Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Faulty SSDs, what do i replace it with?

Maru.

Go to solution Solved by kokosnh,

there are 3 hardware versions of the pny cs900, they are not really fast, or reliable. One of the worst SSD out there but cheap.  240GB model is build on Phison S11, the same as that gigabyte 120 GB SSD of yours. That controller have a design defect, that causes it to corrupt it's firmware, and go into the service mode (that "SATAFIRM S11"). It's a NO NO for me. 

Very good rule when buying SSD, is but one that is build on the top model for that category of SSD, from big ssd controller manufacturer like phison, marvell, samsung, or Silicon Motion.
Crucial mx500 250GB, and a WD Blue 250GB 3D, are good choice. But they to can fail, just not are frequently as the cheaper SSD, but still. 
And remember always make a backup. 

First time here, i hope im in the right place

the story begins when i decide to buy a ssd for my windows 7 OS. I  chose a WD Green 120gb sata ssd, checked the web for ussual failures and saw very few and different problems, so i bought it. After less than a year, the pc suddenly froze. When i restarted it, it couldnt find a boot device. The disk had now a few kb of space and was renamed "SANDISK MILPITAS SSD". When i searched the web, i found a lot of identical cases to mine, that i hadn't seen before. A little mad at the fact that my ssd failed before 1 year, i decided to buy one for a different brand. Bought a gigabyte 120gb ssd, again, checking the web not to fall to a similar problem. After 10 months, same thing. Now, it was renamed as "SATAFIRM S11". Again, the web was now full of identical cases, saying it was a failure from the Phison 11 controller.

Today i wanted to buy a new one, trying to choose between a Crucial mx500 240gb and a WD Blue 240gb 3D, but i found that the mx500s had a firmware problem last year, and i have this little "history" with WD controllers. 

Since i'm nowhere near an expert on this topic, i figured that i would ask help from people who actually know about the stuff. Which of those should i buy? Or maybe another brand?

(Sorry for that, i think it's too much text)

if you are looking for a budget u should consider getting pny cs900 i have the 240gb version and it does the job no errors and stuff and its cheap only like 30$ here in my country idk if it will break within a year or not but its worth a try imo ive been using it for 2 months now and no problems and i dont see any bad reviews regarding this model

there are 3 hardware versions of the pny cs900, they are not really fast, or reliable. One of the worst SSD out there but cheap.  240GB model is build on Phison S11, the same as that gigabyte 120 GB SSD of yours. That controller have a design defect, that causes it to corrupt it's firmware, and go into the service mode (that "SATAFIRM S11"). It's a NO NO for me. 

Very good rule when buying SSD, is but one that is build on the top model for that category of SSD, from big ssd controller manufacturer like phison, marvell, samsung, or Silicon Motion.
Crucial mx500 250GB, and a WD Blue 250GB 3D, are good choice. But they to can fail, just not are frequently as the cheaper SSD, but still. 
And remember always make a backup.