Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Facebook Marketplace and a bargain?

Wakou
 Share

Hi folks.
I just had interesting conversation on Facebook Marketplace, and I wondered what you would make of it.
I am in the UK, and saw a GTX 1650 for £90.00 (approx $110.00/€100.00)
A fair price, and all seems good..
It is not in a location I could drive to and pick up.
So I sent the "Is this available?" message at 11:50 this morning, and thought no more of it.
At 21:30, I get a "Yes it is"  and so when I checked my messages, at 22:30, I replied..
I asked a few "pertinent" (or perhaps "impertinent") questions..
The pictures were only of the box...
I asked "This IS the card and not just the box?"
She insta-responded with a photo of the card, on some kind of homely soft-furnishings.., with an apology...
The description had mentioned it being working and in good cond. etc...
And so I asked have you recently upgraded?
She replied: " Yes, to an iPhone 12"   (!!!!)
It was getting late, and so I asked her to to call me tomorrow if she was uncomfortable chatting to a random at 23:00.
No response.
Her "profile" is from a different town to where the card is available, but not TOO far.
Dodgy? Fine? Worth a punt?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask for them to show it working. Too dodgy. 

 

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

 

My systems:

Main: 

Spoiler

Xeon e5-2690 v1, HP z620 workstation board/case/800w PSU. EVGA GTX 980 SC, 8x4gb ECC DDR3-1333, 128gb NVME, 240gb SSD, 1tb SSD, 2x2tb HDD, 2x1tb HDD (too many)

Added Sound Blaster Z (2020), PCIe NVME card, USB 3.1 card, and front bay HDD dock

Retro:

Spoiler

Pentium 4 HT 661, GT 730 1gb, 4x1gb DDR2-667, 80gb Spinpoint HDD in a DC7600 SFF board/case. Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound, Trinitron Ultrascan 15 monitor, Altec Lansing PC speakers.

Render farm:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760, Core 2 Quad q9550, 4x2gb DDR2-800, Radeon HD 6350 (Cinema 4D needs OpenGL 4 to run and it isn't GPU rendered so this lets me just see the image), 80gb/500gb Seagate HDDs

Linux/2000s testbench:

Spoiler

Core 2 Quad q9650, Asus board, 2x2gb DDR2-800, GTX 670 2gb, 500gb Seagate HDD, 64gb AliExpress SSD, cheap Rosewill case

NAS:

Spoiler

Gigabyte Atom board, Sugo SG13 case, 2x 2tb HDD, 2x 1tb HDD, 1x 60gb SSD

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Wakou said:

I am in the UK, and saw a GTX 1650 for £90.00 (approx $110.00/€100.00)

You can't buy one of these for less than £160~ on eBay UK. Including the cards at auction. Active listings are £120+

 

That £90 card must be fake.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

You can't buy one of these for less than £160~ on eBay UK. Including the cards at auction. Active listings are £120+

 

That £90 card must be fake.

On FB Marketplace prices are often cheaper. I get used stuff all the time for below eBay and RRP - recently picked up a 10900KF and Z590 board for CAD400 (200GBP or so). Another time three P55 motherboards, an i7 6700K and board and a GTX 1060 for $25. 

 

It happens.

 

Now though, this listing sounds like a scam.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

 

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

 


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all.. I am still "intrigued"  though!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wakou said:

And so I asked have you recently upgraded?
She replied: " Yes, to an iPhone 12"   (!!!!)

aaaand that's a big fat NOPE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because I think folks are generally decent!  And this is literally how I bought my CPU, A mum, selling off her teenaged son's kit, not wanting to allow him to be exposed to "Facebook marketplace "  and the potential horrors therein.
They were fine and kind, (of course!)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s still working now, and yes I’ve upgraded to the iPhone 12. And it’s absolutely fine, I understand you wanting to ask questions, I certainly would too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

On FB Marketplace prices are often cheaper. I get used stuff all the time for below eBay and RRP - recently picked up a 10900KF and Z590 board for CAD400 (200GBP or so). Another time three P55 motherboards, an i7 6700K and board and a GTX 1060 for $25. 

 

It happens.

 

Now though, this listing sounds like a scam.

Yeah I have heard this as well. I think part of it is that alot of people that use Facebook marketplace aren't as savvy when it comes to knowing how much stuff is worth. I mean you see nontech people selling tech related stuff for lower than what you would expect but perhaps they simply went off of how much the gpu originally cost and cut that price by a certain amount. If you did that then the asking price for the gpu is actually not that unreasonable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, danomicar said:

aaaand that's a big fat NOPE

a13 bionic > tu117

just plug n play bro

 

source: trust me bro

Asus ROG G531GT: i7-9750H (PL2 107W), GTX 1650M (1024c, +150/+700MHz),  2x8GB 2666MHz (Samsung/TeamGroup), Micron 512GB M.2 NVMe, Barracuda 1TB 2.5" SSHD, 1920x1080@172Hz IPS, and tons of additional copper

 

Server/Alt: i5-4590@default clk, OEM aluminium cooler, Gigabyte B85M-D3H, MSI R9 280 Gaming, 2x4GB 1600MHz (Kingston Fury Red), Samsung 860 Evo 512GB 2.5", 160GB shared 2.5" HDD, AOC 210S D-sub (1680x1050@60Hz), Asus M32 Office PC case with decent airflow

 

iMac 21.5" (late 2011): i5-2400S, Radeon HD 6750M (MXM), 4x2GB 1333MHz (Samsung/Hynix), Seagate 500GB 3.5" (High Sierra), 1920x1080@60Hz LCD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Wakou said:

Hi folks.
I just had interesting conversation on Facebook Marketplace, and I wondered what you would make of it.
I am in the UK, and saw a GTX 1650 for £90.00 (approx $110.00/€100.00)
A fair price, and all seems good..
It is not in a location I could drive to and pick up.
So I sent the "Is this available?" message at 11:50 this morning, and thought no more of it.
At 21:30, I get a "Yes it is"  and so when I checked my messages, at 22:30, I replied..
I asked a few "pertinent" (or perhaps "impertinent") questions..
The pictures were only of the box...
I asked "This IS the card and not just the box?"
She insta-responded with a photo of the card, on some kind of homely soft-furnishings.., with an apology...
The description had mentioned it being working and in good cond. etc...
And so I asked have you recently upgraded?
She replied: " Yes, to an iPhone 12"   (!!!!)
It was getting late, and so I asked her to to call me tomorrow if she was uncomfortable chatting to a random at 23:00.
No response.
Her "profile" is from a different town to where the card is available, but not TOO far.
Dodgy? Fine? Worth a punt?

 

 

I have lots of experience on the used marked. I find -80% off deals almost every week. 

 

Usually a woman selling tech is kind of a red flag. Its not very common that a fake account was made with a woman pic but actually a man controlling it. 

 

Its clearly that the person controlling the post doesn't know anything about pc's.

 

How to detect?

Try to negotiate the price to an extremely low price, if they accept it too easy its probably a scam.

See how fast they want you to have it and pay them your money.

If they don't want you to pick it up

Reverse search the image on google, and finding it on another site

 

I myself had many good deals, i was scammed once and since then when something was too good to be true i went to get it and tried it out.

 

Hopefully it helps 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×