Making your own monitor from salvaged macbook pro retina parts

hawaiims

Here's the deal, I'm looking to make an external monitor that I can mount to a PC case or a wall using a spare 2012 15" macbook pro display assembly.

Before you tell me to just get a cheap Korean panel, it would cost me a lot less to do this and I want a small high res screen, not a heavy 27" screen that's impossible to backpack. I already have a full 2880x1800 15" display from the macbook pro with the full assembly (backlight and all) so now I just need to get what I suppose is some sort of controller board with an HDMI or DVI port.

I have tried googling but to no avail. I know it is possible to turn a laptop screen into a monitor by buying some sort of controller board, but the articles I found were antiquated and I'm not sure it would work for that mbpR display.

Please guide me in the right direction, I would also be interested in buying one of those ipad 9.7" retina displays off ebay and using them as external monitors. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

If someone gave you guidance, will you start a build log on it or something? I'm pretty interested to see what you are going to do. Sounds like a monitor on the side panel or something.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I was thinking of this or the ipad screen for my itx build. When tek syndicate showed off their ipad one running off displayport it got me super intrigued.

Kinda related: Would it be possible to tile ipad screens over a wall and have them all work as one touch screen display?

Kinda related: Would it be possible to tile ipad screens over a wall and have them all work as one touch screen display?

Probably. Not going to find a DIY kit for that though.

ipad screens out of the ipad dont do touch sadly

I think he meant if you had the touch panel too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

ipad screens out of the ipad dont do touch sadly

Probably. Not going to find a DIY kit for that though.

I think he meant if you had the touch panel too.

Yeah with the touch part too.

If someone gave you guidance, will you start a build log on it or something? I'm pretty interested to see what you are going to do. Sounds like a monitor on the side panel or something.

I'd gladly do a build log, but first I would need to know how to do it and buy the appropriate parts haha

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

You want to get a lcd controller board that is compatible with your lcd/ips screen. you will need to google the screen model 

• 1 year later...

@hawaiims 

I'd gladly do a build log, but first I would need to know how to do it and buy the appropriate parts haha

Have you gotten any further in the process? I've been looking to do the same. Portable screens/monitors that are out just don't have the quality of the macbook screens. And, that's what I'd like to do. Turn my old macbook into a portable screen. I've googled and all. And, found on ebay that they sell LCD Controller Boards to reuse laptop displays. Kick is you have to disassemble the screen down to the panel and collect the model number of the panel. Giving it to the seller of the Controller Boards so they can send the right board to you. I haven't gotten to the disassembling point. So, haven't ordered the controller board. Wanted to know your status with it. Because I was unsure if they sold boards that work with the macbook, as well. . . if they actually do work, it'd be great. . . .then I'd be looking into creating some kind of case or housing for the controller boards. So, its protected, can't be damaged and I don't have to connect and reconnect things while I'm traveling. . . please help!

• 11 months later...