Nvidia tried so hard to stop this

BellLMG
1 minute ago, JamesStringer said:

That's how it should look, you don't actually get an NVIDIA driver on the VM, instead you get a Microsoft driver that is kind of like a "symbolic link" to the NVIDIA driver/hardware on the host.  

Oh, okay, hm well I will try it. It doesn't seem...that snappy. I will play with it and see how it goes tho, thank you.

14 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Why did you not do this on Linux?  Not only have you been able to do this for several years the installation are much easier.

If you are a Win11 or Win10 user, this project takes approx 30 minutes and doesn't require you to replace your bare metal Windows OS with Linux.  If you want your bare metal OS as Windows 10/11, this is one of the best ways to also have GPU enabled VMs.

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If GPU prices were to remain permanently high, or climb even higher, this concept can be quite useful for arcades or cyber cafes.

yeah, and if one can set it to 30 or 60 fps limit. and settings that match. Not sure how they deal with VRAM or if it acts just like a regular system.

I've tried two different ISO files and cant get rid of the "Failed to create VHDX, stopping script" error

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

yeah, and if one can set it to 30 or 60 fps limit. and settings that match. Not sure how they deal with VRAM or if it acts just like a regular system.

A 60 fps limit with a modest undervolt should reign in heat and power consumption, while allowing good performance in e-sports titles.

However, if it's only e-sports titles we're able to reach, we're in competition with newer iGPUs which can also easily play current e-sports titles as well. I'd have liked to have seen more intensive titles as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A 60 fps limit with a modest undervolt should reign in heat and power consumption, while allowing good performance in e-sports titles.

However, if it's only e-sports titles we're able to reach, we're in competition with newer iGPUs which can also easily play current e-sports titles as well. I'd have liked to have seen more intensive titles as well.

also check dual GPU support, but I guess it might not be a thing, for the extra VRAM or users. or if storage will become bottlenecked or if that can be split too?

So I got everything up and running perfectly! However; the only thing I'm running into is being able to play games in stretched resolutions.

Since I don't have access to NVIDIA control panel, since this VM like technically doesn't have a dedicated GPU or whatever, is there anyway to resolve this issue?

Fyi replied  to the GPUP thread over at Level1 forum on how to use an actual HDMI output, i used an external usb GPU dongle and passed that „usb device“ trough to the gaming VM and set the shared gpu as power gpu and the usb gpu as output.

WAVLINK USB 3.0 zu HDMI Adapter Slim Externe Video Karte Display Monitor unterstützt 2048 × 1152 Auflösung mit Audio Port für Windows 10/8/7/XP – Schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B076SX73LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_4QXE9R933V76P2M30DBM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

voila shared via HDMI no Streaming service needed.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

30 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

And one of the REALLY good advantages to run it on Linus is that you can connect multiple peripherals so you can actually use the same computer.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while so that on the occasion that I want to game with my wife we don't need a full second system.

I'm interested in thoughts around going down this method or throwing in the GTX 970 I had left out to potentially throw in a eGPU case (the other alternative solution for gaming solutions).

Given that I mostly won't be running the VM/second gaming machine would sharing my 2070 Super be better in terms of power usage or will the 970 not really use anything, plugged in but doing nothing?

@LinusTechDoes this work with AMD GPUs, like the RX 6000 series? Don't know if I can be bothered to test it but I'd love to know. Might be a practical use to all the VRAM on their cards

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@LinusTechDoes this work with AMD GPUs, like the RX 6000 series? Don't know if I can be bothered to test it but I'd love to know. Might be a practical use to all the VRAM on their cards

Yes it will work with amd but i dont know if the script will do the process for you. 

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

43 minutes ago, leadeater said:

yes it will work with 5000 and 6000 AMD cards except for the 6500XT which has no hardware video encoder.  I have a 5700XT and it works great with the script.

I'm running into a situation where I've essentially run out of Displayport ports.

I have a 2080 Ti driving two 3840x2160 monitors, plus a 1920x1080 Huion 16" drawing tablet. That maxes out my GPU's physical slots, but I'd also like to use a Looking Glass Factory 15 hologram display and my VR headset.

It seems like I could use the RasPi 4 that's onboard the LGF display to connect to the Parsec client, right? And I could use a Displayport on my Framework laptop to plugin my VR headset.

This would all be a tall order - especially with the VR setup - except that there's only one of me, and I can't do three things at the same time. Mostly, I just want to be able to switch between work and play "modes" without having to physically patch cables.

Assuming that I can get everything on the same wired subnet, do you see any specific gotchas, @JamesStringer? For example, any grief wrt using Parsec from a Pi 4? Or, weird non-standard VR resolutions?

where can I find the VHDX file or atleast start the VM again? 

my question is can this type of solution be also used in order to have for example 4 people streaming from the same pc at the same time? to how many sites could they stream simultaneously? twitch and youtube at the same time? at what resolutions and frame rates? 1080p 60 fps? pls pls i hope i can get info on this im super curious.

10 hours ago, BellLMG said:

Is this the solution to the chip shortage? Using Windows paravirtualization and a some custom scripts makes sharing your GPU power easier than ever.

Thanks to NZXT for sponsoring this video! Get your custom PC built  with NZXT BLD at: https://nzxt.co/LinusBLD0122

Hi everyone, I would like my son to be able to play at 4k60hz from the living room while I play in another room on my host PC, which should be more than capable of doing this.

I need to understand a few things first.

My host PC build has a Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and RTX3090 GPU. 

We have a Chromebook that I believe I could install Parsec on and use an Xbox Wireless controller (via an Xbox wireless dongle), then hook the laptop up to the TV. The laptop could run via ethernet on the same network as the host PC. The Chromebook is actually an older Windows laptop, so I could reinstall Windows on it if it would be easier.

On the host PC, I have two of my GPU's DisplayPort ports and the HDMI port already used, so there's only 1 free DisplayPort port. Do I understand correctly that I would need to find a DisplayPort dummy plug capable of 4k60hz? So far, the only ones I have been able to find for DP are 4k17hz.

I would greatly appreciate help making sure this would work. My son would be stoked about being able to play Minecraft with RTX texture packs with me.

Not sure if anyone knows how to deal with my problem, but when I run my VM for the first time the resolution is fine, but once I restart it the VM becomes locked at 1024x768 with no way to change it.

INFO   : Opening ISO Win11_English_x64v1.iso...
INFO   : Looking for H:\sources\install.wim...
INFO   : Looking for the requested Windows image in the WIM file
INFO   : Image 6 selected (Professional)...
INFO   : Creating sparse disk...
ERROR  : Exception calling "CreateSparseDisk" with "4" argument(s): "The system cannot find the path specified"
INFO   : Log folder is C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\Convert-WindowsImage\b780249a-d57e-46be-8c8d-d8198802bbff
INFO   : Closing Windows image...
INFO   : Closing ISO...
INFO   : Done.
Failed to create VHDX, stopping script

any idea how to solve this error?

edit: turns out that the problem is Hyper-V services not turning on, I tried turning it on but it always turns back off after the restart, any help with that?

Edited by ManDazi

So, uhh. I don't want to sound rude but wouldn't the trouble shooting question on this thread be counter-productive to the actual discussion of the Video?

Wouldn't it be better to have a seperate thread for these issues?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

How can I change the VMs resolution? It was 1080p to start but now everytime I start it up it's stuck in 1024x768

Edit: Hyper-V Settings > Enable Enhanced Session Mode Policy worked for me.

Edit: Actually it's not quite working with parsec.... any ideas?

6 hours ago, leastbad said:

I'm running into a situation where I've essentially run out of Displayport ports.

2 hours ago, Eirrann said:

Do I understand correctly that I would need to find a DisplayPort dummy plug capable of 4k60hz?

You can get Parsec working within the VM using a USB monitor virtual driver if you don't have a spare display-out port with a secondary monitor or hardware dongle.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM