Should I upgrade my VGA or build a new PC? Advice needed

Nostalgia7

Hey everyone!

I have a rather old PC from 9 years and I gotta choose between upgrading my Graphics Card or building a new PC using the same old GTX 760. As you're aware, GPU prices are currently exaggerated so is it a wise choice to only upgrade the GPU? I'm also willing to build an entirely new PC and i'd like to get something like i7-12700k but I'll fall short in getting a new GPU due to limited budget. Is it possible to combine such a high end CPU and system with a weak GTX 760 until the GPU prices fall down a bit? I'm confused as to what I should do and need your suggestion.

My current specs are:

i5-3570K LGA1155

GTX 760 

B75M-D3H

8 GB DDR3 RAM

Seasonic S2ll-520 Bronze 520 Watts PSU

Budget (including currency): $1500

You won't really be gaining much if you upgrade your GPU and not your CPU but you won't really gain much if you upgrade everything else instead of your GPU. The 3570k just isnt capable of keeping up with todays games.

I would honestly upgrade your CPU but maybe go with a Ryzen 7 5800X instead of an i7 12700k to save a little money to get a temporary GPU upgrade?

You could also get a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 to save even more money to allow for an even better GPU.

As someone who had to go through this same thing a few months ago I do understand but  I ended going with a CPU and Mobo overhaul and just searching for a 1660ti at a somewhat decent price to hold me over. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

The issue here is that a i5 3570k is inadequate for modern gaming due to only having 4 threads so any new gpu would struggle.

I would normally advice to try and get a i7 3770 or it's xeon equivalent for your board but since you also only ahve 8gb of ram the cost would be about a 100$ total to get that upgraded and that money isn't really worth it.

Psu wise it would also basically need to be replaced since it's old and won't power even a 3060 safely.

But since it's an either or scenario I'd say just save up for longer as with that new i7 you'd barely notice the difference if you were using that or the i5 for gaming due to the 760 being so weak.

If you really don't want to wait you can do the used i7 3770 or the e3 xeon equivalent ( a quad core with hyperthreading. So in total you'll have 8 threads which is the current minimum recommended for gaming) + 8gb used ddr3 and a new good quality 650w or higher psu and then get something like a rtx 3060.

I think I would bide my time and save up some more funds. That GPU wont play well with newer games and neither will that CPU no matter what modern CPU/GPU they're paired with. Maybe by the time when you have saved up some more money, prices could've dropped.

29 minutes ago, Nostalgia7 said:

Hey everyone!

I have a rather old PC from 9 years and I gotta choose between upgrading my Graphics Card or building a new PC using the same old GTX 760. As you're aware, GPU prices are currently exaggerated so is it a wise choice to only upgrade the GPU? I'm also willing to build an entirely new PC and i'd like to get something like i7-12700k but I'll fall short in getting a new GPU due to limited budget. Is it possible to combine such a high end CPU and system with a weak GTX 760 until the GPU prices fall down a bit? I'm confused as to what I should do and need your suggestion.

My current specs are:

i5-3570K LGA1155

GTX 760 

B75M-D3H

8 GB DDR3 RAM

Seasonic S2ll-520 Bronze 520 Watts PSU

Budget (including currency): $1500

What kind of games do you play and what resolution is your monitor and/or what resolution would you like to play at?

$1500 is a decent budget

You can sell your current system and add to that budget (if the money isn't already factored in)

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

29 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

You won't really be gaining much if you upgrade your GPU and not your CPU but you won't really gain much if you upgrade everything else instead of your GPU. The 3570k just isnt capable of keeping up with todays games.

I would honestly upgrade your CPU but maybe go with a Ryzen 7 5800X instead of an i7 12700k to save a little money to get a temporary GPU upgrade?

You could also get a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 to save even more money to allow for an even better GPU.

As someone who had to go through this same thing a few months ago I do understand but  I ended going with a CPU and Mobo overhaul and just searching for a 1660ti at a somewhat decent price to hold me over. 

I think I can go for a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 as they're decent mid-rangers but in few years short they will become kinda weak for competitive games. I do prefer to get a high-end CPU to prevent from constantly upgrading every few years. Eventually i'll have to choose whether to build a mid-range or save up more to get a better setup.

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The issue here is that a i5 3570k is inadequate for modern gaming due to only having 4 threads so any new gpu would struggle.

I would normally advice to try and get a i7 3770 or it's xeon equivalent for your board but since you also only ahve 8gb of ram the cost would be about a 100$ total to get that upgraded and that money isn't really worth it.

Psu wise it would also basically need to be replaced since it's old and won't power even a 3060 safely.

But since it's an either or scenario I'd say just save up for longer as with that new i7 you'd barely notice the difference if you were using that or the i5 for gaming due to the 760 being so weak.

If you really don't want to wait you can do the used i7 3770 or the e3 xeon equivalent ( a quad core with hyperthreading. So in total you'll have 8 threads which is the current minimum recommended for gaming) + 8gb used ddr3 and a new good quality 650w or higher psu and then get something like a rtx 3060.

A 3rd Gen i7 is comparable to my i5, isn't that right?

25 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I think I would bide my time and save up some more funds. That GPU wont play well with newer games and neither will that CPU no matter what modern CPU/GPU they're paired with. Maybe by the time when you have saved up some more money, prices could've dropped.

You're totally right I guess i'll have to wait and save

8 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

What kind of games do you play and what resolution is your monitor and/or what resolution would you like to play at?

$1500 is a decent budget

You can sell your current system and add to that budget (if the money isn't already factored in)

I mainly play Call of Duty & Battlefield, my current monitor has 1600x900 resolution which is kinda disappointing i'd like to upgrade it to 1080p. I could also sell my current rig as you said since the amount isn't factored in.

28 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

1 hour ago, Nostalgia7 said:

I think I can go for a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 as they're decent mid-rangers but in few years short they will become kinda weak for competitive games. I do prefer to get a high-end CPU to prevent from constantly upgrading every few years. Eventually i'll have to choose whether to build a mid-range or save up more to get a better setup.

You're totally right I guess i'll have to wait and save

I mainly play Call of Duty & Battlefield, my current monitor has 1600x900 resolution which is kinda disappointing i'd like to upgrade it to 1080p. I could also sell my current rig as you said since the amount isn't factored in.

I don't think I'd bother upgrading a 900p monitor to 1080p. If you're going to go with a monitor upgrade as well, then go for 1440p at least.

I would totally build a new system on a $1500+ budget.

Here's a sample of what you could get;

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BCPtxc

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

9 hours ago, Nostalgia7 said:

I think I can go for a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 as they're decent mid-rangers but in few years short they will become kinda weak for competitive games

Esport titles? No. They wont get weak. Esport titles are made for lower end hardware. I don't know what you mean about "few" years though...

12 hours ago, Nostalgia7 said:

So let me just stop your right there. A ryzen 1600 a 4 almost 5 year old mid range cpu can still easily play any game out there right now. With the right gpu 100fps+ is totally achieavble in aaa games. 200fps+ is still totatlly achievable on it in esports games. Those games are meant to be easy to run. There is really not problem here.

The difference between a 5600 and 5800x in terms of single core performance is around 5% so in those esports games they are around 5% difference between the 2 since those games only use a couple of cores. Going mid range is by no means a problem here.

12 hours ago, Nostalgia7 said:

Yes but also no. The 3rd gen i7 has double the threads. So whilst the seemingly average fps will only be a bit better on the i7 the 1% and 0.1% lows will be EXTREMELY better. Those are the dips, stutters,... all that stuf that ruins your gameplay experience gone because due to its high threadcount it can handle a lot more things at a time.

Also that cpu is still a 60fps+ cpu in basically any game. Still goes 100fps+ in esports games and that thing is a decade old. That is just to show you that esports games really don't need much power and you really don't need to get the highest end or near highest end cpu at  the time. Those will get a lot cheaper on the used market over the years and can be a nice budget upgrade.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:56 AM, Tech87 said:

I don't think I'd bother upgrading a 900p monitor to 1080p. If you're going to go with a monitor upgrade as well, then go for 1440p at least.

I would totally build a new system on a $1500+ budget.

Here's a sample of what you could get;

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BCPtxc

Thanks for your suggestion, this build will totally suit me for my budget.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, aDoomGuy said:

Esport titles? No. They wont get weak. Esport titles are made for lower end hardware. I don't know what you mean about "few" years though...

Will I be able to play heavy FPS shooters on high settings? What I meant about few years is that I need a build that will last me long enough without having to upgrade any components again in the next couple of years. 

21 hours ago, jaslion said:

So let me just stop your right there. A ryzen 1600 a 4 almost 5 year old mid range cpu can still easily play any game out there right now. With the right gpu 100fps+ is totally achieavble in aaa games. 200fps+ is still totatlly achievable on it in esports games. Those games are meant to be easy to run. There is really not problem here.

The difference between a 5600 and 5800x in terms of single core performance is around 5% so in those esports games they are around 5% difference between the 2 since those games only use a couple of cores. Going mid range is by no means a problem here.

Yes but also no. The 3rd gen i7 has double the threads. So whilst the seemingly average fps will only be a bit better on the i7 the 1% and 0.1% lows will be EXTREMELY better. Those are the dips, stutters,... all that stuf that ruins your gameplay experience gone because due to its high threadcount it can handle a lot more things at a time.

Also that cpu is still a 60fps+ cpu in basically any game. Still goes 100fps+ in esports games and that thing is a decade old. That is just to show you that esports games really don't need much power and you really don't need to get the highest end or near highest end cpu at  the time. Those will get a lot cheaper on the used market over the years and can be a nice budget upgrade.

I appreciate your thoughts and advice. I might be able to get an i5-12600k coupled with RTX 3060, those will be able to handle high-end games like Battlefield 2042 and Far Cry 6 on high settings.

50 minutes ago, Nostalgia7 said:

Will I be able to play heavy FPS shooters on high settings? What I meant about few years is that I need a build that will last me long enough without having to upgrade any components again in the next couple of years. 

Yes! No problem. Ryzen 5 is strong CPU. It has 12 threads.

1 hour ago, Nostalgia7 said:

Thanks for your suggestion, this build will totally suit me for my budget.

I appreciate your thoughts and advice. I might be able to get an i5-12600k coupled with RTX 3060, those will be able to handle high-end games like Battlefield 2042 and Far Cry 6 on high settings.

Yeah the gpu will far sooner become a problem than the cpu. As I said a 3770k can still game anything 60fps+. The graphic settings have very little impact on cpu usage hence why a decade old cpu can still push those fps.

A 12600k is a very good cpu to go for. Coupled with a 3060 you have a great combo. High settings in those games no problem. Just don't do ultra those settings are bs anyway.

3 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yes! No problem. Ryzen 5 is strong CPU. It has 12 threads.

Thank you much appreciated.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yeah the gpu will far sooner become a problem than the cpu. As I said a 3770k can still game anything 60fps+. The graphic settings have very little impact on cpu usage hence why a decade old cpu can still push those fps.

A 12600k is a very good cpu to go for. Coupled with a 3060 you have a great combo. High settings in those games no problem. Just don't do ultra those settings are bs anyway.

Thanks i'm grateful for your advice.