Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I/O Shield gives off an electrical shock

ScorchSC
 Share

This is happening for a couple of months now but I'm just trying to fix it now. Ever since we moved, the I/O Shield on the back of my pc gives off an electrical shock (Everytime I try to connect something on the back I need to wear gloves). The only thing that I changed is that I'm now using a glass table. Other than that the plug is still 3 pronged connected to a power strip. Also I don't think it's ESD it is a continuous shock. Also it's only the I/O. I tried touching other metal parts but only the I/O gives off the shock.

 

Edit: Another issue that appears randomly and I don't know if this is related with this issue but sometimes whenever windows starts up (on the login screen) it is super unresponsive and I have to restart the pc to fix it

 

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600x

Gigabyte 6900XT

ASUS x570 TUF

32GB 3200mhz GSKILL Ripjaws

Noctua NHD15

850W Seasonic Prime Gold
TD500 Mesh Case

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Shimejii said:

100% check your outlet. I dont think the grounding wire in your outlet is properly working and you may need to get that checked by an electrician as well as the rest of your new place

Is this urgent? Since this has been going on for quite some time is there any chance that my components are now damaged?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, ScorchSC said:

Is this urgent? Since this has been going on for quite some time is there any chance that my components are now damaged?

Id put it as something that would make me probably do a fair amount of testing ASAP because it could easily lead to something shorting out and causing an electrical fire. I dont personally mess with anything like that, precaution over anything else in this regard. i would really make sure your plug is working properly. You could try other outlets and see if its the computer still since you said it didnt have this issue before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Id put it as something that would make me probably do a fair amount of testing ASAP because it could easily lead to something shorting out and causing an electrical fire. I dont personally mess with anything like that, precaution over anything else in this regard. i would really make sure your plug is working properly. You could try other outlets and see if its the computer still since you said it didnt have this issue before.

Alright I'll try that tomorrow, thanks so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScorchSC said:

Is this urgent?

Yes, yes it is. It means there is one less level of safety between you and mains power. This makes electric shock or fire significantly more probable. I wouldn't panic just yet, but at the same time I wouldn't leave power hungry devices like an oven or stovetop unattended.

At the same time, do you get shocked when touching anything else? Maybe it is just a static charge on your body, and IO shield is simply grounded surface that allows you to discharge it easily. If it all started when you put new floor protector under your chair or started to wear wool sweaters, that might be an answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Molot said:

Yes, yes it is. It means there is one less level of safety between you and mains power. This makes electric shock or fire significantly more probable. I wouldn't panic just yet, but at the same time I wouldn't leave power hungry devices like an oven or stovetop unattended.

In terms of my components, is there a good chance that they're damaged right now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Molot said:

At the same time, do you get shocked when touching anything else? Maybe it is just a static charge on your body, and IO shield is simply grounded surface that allows you to discharge it easily. If it all started when you put new floor protector under your chair or started to wear wool sweaters, that might be an answer.

Nope, tried touching metal before touching the I/O shield and I still get shocked. Again I don't think its ESD as it is a continuous shock,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ScorchSC said:

is there a good chance that they're damaged right now?

I don't think so, IO shield, PC case and PSU case are designed to conduct electricity between themselves and the ground wire, and if PSU wasn't able to keep valid relative voltages on your components, it would probably shut down. Still, the one time I had similar issues (in Pentium 1 166MHz time) I stopped using the computer until my father rewired the electrical outlet affected. But PSUs were different back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Molot said:

I don't think so, IO shield, PC case and PSU case are designed to conduct electricity between themselves and the ground wire, and if PSU wasn't able to keep valid relative voltages on your components, it would probably shut down. Still, the one time I had similar issues (in Pentium 1 166MHz time) I stopped using the computer until my father rewired the electrical outlet affected. But PSUs were different back then.

Thanks for this!

Also update, turns out that the electrical outlets in my whole place is not yet earth grounded, and it'll take a while for the whole place to be wired. Since this is the case, I thought of buying a UPS as a temporary measure, will this at all help with the problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ScorchSC said:

Thanks for this!

Also update, turns out that the electrical outlets in my whole place is not yet earth grounded, and it'll take a while for the whole place to be wired. Since this is the case, I thought of buying a UPS as a temporary measure, will this at all help with the problem?

Most of the UPS devices won't help, as they connect your device to mains and only switch to battery power when mains is no longer connected. Most of the laptops would work OK if you will use power brick that doesn't require ground pin - they are isolated from mains in a safe way.

Also note than while your outlets are not grounded, you still shouldn't have any potential on your case, unless some cable or appliance in your house is acting up or something's wrong with your PSU. But that's a bit beyond my knowledge, I'm not an electrician like my father.. Just be careful, OK?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Molot said:

Most of the UPS devices won't help, as they connect your device to mains and only switch to battery power when mains is no longer connected. Most of the laptops would work OK if you will use power brick that doesn't require ground pin - they are isolated from mains in a safe way.

Also note than while your outlets are not grounded, you still shouldn't have any potential on your case, unless some cable or appliance in your house is acting up or something's wrong with your PSU. But that's a bit beyond my knowledge, I'm not an electrician like my father.. Just be careful, OK?

Really thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the help! I'll take note of this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×