PSU troubles…

ElementHD

I’ve been running a 3070FE for the last few months with my old school ax860i (this previously allowed me to use a 3090 strix) but recently my computer freezes and drops all fan power and RGB? Is my PSU degrading fast or is it a Corsair problem? 

the green happens when it appears there is a voltage spike aka benchmarking etc.

9CC89217-DD78-419F-B8A7-C2E68D1D2BB5.jpeg

9208A795-2675-48CB-89E3-EA0801E09426.jpeg

ASUS Z490 Gaming Socket 1200

i9-10850K @ 5.8Ghz 

Corsair H150i Platinum

128GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600Mhz 

3 x 2TB WD Black NVMe 

4GB Samsung Evo 960

Asus STRIX 3090 OC

PLZ HELP :  /

i9-10850K @ 5.8Ghz 

Corsair H150i Platinum

3 x 2TB WD Black NVMe 

4GB Samsung Evo 960

Asus STRIX 3090 OC

The word “freeze” always seems to cause problems because a lot of things that people call “freeze”s are often something else.  Does your computer or ap need to be restarted? Or is this a momentary thing like a stutter?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The word “freeze” always seems to cause problems because a lot of things that people call “freeze”s are often something else.  Does your computer or ap need to be restarted? Or is this a momentary thing like a stutter?

no she just decides to disconnect every usb device... 

i9-10850K @ 5.8Ghz 

Corsair H150i Platinum

3 x 2TB WD Black NVMe 

4GB Samsung Evo 960

Asus STRIX 3090 OC

2 hours ago, ElementHD said:

no she just decides to disconnect every usb device... 

So the game stops all usb devices are disconnected and the game keeps going? So the problem is you can’t tell if the thing crashed or not because you can’t manipulate anything. I assume a restart temporarily fixes it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So the game stops all usb devices are disconnected and the game keeps going? So the problem is you can’t tell if the thing crashed or not because you can’t manipulate anything. I assume a restart temporarily fixes it?

So it’s almost like things disconnect for 2/3 secs max and then iCue and USB start working again, I don’t need to restart but it freezes for between 1/5 seconds no high temps all cores under 80c and GPU at 70c max…. 

I’m gonna pop the 3090 strix in tomorrow and see if I have the same issues….

i9-10850K @ 5.8Ghz 

Corsair H150i Platinum

3 x 2TB WD Black NVMe 

4GB Samsung Evo 960

Asus STRIX 3090 OC

1 hour ago, ElementHD said:

So it’s almost like things disconnect for 2/3 secs max and then iCue and USB start working again, I don’t need to restart but it freezes for between 1/5 seconds no high temps all cores under 80c and GPU at 70c max…. 

I’m gonna pop the 3090 strix in tomorrow and see if I have the same issues….

So a stutter. There’s something that interrupts things.  Lot of possibilities for that

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So a stutter. There’s something that interrupts things.  Lot of possibilities for that

Thanks yeah. Although I have a feeling it’s to do with voltage because it only happens under load, I.E heavy usage games or benching. It can’t be ambient temps as the limits on both gpu and cpu are way north of 80c…. 

Might have to order a new PSU but it’s a shame because I love the AX860i it’s been used pretty much none stop for 6/7 years and never struggles before.

i9-10850K @ 5.8Ghz 

Corsair H150i Platinum

3 x 2TB WD Black NVMe 

4GB Samsung Evo 960

Asus STRIX 3090 OC

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly an ax860i model bought new in 2017 which worked fine enough for about two years but sometimes, I now believe, gave problems under load. I remember the corsair fan leds were going wild from time to time and other weird little things. The point is one day out of the blue the pc couldn't boot anymore at all, turned out that the ~250eur ax860i died by itself. I remember reading on some forums that this model which has the 'i', has some delicate components inside that deal with the whole corsair icue thing, and something in those components seems to die rather quickly for many people. Once I changed the PSU, many problems ceased to manifest.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:43 PM, ElementHD said:

Thanks yeah. Although I have a feeling it’s to do with voltage because it only happens under load, I.E heavy usage games or benching. It can’t be ambient temps as the limits on both gpu and cpu are way north of 80c…. 

Might have to order a new PSU but it’s a shame because I love the AX860i it’s been used pretty much none stop for 6/7 years and never struggles before.

That’s one but there are other possibilities as well.  Heavy load means high heat as well for one.  Taking a peek at the logs might also say something.  Or not.  Is that a 510 case?