Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
2 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Well I *did* say that the two anime were similar at the start, but that they differ after that initial run of episodes :)

So according to you that makes it worth the watch of 50 ish episodes that are so similar? 

2 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Story changes after few episodes. 11? if I recall.

Really? How so? I just don't want to waste my time. 

Just now, IAmLamp said:

So according to you that makes it worth the watch of 50 ish episodes that are so similar? 

The *initial* episodes are similar. Not 50 of them. If it bothers you that much, skip ahead until you see stuff you don't recognize.

1 minute ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

The *initial* episodes are similar. Not 50 of them. If it bothers you that much, skip ahead until you see stuff you don't recognize.

I haven't seen FMA, but as far as I know you can basically skip 10 episodes and start watching from there.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Just now, JuztBe said:

I haven't seen FMA, but as far as I know you can basically skip 10 episodes and start watching from there.

I'd say watch the first one, then skim through and watch just the bits that interest you until the episode where the OP changes (ep13?)

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ah.  Nice.  Does Crunchyroll have it or somewhere else?

I forget, how old are you?        Every time I see someone use slang that idk it makes me feel so much older than I really am. lol ? (29)

Many points for using the word adorable.  It's a nice and happy word.  The world needs more things it applies to.

Yeah it's on Crunchyroll.

I'm 20 though my 25 year old brother uses similar terms...

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

6 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Yeah it's on Crunchyroll.

I'm 20 though my 25 year old brother uses similar terms...

Awesome.  I've been meaning to use Crunchyroll more since I had gotten a Roku as a Christmas present this year so having more things to watch like this will be nice.  

Sorry.  I didn't mean you saying stuff like that was bad.  

It just makes me feel old because I'm not familiar with more current slang terms.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Sorry.  I didn't mean you saying stuff like that was bad.  

It just makes me feel old because I'm not familiar with more current slang terms.  

It's fine, I didn't take it that way. I just think it's funny that my older brother uses terms like that.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Is Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica worth watching? 

6 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Is Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica worth watching? 

Save your eyes the pain and look at the Sun for 25 mins/day.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Save your eyes the pain and look at the Sun for 25 mins/day.

It's that horrible? 

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

It's that horrible? 

YMMV, but I watched it about 4 months ago with my wife (her series choice that time) and I was like...

Image result for bernie sesame street

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

YMMV, but I watched it about 4 months ago with my wife (her series choice that time) and I was like...\

What was so bad about it for yah? 

Just now, IAmLamp said:

What was so bad about it for yah? 

I find some mahou shoujo (magical girl) anime a little too awkward for my tastes. The comedy is good and, if you can muster past the magic scenes, the story is a good one as well. It overall felt more like it tried two different views in one show with one flashy and the other being earthy/slice-of-life. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, IAmLamp said:

It's that horrible? 

Nah. Less experienced viewers consider it amazing, because it's full of Shaft-isms, children in dramatic situations, and the kind of faux-depth that most viewers like. Just don't fall for all the hype about it, and you'll be fine. It's not bad, it's just a bit weird, with stuff that evokes Pink Floyd's The Wall, and those fat-faced anime characters that not everyone likes. Don't expect to like the movies if you like the series, and vice-versa - most people who enjoy one a lot dislike the other, for some reason.

I said to watch it right after i forgot about the first few but brother hood is my favorite of all time. Brotherhood follows the manga since was slower than the anime and they released brotherhood to follow the manga. I think it is a much better story.

6 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Nah. Less experienced viewers consider it amazing, because it's full of Shaft-isms, children in dramatic situations, and the kind of faux-depth that most viewers like. Just don't fall for all the hype about it, and you'll be fine. It's not bad, it's just a bit weird, with stuff that evokes Pink Floyd's The Wall, and those fat-faced anime characters that not everyone likes. Don't expect to like the movies if you like the series, and vice-versa - most people who enjoy one a lot dislike the other, for some reason.

I had fun with that one, just because I saw the 3rd movie before anything else and was like "what the fuck is happening anymore?".

@IAmLamp, its been a while since I've seen it, but it was entertaining. Nothing awful about it or anything, the only problem people really seem to have with it really is just the hype behind it.

speaking of the hype behind it, at an anime convention I went to (more like my sister dragged me to), I went to a panel about madoka. the dude who ran it is pretty much the reason I don't like a lot of over analyzers. he was going on and on and on about this irrelevant stuff and about how its so deep and then ended up at nihilism or something. Bitch, its just an anime. fuck off.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

9 minutes ago, Tr3vor said:

the hype

over analyzers

This. People just wouldn't shut up about how original, creative and thought-provoking it is when it's really not; it's just a decent repackaging of classic junk into a fairly solid popcorn anime. The way some people talk about the thing made me feel sad. It was like listening to people who had never sought anything stimulating in their preferred medium of entertainment before. Basically the same thing as with those people who saw the Matrix and thought it was deep.

2 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

This. People just wouldn't shut up about how original, creative and thought-provoking it is when it's really not; it's just a decent repackaging of classic junk into a fairly solid popcorn anime. The way some people talk about the thing made me feel sad. It was like listening to people who had never sought anything stimulating in their preferred medium of entertainment before. Basically the same thing as with those people who saw the Matrix and thought it was deep.

I'm not smart enough to really identify when something is deep or not. I only know when something is shit or not ('s why my best rating for something is typically "alright"). But I also know when someone is talking complete shit.

Best TAS timestamp ahead:

Old shit no one cares about but me.

15 minutes ago, Tr3vor said:

I'm not smart enough to really identify when something is deep or not.

But I also know when someone is talking complete shit.

Well yeah, you don't need to be "smart" to know when your inner bullshit detector is going off, do you?

That's one of the clearest signs to me whether a show is actually trying to entertain you, or is just trying to distract you enough to let you entertain yourself. If the show knows its limits and tries to not set off your BS detector, or at least revels in the BS for the sake of entertaining you, then I'm a lot kinder to it. When my BS detector is going off and it feels unearned (or worse: like I'm being asked to make my own entertainment) then I get harsh.

2 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Well yeah, you don't need to be "smart" to know when your inner bullshit detector is going off, do you?

That's one of the clearest signs to me whether a show is actually trying to entertain you, or is just trying to distract you enough to let you entertain yourself. If the show knows its limits and tries to not set off your BS detector, or at least revels in the BS for the sake of entertaining you, then I'm a lot kinder to it. When my BS detector is going off and it feels unearned (or worse: like I'm being asked to make my own entertainment) then I get harsh.

I think I've told you this before, but you are extremely pretentious, you know that right?

"Less experienced viewers consider it amazing".

"faux-depth"

Dial it down dude. You sound like a 14 year old trying to judge modern art. It's making me cringe.

10 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

Argue over anime, that makes you look mature.

I assume that was directed at me.

I am not arguing over anime. I am telling someone who calls others "less experienced" for liking something to turn it down a notch.

He likes to talk about "faux depth" and "try-hard", but his posts seems as shallow and try-hard as the shows he criticize.

On 2/9/2017 at 8:43 PM, IAmLamp said:

Really? How so? I just don't want to waste my time. 

Iirc, the change is after episode 6/7, and after that they are worlds apart, both are worth watching but Brotherhood is better. Isn't even ep. 1 different where they chase that guy who escaped prison or something?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 2/11/2017 at 4:00 AM, LAwLz said:

I think I've told you this before, but you are extremely pretentious, you know that right?

"Less experienced viewers consider it amazing".

"faux-depth"

Dial it down dude. You sound like a 14 year old trying to judge modern art. It's making me cringe.

The word you're looking for is more along the lines of "asshole", not "pretentious". Yes, I am an asshole. No, I'm not doing this because I'm trying to impress anyone with my pointless opinions about our silly cartoons.

Edit:

On 2/11/2017 at 4:40 AM, LAwLz said:

He likes to talk about "faux depth" and "try-hard", but his posts seems as shallow and try-hard as the shows he criticize.

Frankly my posts *should* annoy you if you want a more detailed analysis or full-blown review or something, because they're only intended to be my basic impressions. They're far too short for anything more than a shallow criticism. But if people want something more rigorous, I'm open to it.