Question about Intel 12th Gen and Canon EOS R5 Footage

Hello good people! 

I have a quick question about the new 12th Gen Intel CPU's. Aside from gaming i mainly use my PC to edit videos, my R5 camera shoots h.265 10-bit 4:2:2 Videos and neither my current cpu nor graficcard supports hardware decoding of that video format. Now i want to upgrade my cpu. Do all 12th gen CPU's have a decoder for that video format or do i have to get a specific one? Does it need to have Intel UHD graphics or do cpu's without UHD also have the decoder?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with that!

You need one with a igpu to decode the footage, and you may need to enable it in the bios.

I have a r5 too, and I have been just converting to prores to edit the footage, and the prores footages edits very well, and Id say isn't that much more of a hassle editing wise.

Alright, thank you for your help! Does the igpu interfere with my normal graphics card in windows if i activate it in bios? Also thanks for the tip about prores, currently i am creating proxies which also works but bloats the workflow quite a bit.

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

You need one with a igpu to decode the footage, and you may need to enable it in the bios.

I have a r5 too, and I have been just converting to prores to edit the footage, and the prores footages edits very well, and Id say isn't that much more of a hassle editing wise.

what do you use to convert to prores?