Internet intermittently dropping packets/losing speed

Ok so this is a weird one. I've been searching for a solution for over 2 weeks now and I'm stumped. 

**Forgot to add that the upload is almost totally normal, basically no dropping. This is only happening to my download speed somehow**

I have a 300mbps shaw line and I'm connected via WiFi (I can't hardwire it). Normally, using my MSI B450 Carbon AC's built in Wi-Fi adapter, I see around 80-100mbps stable. Lately I've been having an issue where I'll randomly drop a ton of packets or the speed will slow down to a crawl (<100kbps). This issue comes and goes randomly, as well as the duration. Sometimes its 10 seconds, sometimes its an hour. I used to have the same problem on my old gigabyte WiFi card, which went away when I swapped to the new motherboard about 2 years ago, difference is I didn't drop packets before.

I've tried the following:
Cmd prompt ipconfig release/renew/flushdns/registerdns and netsh winsock reset (internet usually returns to normal temporarily, then the problem comes back)
Completely uninstalled and re-installed all relevant drivers (No effect)
Forgot the network, restart, connect again. (Sometimes fixes it temporarily, sometimes not)
Used a VPN in case the ISP was throttling me for torrenting (No effect)

Changed adapter settings including power management (No effect)

Used the windows troubleshooter (lol)

Restarted the router (Didn't notice anything)
Entered my own IP address, added it to the router, then pinged googles servers (I didnt do well in my college networking course, this didnt work at all)

Hardwired into a mesh device (maybe helped slightly, but probably just placebo)

Cannot factory reset the router, but I did restart it via loging into it (Fixed it temporarily, but not for more than 2 minutes)

I have a solid connection, always 3-4 bars stable and I'm using 5G.

Thanks in advance, and yes I made this account to ask this question but I've been lurking for years.

Edited by SupremeFridge
Adding tests I've run

use a wifi scan tool to check, whether there are other networks in yoru area which use the same channel. If so, switch the channel, since it can cause interference.

10 minutes ago, SupremeFridge said:

Ok so this is a weird one. I've been searching for a solution for over 2 weeks now and I'm stumped. 

I have a 300mbps shaw line and I'm connected via WiFi (I can't hardwire it). Normally, using my MSI B450 Carbon AC's built in Wi-Fi adapter, I see around 80-100mbps stable. Lately I've been having an issue where I'll randomly drop a ton of packets or the speed will slow down to a crawl (<100kbps). This issue comes and goes randomly, as well as the duration. Sometimes its 10 seconds, sometimes its an hour. I used to have the same problem on my old gigabyte WiFi card, which went away when I swapped to the new motherboard about 2 years ago, difference is I didn't drop packets before.

I've tried the following:
Cmd prompt ipconfig release/renew/flushdns/registerdns and netsh winsock reset (internet usually returns to normal temporarily, then the problem comes back)
Completely uninstalled and re-installed all relevant drivers (No effect)
Forgot the network, restart, connect again. (Sometimes fixes it temporarily, sometimes not)
Used a VPN in case the ISP was throttling me for torrenting (No effect)

Changed adapter settings including power management (No effect)

Used the windows troubleshooter (lol)

Restarted the router (Didn't notice anything)
Entered my own IP address, added it to the router, then pinged googles servers (I didnt do well in my college networking course, this didnt work at all)

Thanks in advance, and yes I made this account to ask this question but I've been lurking for years.

:::

It is really frustrating when this happens. Have you tried the following?

- Check if you are getting full or all bars WiFi signal

- Reset your router to factory settings

- Connect to the "Fastest Server" option using your trusted VPN

- Forget low bandwidth network and use just 5G or better

20 minutes ago, Devryd said:

use a wifi scan tool to check, whether there are other networks in yoru area which use the same channel. If so, switch the channel, since it can cause interference.

All other devices in the house connect flawlessly.

13 minutes ago, RMTM said:

It is really frustrating when this happens. Have you tried the following?

- Check if you are getting full or all bars WiFi signal

- Reset your router to factory settings

- Connect to the "Fastest Server" option using your trusted VPN

- Forget low bandwidth network and use just 5G or better

Should probably have mentioned I'm on 5G and the internet is shared with the building (8 total people)
Tried some sketchy VPN called hide.me, pretty sure it doesn't work. I don't normally run a VPN.
Full bars on WiFi

6 minutes ago, SupremeFridge said:

All other devices in the house connect flawlessly.

Should probably have mentioned I'm on 5G and the internet is shared with the building (8 total people)
Tried some sketchy VPN called hide.me, pretty sure it doesn't work. I don't normally run a VPN.
Full bars on WiFi

8 Users can be a lot of I/O traffic for a router. Especially if you are in the same band. And I guess you have already reset the router/modem. Might want to consider having your own connected mesh directly from the router since you are on WiFi anyway. Other than that I have no more options for you, mate. Since you can only use WiFi.

15 minutes ago, RMTM said:

8 Users can be a lot of I/O traffic for a router. Especially if you are in the same band. And I guess you have already reset the router/modem. Might want to consider having your own connected mesh directly from the router since you are on WiFi anyway. Other than that I have no more options for you, mate. Since you can only use WiFi.

Sadly enough, I tried meshing. I have an older router that I put into switch mode (basically turns it into a wireless switch that I could hardwire into). Pretty sure it was just placebo because I thought it was slightly better.
Ya 8 users with all their devices is a lot, but like I said, everyone elses devices seem to have flawless internet.

8 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Can you use D LAN?

I've actually never heard of that, I'll look into it. What does it do?

I forgot to add that this only effects my download speeds, my upload is fairly normal

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem you do.  I have a 175Mbps connection and it will randomly slow to a crawl.  In my case, I unplug my USB wifi adapter (ASUS AC68) and plug it in again and that will get me back to full speed.  In addition to the things you have tried, I have:

1) Replaced the wifi adapter (same brand and model).

2) Gone into the device manager for the wifi adapter and tweaked the settings.  I have observed that changing and saving a setting will reset the wifi adapter.

3) Downloaded a wifi monitor and it is seeing no other networks in the area (even though Windows shows other networks).

I have not tried changing the wifi channel yet. I have it set to the default of Auto so the router can manage that.

I am getting to the point of buying a new motherboard on the assumption it may be the USB controller.  I have had a couple of times in the last two weeks where my USB mouse and keyboard have both frozen at the same time.  The only way to unfreeze them is to unplug and replug the wifi adapter.