My new GTX770 is bending, is that normal?

LarsReviews
Go to solution Solved by Rorgash,

yes

So I installed my Asus GTX 770 today and I do not like that is bending. Is that normal?

2014-04-16+00.00.57.jpg

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Yes it is, my friend had the same problem.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

No, that is not normal... If I was you I would give it some more support on the right side. It's not really bending, it looks to me like the right side is just sloping down too much.

You never know, that card has some weight to it.

Either way, I would definitely give it more support on the right. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Yes this is normal but if you want to hold it up a bit better you can route your pcie power cabled through the same hole as your 24pin and plug them into gpu and pull them tight and it will hold that side up.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Yeah.. I tried pushing some cables around in one of my older rigs to try to keep the GPU propped up, but it still sags quite a bit.. They all do that..

Edit: it never hurts to make sure that the GPU is properly seated in its slot and that the screws are tightened sufficiently..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

No, that is not normal... If I was you I would give it some more support on the right side. It's not really bending, it looks to me like the right side is just sloping down too much.

You never know, that card has some weight to it.

Either way, I would definitely give it more support on the right. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

The right side is all the way down.

I will work something out with some twist ties and the PCI-E power I guess. I just got worried that something is wrong.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

That's totally normal, it is not very good for the card but there isn't much you can do about it. Just don't wiggle your case around too much and it should be fine.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

The right side is all the way down.

I will work something out with some twist ties and the PCI-E power I guess. I just got worried that something is wrong.

Nope, nothing is particularly wrong with your card. It seems normal on that card and it accentuates on some motherboards more than others.

So on that note, congratulations.. You're a winner!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Recommend you wire your 6/8pins through the back having them pull the card up.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Its normal, You can try putting a piece of tubing or something under the DVi Port and sometimes that will make it look straight, or you can put something under it but your card most likely is not sagging as it has a backplate on it.

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

You should see my R9-290 with a 1KG Aftermarket cooler on it (It doesn't have braces to keep it straight like the stock) it has atleast a 5-10* bend on it, I wouldn't worry about it. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

It's OK.. 

Edit: No I'm dead serious...

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Its fine, pretty much all beefy GPUs have GPU sag. As long as it doesn't do this to your PCIE slot its fine.

What I tend to do is route my PCIE power cables as high as possible via the cable management holes so it pulls the other end of the card up so it balances the droop.

Damaged_Falcon_NW_610x406.jpg

§ ragedev.net §

I had a GTX 470 that warped and it ran fine, but it was a Gigabyte "ultra durable" card so maybe that made a difference? I'm not sure if it warped through heat or just the weight of the heat-sink but it didn't seem to make any difference to its performance. 

If it bothers you that much, maybe lash the power cables to your case with cable ties, as suggested above, to give it more support.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

It's very normal. It's called GPU sag and triple slot cards suffer from it the worst. It shouldn't have any seriously adverse affects on your GPU, but I would route the GPU power cables higher up if you can just to pull the right side of the card up slightly. My Hd 7950 is a triple slot card, and originally I had the same problem. I found that there is usually enough support built into the card and all I had to do to solve the problem was tighten the PCI-e thumb screws a little more to ensure it was properly seated at the back of the case.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I have the gigabyte gtx 770 windforce and my card is longer than yours mine is around  11.5 Inches and does not bend but that does not seem normal. 

Its fine, pretty much all beefy GPUs have GPU sag. As long as it doesn't do this to your PCIE slot its fine.

What I tend to do is route my PCIE power cables as high as possible via the cable management holes so it pulls the other end of the card up so it balances the droop.

How is this even possible short of trying? Dropping an absurdly large aftermarket CPU cooler on your GPU?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

This will give me nightmares.

I now used some twist ties on the power cable, but it isn't that great. Tomorrow I will try to move the power cable. The card itself is running great, I got it to 1250 mhz and with 1260 Thief crashes.But I didn't touch the voltage. Also sometimes Thief uses 2gb of vram and then it stutters. From what I read so far, ssms or what ever it is called is causing the issue. 

oh god i cringed at that.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

• 6 months later...

I never posted my ghetto solution against the bending. 

That looks fairly normal

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

#bendgpu

I have no idea what I am talking about.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

I have a GTX 770 with an EK-FC770 waterblock, and it sags a little at the right side. As long as it doesn't bend TOO much and affect the PCI-e slot, you should be fine.

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x