Would have been late to the party if everything else wasn't delayed - Onexplayer handheld PC on sale

williamcll

image.png.d507ace66ff47ae85ce3b683658edfe8.png

Baring similarities to pretty much every middle screen handhelds these days. ONEXPLAYER also wants to take a bite in the market.

Quotes

At the handheld's heart is an 11th generation Intel Core i7-1195G7 processor paired with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD in its base configuration. However, there’s also an option to purchase 1TB or 2TB configurations if you need more storage for your games and applications. You’ll want to temper your expectations for gaming at 1080p resolution, however, with the Intel Iris Xe Graphics GPU onboard (1.4 GHz, 96 EUs). Dialing the gaming resolution down to 720p would probably be advisable for more demanding games. The 1.3-pound OneXPlayer Mini is also equipped with dual bumpers, dual linear triggers, dual speakers, and a 10,455 mAh lithium-ion battery. An aluminum heatsink, dual copper heat pipes, and a single fan cool the internal hardware. There are two USB-C ports and a single USB-A port along with the requisite headphone jack for wired connectivity. Wireless communication is taken care of with Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 radios. The base 512GB SKU will set you back $1,039. Stepping up to the 1TB version raises the price to $1,179, while the flagship 2TB option goes for $1,370. These prices include a 17 percent “launch discount” offered by OneXPlayer that is only valid for the next 22 hours. After the period expires, pricing jumps to $1,259, $1,399, and $1,599 respectively.

HAguHsiXCg9awm5dLN6fUG-970-80.jpg.webp

My thoughts

I'll have to pass, nothing stands out compared to the AVA, GPD and Valve's handheld PCs and the price isn't attractive either. 

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/onexplayer-mini-handheld-pc-gaming-console

http://www.onexplayer.com/

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

so it's a knock off GPD win?

why is this getting a news article these things come out of the time just look at the amount ETA PRIME reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ETAPRIME/videos

one scroll down shows at least six of em!

the only interesting choice is valve's offering mainly because it HAS a gpu instead of some kind of shitty integrated graphics.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

People complain about the cost of phones, but they're fine paying $1,600 for this? LOL

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There's something deeply disappointing about companies making handheld PC game systems with just twin stick controls and a touch screen. Makes me immediately lose interest. If the Steam Deck didn't have Steam Controller-ish touchpads I would not have pre-ordered.

... But it does have them, so I'm excited!

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Honestly I would rather have a switch over this any day of the week. It has great games and the games are designed for the device while the same can't be said about this device.

From the point of having good internet connections (100Mbit cable and 200Mbit phone, both completely unlimited), I just don't see the market for these, especially at these prices. Like yeah the current silicon market is though and that raises the prices but even with that. Just spend some money to get some old Android tablet with OK screen and good WiFi and some BT controller, setup Steam Link and there you go, if done right will work also on move and you just need to have your PC powered on at home. There's some extra costs (like the electricity and most of the world the internet) but you can get those a lot with over a grand as the budget. This is something even Steam Deck is leaning on in the long run, the HW is there to allow some local gaming but the long run emphasis is on having a device with which you can play games over the internet (that's why even eMMC memory is a possibility).

Standalone gaming while on move is something but most likely this also it means just couple hours, so you will be limited by that (they do promise 8 hours of "video playback" [translation by Google Translate] but at least I press the X for doubt). You have HW which is OK for the task but couple of year of expected development and you are hardly running the newest titles even at 30FPS without some real magic (or as expected says just that the markets are slow and so probably game requirements won't be rising as expected before all that's going on), while 720p gaming doesn't ask much, you ain't running the most high-end PC HW with excellent cooling to get you a lot of headroom.

Don't take me wrong. I'm not against handheld gaming, I grew up with Game Boy and dropped out of that after 3DS XL. It's just that at those prices there won't be a huge adaptation for the HW which most likely translates to a lot less optimization for this HW compared to a lot cheaper Steam Deck and even then we talk about running PC games on handheld HW. While Game Boys, PSPs, 3DS's and others have been good for years, the reason was that they had special HW that required games to be made for them specially, with these Windows 10/11 handhelds I don't think they will see that much adaptation that game developers would be taking the extra hours to optimize their games for these, they will be done for the general PC market. And I hear already someone say "retro" gaming and I say, it also needs development and optimization, while yes Windows platform means a lot of things will run out of the box it doesn't mean they would run even close perfectly with that HW and trust me, jsut that it runs Windows 10/11 doesn't mean it has completely normal HW and you can just slap anything in it and it will work.

4 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

so it's a knock off GPD win?

why is this getting a news article these things come out of the time just look at the amount ETA PRIME reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ETAPRIME/videos

one scroll down shows at least six of em!

the only interesting choice is valve's offering mainly because it HAS a gpu instead of some kind of shitty integrated graphics.

Jesus had a stroke reading this - now nobody's going to heaven anymore. Hope you are happy.

Punctuation is really important, especially when writing... 

1 hour ago, ouroesa said:

Jesus had a stroke reading this - now nobody's going to heaven anymore. Hope you are happy.

oH iM soRRy That Iwas unable2 hjave good engrish: pleiSe FOURgive mi mostor!

igpu somehow never appealed to me, the 2200G i had was surprisingly good however. 

12 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Still patiently waiting for my steam deck. 

does that have an igpu too? 

2 hours ago, ouroesa said:

actually not really,  also really difficult with a Samsung phone and modern forum software that constantly work against u... 

the reason y txt spk was invented was bc its actually far easier and faster 2 type without really losing any context. 

i would argue long sentences with lots of punctuation r actually far more prone 2 misinterpretation.  = )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

nah it's got an actual GPU in it and not some watered down display card with voodoo acceleration from the 90's

What? I thought It had an igpu similar to some of amds apus. Then again it says the specs and they are similar to some of the apus that AMD have released so I just assumed that it was integrated. Granted not all igpus are equal and I would probably pick amd over Intel if I wanted the more powerful igpu. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

What? I thought It had an igpu similar to some of amds apus. Then again it says the specs and they are similar to some of the apus that AMD have released so I just assumed that it was integrated. Granted not all igpus are equal and I would probably pick amd over Intel if I wanted the more powerful igpu. 

nah actual GPU, it's more integrated like a console but it IS a GPU.

1 hour ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

Uhm, not really, no.

It's a beefed up iGPU, rather than a dedicated GPU.

Steam Deck has 8 RDNA2 CUs at a maximum of 1.6Ghz, and the entire APU, so both CPU and GPU, has a (supposed, maybe tinkering will allow users to raise it?) max TDP of 15W.

Meanwhile, the lowest actual GPU in the 6000 series is the 6500XT with 16 CUs at a maximum turbo of 2.8Ghz and up to 107W power draw for the card alone.

Don't get me wrong, the Steam Deck looks like a fantastic piece of hardware, but don't oversell it - you're still going to be playing pretty much any demanding games at 720p, or 1080p low at best.

3 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

Typically what I imagine as a igpu is one that shares resources with the cpu and is on the same piece of silicon. Also igpu is still a gpu it's just an integrated while a dedicated gpu is just a gpu that had its own resources and is Typically separated from the cpu and is typically connected to the cpu using pcie lanes. 

2 hours ago, Rauten said:

you're still going to be playing pretty much any demanding games at 720p

good thing the steam deck only has an 800p screen then.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

$1000 for this? Is this an early April's fools joke? 😄

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition