Rumored changes to iPhone 14 include titanium chassis and 48 megapixel camera

Alder Lake

Y'all are gonna hate me, but I like the look of the notch.

Besides, all the rumors said these changes were coming in the iPhone 13...

They never came.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

Honestly I only care about the notch/pinhole only if its not hidden well. Also helps that you can put extra info up there without taking up content space (i guess thats what you could call it)

✨FNIGE✨

I really hope they finally move the iPhone over to USB C. They've done it with everything else. I know they use the "existing accessory ecosystem" as an excuse, but really Apple, just see it as a way to make them pay for new ones. The lightening port is one of the last holdouts I have for not trying an iPhone. 

I think they've nailed pretty much every other aspect of the phone at this point. Battery life is now on point, and rumor has it they're finally upping the MP count on their sensors. Maybe they'll even start adding things like IR emitters. 

Can't wait for them to claim they're the first to make a titanium phone 🙄

12 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

I'm gonna say it.

The notch is better than a punchhole.

Why? To waste more space? 

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I'm gonna say it too, the notch everyone is whining so hard over is not even that annoying. It's just there and I happen to like FaceID so it has a purpose there. It's not just because someone copied someone, you know, like all the Android phone makers when they copied iPhone X... Ultimately, I don't care for as long as they don't take away FaceID for it. That would be really stupid.

Copied the iPhone x how? The iphone wasn't even the originator of the notch. 

10 hours ago, poochyena said:

both are equally as bad I think. Just put a full bar there that takes up only .5 cm

You'd have to match it at the bottom to make the phone have proper symmetry. 

7 hours ago, poochyena said:

.5cm of content space. I rather have a clean looking phone and lose a non-noticeable amount of space than have a pimple in the top middle of my screen.

I'd notice the extra wasted phone height for sure. If it's implemented nicely, with black surrounding it, you don't even notice it's there. Have you ever tried a phone with a punch hole camera for more than a couple of days? 

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

As if the iPhone needed to be more expensive....

It actually doesn't have to increase that much in price, if at all. I mean, we know it will, but a phone with titanium isn't really that much more to produce. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

we just think it looks cleaner

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

49 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You'd have to match it at the bottom to make the phone have proper symmetry. 

perfect. Makes holding the phone easier.

51 minutes ago, dizmo said:

wasted phone height

but its not wasted. There is tech underneath the screen, its not an empty void. Phones are 6 inches tall these days, i'm not losing out on anything by having a .5cm shorter display.

54 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Have you ever tried a phone with a punch hole camera for more than a couple of days? 

No. I have no interested in phones with a notch or hole punch. I will never buy a bezel-less phone. Like, how can you look at a phone like this and think "There is so much wasted phone height!"

Spoiler

!" 61CQGGyJpaS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

27 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

But if the screen and back is not also titanium, than what's the point? If people gonna use a case anyway, what's the point?

money, that's why

56 minutes ago, dizmo said:

To me, at least, the notch looks cleaner than a punch-hole. A punch-hole is a dot in the middle of your display that isn't easily made hidden by just blacking out the small areas of screen next to it, like you can with a notch.

That isn't to say the notch is good (I don't like it though that's mainly because so far no notched iPhones have had Touch ID) but, to me, notch > punch-hole.

elephants

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

It actually doesn't have to increase that much in price, if at all. I mean, we know it will, but a phone with titanium isn't really that much more to produce. 

This is Apple we're talking about, they don't do "upgrades" anywhere near the actual cost of the parts. 

Look at their ssd and ram upgrades in their current products. The cost of the upgrade is 300-400%% the cost the entire part to buy it outright.

2tb ssd upgrade on the on any of their products that have 512as the base storage is $900aud

And yet I can buy an nvme 2tb drive for $329aud.

So somehow they are charging such a significant amount more than the actual price of the storage and what ever the "base" option was doesn't even appear to be anything close to a "credit" on the upgrades.

For the cost of adding 8 additonal GB of ram, you can buy a pretty high end 32GB kit for a normal PC

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If you're going to go punch hole at least place it in the corner, no reason for it to be in the middle

But honestly, notch, teardrop, punch hole, all suck compared to LG's second screen on the V10

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Sorry if it sounds like I am attacking your post, but is this really "new news"? We had learned about these rumors a while ago, and even the latest report/echo of iPhone 14 was a few days ago with Mark Gurman on the MacRumors podcast. The first glimpse of the design was something we saw BEFORE the iPhone 13 announcement, and many details, such as there not being a new mini model, were reported much longer ago than even September.

Again, if it sounds like I am attacking the post, I just want to clarify that I don't have any mean intentions. I am just questioning if this should be in "Tech News", or simply put in some discussion about iPhones - because this isn't new news anymore.

12 hours ago, huilun02 said:

But if the screen and back is not also titanium, than what's the point? If people gonna use a case anyway, what's the point?

I don't think you're going to ever see a titanium screen, but besides that...

It's pretty simple: titanium is a premium metal, but it's lighter than steel. The iPhone 14 Pro/Pro Max could weigh considerably less than the outgoing models. And that's something you can appreciate even if you have a case on your phone.

15 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Titanium has the toughness of stainless steel and lightness of aluminium. That's the point. Aluminium dents and scratches super easily, but is light. Stainless steel is very hard to dent and scratch, but is heavy. Titanium has best of both.

18 hours ago, Arika S said:

For the cost of adding 8 additonal GB of ram, you can buy a pretty high end 32GB kit for a normal PC

On memory to be fair Appel is using LPDDR4x and LPDDR5 on there current models that means upgrading from 8GB to 16GB means going from 4GB to 8GB dies this is not the cheap add another stick of DDR4 memory to your machine. A single 8GB die LPDDR4x can cost $80+ (yes apple buy in bulk but with current supply situation buying in bulk and needing to ensure you get enough on time means you pay more not less).  The pricing from 4GB dies to 8GB dies is not Linear I expect 4GB dies likely cost 10% of the price of an 8GB die. 

32 minutes ago, hishnash said:

On memory to be fair Appel is using LPDDR4x and LPDDR5 on there current models that means upgrading from 8GB to 16GB means going from 4GB to 8GB dies this is not the cheap add another stick of DDR4 memory to your machine. A single 8GB die LPDDR4x can cost $80+ (yes apple buy in bulk but with current supply situation buying in bulk and needing to ensure you get enough on time means you pay more not less).  The pricing from 4GB dies to 8GB dies is not Linear I expect 4GB dies likely cost 10% of the price of an 8GB die. 

That's not an excuse at all. Then lets use DDR5, Apple are charging for an additional 8GB with of DDR5 dies for same price as an entire 16GB DDR5 stick for desktop.

(yes apple buy in bulk but with current supply situation buying in bulk and needing to ensure you get enough on time means you pay more not less)

And you think Apple is the only one that is buying dies in bulk? Pretty sure Crucial, Corsair, Kingston etc also need supply to make their own modules. So unless some numbers can be provided to show that LPDDR4x or LPDDR5 is somehow 2x the cost of DDR5 to manufacture, I refuse to believe that Apple are charging near cost price or equivalent margins of manufacturing costs given their bloated prices for other such upgrades because I've never seen anything to the contrary.

Given they are charge the same price for the same memory upgrade in their intel mac mini as they do for the M1 mac mini clearly shows that it has absolutely nothing to do with their costs

Intel Mini

image.png.0a2d57c6b4dbe0997f021eb3d095c8aa.png

seriously, $1500aud for 64Gb of 2666..... i would have to buy 224GB of DDR4 2666 stick to get anything close to that price

M1 Mini

image.png.2999a9f8bc1d8d3d3a7b1fde8362885d.png

Remember this is the same company that i can buy a $8499 monitor that I cannot realistically use unless I spend either another $1699 on a fucking stand or $349 for a bullshit proprietary VESA adapter. For that cost it had BETTER come with the freaking adapter for free at LEAST. 

And lets not forget the infamous $600aud caster wheels for the Mac Pro.....

This is why I have a tough time believing anything Apple says or it's fans say when it comes to their costs, it's just so far out of the realms of reasonability that it's venturing into absolute fantasy

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

That's not an excuse at all. Then lets use DDR5, Apple are charging for an additional 8GB with of DDR5 dies for same price as an entire 16GB DDR5 stick for desktop.

So the M1 uses LPDDR4x and the M1 Pro/Max use LPDRR4 these are not at all the same as DDR5 in pricing! (much much more costly).

So unless some numbers can be provided to show that LPDDR4x or LPDDR5 is somehow 2x the cost of DDR5 to manufacture,

LPDDR4 and LPDDR5 is easily 2x the price of regular DDR dies. LPDDR is produced on a much newer node due to the much much lower power requirements and the much much higher bandwidth and switching frequency. the M1 Max with 4 dies of LPDDR5 provides more bandwidth than 12 dims of DDR4 !!! The cost of making this memory is much much higher than the power hungry DDR4 and DDR5 desktop dims. And since it is made on a much newer node is under much more pressure, LPDDR5 and LPDDR4x is made not he same node as GDDR6 and GDDR6x and these dies individually provide more bandwidth than a GDDR die so a quite a bit more complex (likely with much worse yields). 

Given they are charge the same price for the same memory upgrade in their intel mac mini as they do for the M1 mac mini clearly shows that it has absolutely nothing to do with their costs

I clearly indulged with request to the M1 lines and not the older ones. Apple is very consistent at maintaining ~35% profit margin across all of thier products (much lower than MS or Nvidia that operate at the 60%+ margin). 

On 1/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, Zmimgo said:

Sorry if it sounds like I am attacking your post, but is this really "new news"? We had learned about these rumors a while ago, and even the latest report/echo of iPhone 14 was a few days ago with Mark Gurman on the MacRumors podcast. The first glimpse of the design was something we saw BEFORE the iPhone 13 announcement, and many details, such as there not being a new mini model, were reported much longer ago than even September.

Again, if it sounds like I am attacking the post, I just want to clarify that I don't have any mean intentions. I am just questioning if this should be in "Tech News", or simply put in some discussion about iPhones - because this isn't new news anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it was news to me, if it's not news to you, then I guess that's just too bad, nobody's forcing you to read every post

2 words: ENOUGH CAMERAS.

Every year it's always about cameras.

Why not add more budget to the CPU department instead of the camera department so we can one day play PC games on it XD

Maybe even VR XD