 3 months, and copy files to your drive as often as possible.

See page 5 and 6 in https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf

Statistically, up to 4% of new drives die in the first 3 months of running 24/7 under low usage, up to 10% die in first 3 months with heavy usage (read a web server, a database server always reading and writing files on the drive)

If your hard drive doesn't die during that period, chances are that it will last for at least 3-4 years, but failure percentage tends to increase after that period 

Also keep the drive reasonably cool but don't overdo it ... too cold drives tend to fail more often, as you can see on page 6 of that document... 30...40c is the sweetspot for hard drives. A WD Black will get quite hot so you would want to have a fan moving some air over it.

I've only had Blue's, and apart from one going bad as a result of windows blowing itself up, (required a secure erase to fix it) they've all been super duper reliable. The laptops they've been in all had drop protection(accelerometer that would cut power to drive if it determined it was in free fall. Great feature) so there's that. 

I would look in the HGST/Hitachi, which was bought by WD not to long ago. You can get a very similar drive (64,128, 256mb cache, 7200prm, etc) for a little less price. I have used these drives in my machine and they keep kicking. I got the idea to use them after noticing the R720's my company was replacing had a ton of them in mixed with WD. Normally I have always stuck with WD over the last 20 or so years of computer work.

I bought 4 of these (https://www.newegg.com/hgst-deskstar-nas-0s04005-4tb/p/N82E16822146116?Item=N82E16822146116) for my last gaming rig set up in Nov of 2017. I had 4 of them in Raid 10 as the drive where default windows profiles were created. When I upgraded a couple of years ago I switched to SSD's and recycled those drives in to a 2nd gaming rig for my wife/kids. They are still running.

You can do it a couple of different ways, if this is primarily a gaming machine you are building I would stick with an SSD. Or an SSD for the boot/games and an HDD for everything else if you need 1-2TB+. The prices of SSD's have come down so much lately that getting a 2TB SSD or a 1TB SSD with a 2TB HDD is around the same price. Just make sure you either RAID the HDD (at the very least RAID 1, if your mobo supports it). And/Or get a cheap external drive to perform backup's too.

3 hours ago, kale3000 said:

i dont want it to have bad sectors please...

Almost every HDD has bad sectors. They ship with those sectors mapped out.

SSD are more reliable than HDD. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:07 AM, OhioYJ said:

What do you want them to change on those models? I'm sure they've likely changed firmware throughout the years, but hard drive design has not changed that much, at least not in those capacities. I bought nothing but black drives for a long time until I had to move to Gold drives or HGST drives for more capacity. It's never been an issue. I wouldn't worry about the release date.

I think the 2 TB Black is a solid choice personally.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:07 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would just go for the WD Blue Series. No one is really buying high performance HDDs anymore so it doesn't surprise me they have not been updated since 2013. SSDs have gone down in price enough in terms of price to capacity that there's no real reason to go for HDDs unless you're really budget constrained or going for long term mass storage. 

They've pretty much done all they can to pull performance out of a spinning disk so even the WD Blue would have barely changed over the years.

i just want a fresh hdd that hasnt been touched uxuz my hdd rn has 3 bad sectorrs.... its some kinda enterprise wd hdd from 2011.. idk i cant find much details too.. i bought it in used market and i regret it now .....

On 1/19/2022 at 6:07 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

On 1/19/2022 at 6:08 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well all hdds are gonna fail, so make good backups so you don't lose data. I have yet to see any evidence a high end hdd is more reliable, so Id get the cheaper ones.

For 2tb, a ssd will be much more reliable, and much faster, thast what I'd get here. And not that much more expensive.

like which one sata sdd?? i want it to have vram too.. or ssd is way letter relaible then.... idk im starting to hate storages now.......... and im not having job to go for expensive ones too.arghhh

thanks forr reply 

On 1/19/2022 at 6:20 AM, mariushm said:

No hard drive will have bad sectors when you buy it, but there's absolutely no way of knowing how well a hard drive will function and if it will fail or if it will fail quickly.

In theory WD Black series is more reliable than other series, but you pay the price and you get a longer warranty, higher rpm and a hotter, noisier hard drive.

Overall, it's not really worth it, as there's other series between cheapest and the WD Black... for example in WD's case... WD Green is cheapest, WD Blue is about the same or a bit better, then you have WD Red  (NAS), WD Purple and other colors (optimized for surveillance, meaning 24/7 operation like NAS but less focus on fast read speeds, more about consistency when writing multiple files in parallel, like when you record 8-16 cameras in parallel and write the data to drive) ... wd gold is enterise-ish drives (old hgst helium..)

You can say the same thing about NAS drives  (for example WD Red, WD Red Plus, WD Red Pro) - they're a  bit better than regular series because they're supposed to be used in NAS machines where multiple drives are sitting close together so in theory they're made to handle vibrations better, and to work better in a 24/7 operation (because people don't turn off NAS machines at night)

That's not the case with WD Black series - the WD Black is about performance, speed, not running 24/7...  it's your sport car (fast but more power hungry, noisier, with better quality components therefore longer life ... but it's not a pickup truck / work horse designed to work for long periods of time, and be consistent about it and so on.

WD Red is regular NAS, using SMR recording (slower at overwriting and writing data), Red Plus is CMR which is faster, Red Pro is if my memory is correct the old HGST drives (WD bought the brand a long time ago and decided to merge those under WD label)

New hard drives have a higher percentage of dying in the first 3 months or so of operation according to Google's study. So whatever NEW drive you buy, I'd suggest keeping your PC running for as long as possible in those first 3 months, and copy files to your drive as often as possible.

See page 5 and 6 in https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf

Statistically, up to 4% of new drives die in the first 3 months of running 24/7 under low usage, up to 10% die in first 3 months with heavy usage (read a web server, a database server always reading and writing files on the drive)

If your hard drive doesn't die during that period, chances are that it will last for at least 3-4 years, but failure percentage tends to increase after that period 

Also keep the drive reasonably cool but don't overdo it ... too cold drives tend to fail more often, as you can see on page 6 of that document... 30...40c is the sweetspot for hard drives. A WD Black will get quite hot so you would want to have a fan moving some air over it.

sooooo much ifooo.. thaks dude.....im choosing wd black for having better components.... only.. i wanna go for ironwofl for relaibility... i take care of my stuff.. it wont drop etc but im scared it will stop workin...and bad sectors etc.. thats why......

On 1/19/2022 at 8:32 AM, BiotechBen said:

I've only had Blue's, and apart from one going bad as a result of windows blowing itself up, (required a secure erase to fix it) they've all been super duper reliable. The laptops they've been in all had drop protection(accelerometer that would cut power to drive if it determined it was in free fall. Great feature) so there's that. 

i want relabilyy...yuppp

thanks for help

On 1/19/2022 at 9:03 AM, IntelJoe said:

I would look in the HGST/Hitachi, which was bought by WD not to long ago. You can get a very similar drive (64,128, 256mb cache, 7200prm, etc) for a little less price. I have used these drives in my machine and they keep kicking. I got the idea to use them after noticing the R720's my company was replacing had a ton of them in mixed with WD. Normally I have always stuck with WD over the last 20 or so years of computer work.

I bought 4 of these (https://www.newegg.com/hgst-deskstar-nas-0s04005-4tb/p/N82E16822146116?Item=N82E16822146116) for my last gaming rig set up in Nov of 2017. I had 4 of them in Raid 10 as the drive where default windows profiles were created. When I upgraded a couple of years ago I switched to SSD's and recycled those drives in to a 2nd gaming rig for my wife/kids. They are still running.

You can do it a couple of different ways, if this is primarily a gaming machine you are building I would stick with an SSD. Or an SSD for the boot/games and an HDD for everything else if you need 1-2TB+. The prices of SSD's have come down so much lately that getting a 2TB SSD or a 1TB SSD with a 2TB HDD is around the same price. Just make sure you either RAID the HDD (at the very least RAID 1, if your mobo supports it). And/Or get a cheap external drive to perform backup's too.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:16 AM, brob said:

Almost every HDD has bad sectors. They ship with those sectors mapped out.

SSD are more reliable than HDD. 

i just want i not to fuck me with bad sectors... i think ill go with sata ssd with dram cache for logitivity.. i guess... atleast 5 years.. or 4.. idk.. i just wanna save game installation files on it .. and personal photos... whihch i dont cliick too often.. meaning just around 50 gb

3 hours ago, kale3000 said:

sooooo much ifooo.. thaks dude.....im choosing wd black for having better components.... only.. i wanna go for ironwofl for relaibility... i take care of my stuff.. it wont drop etc but im scared it will stop workin...and bad sectors etc.. thats why......

Then why IronWolf? A slower drive with less warranty? I'd also say and a Seagate, but that's just a personal preference... I think you are over complicating this. Any drive can fail. You know bad sectors are not just a HD thing, they happen in SSDs too right?

4 hours ago, kale3000 said:

like which one sata sdd?? i want it to have vram too.. or ssd is way letter relaible then.... idk im starting to hate storages now.......... and im not having job to go for expensive ones too.arghhh

thanks forr reply 

Any of the good sata ssd will work here, like the wd blue 870 evo, s31 and simmilar. A ssd will be your most reliable option here by far.

4 hours ago, kale3000 said:

Id get the cheaper drive. They all have a simmilar failure rate, your overthinking this. Backups keep your data safe, don't try to pick the perfect hdd.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 2:52 AM, OhioYJ said:

Then why IronWolf? A slower drive with less warranty? I'd also say and a Seagate, but that's just a personal preference... I think you are over complicating this. Any drive can fail. You know bad sectors are not just a HD thing, they happen in SSDs too right?

On 1/25/2022 at 2:58 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Any of the good sata ssd will work here, like the wd blue 870 evo, s31 and simmilar. A ssd will be your most reliable option here by far.

Id get the cheaper drive. They all have a simmilar failure rate, your overthinking this. Backups keep your data safe, don't try to pick the perfect hdd.

oh boy... i guess ill just stay with my old hdd that ive been using...... until i can buy an ssd.... thanks people.... i love ur responces...