Weird power issue, have to unplug PC, Brand new build

spoonycoot

Brand new PC is powering off when attempting to resume from sleep.  When my PC goes to sleep I have to push the power button to get it to wake up.  When I press the power button it powers off.  This problem is intermittent, at times it wakes up correctly.  If it is left in sleep for an extended time that’s when I get this to happen more often.  Secondly, after it does this shutdown from sleep it becomes unresponsive to the power button, I have to either unplug or turn the PSU off then on to get it to turn back on. 

An even more mysterious problem, if I shut the PC off and leave it off for an extended time (2-3days) when I come back to use it it is unresponsive to the power button.  I again have to unplug the power supply from the wall outlet before it will power back on.

The problems persisted with:

Windows 11 and 10

Tried swapping the reset button with the power button on the mobo pin out

Tried two different brand new power supplies

System specs:

Windows 10 pro

MSI Z690 edge wifi ddr4 (latest bios)

GTX 3080

32gb 3200mhz ddr 4, 4x8gb

PSU 1000watt EVGA also tried with 850watt corsair

Seems like it's my motherboard, any suggestions?  I'm running out of hair to pull out!

Thanks!

Sounds like a bad ground and/or power strip. Power strips with surge protection degrade over time and can start dumping hot voltage onto the ground line.

I tried a different power strip with the same result.  I can try a third one.

4 minutes ago, spoonycoot said:

I tried a different power strip with the same result.  I can try a third one.

Are there a lot of HVAC units where you live? If so, are any of them poorly maintained? At my previous residence there was a guy who had a HVAC which literally threw off sparks when starting up. He and the local authorities were fine with it for some reason. It wreaked havoc on my PC until I bought a line-interactive UPS.

Nothing crazy like that. I'm in a house without other issues.  I used a different outlet and a different surge protector(third one) so we'll see.