While Gaming for about 10 Mins My Game Freezes and Locks up the Screen

xCOBRA13x

As my title states, I have been struggling with the issue of my games freezing after ten or so minutes of "gaming." There are some cases where games seem to be fine and will play for 4-8 hours, but others not so much, and cant game....

Here are my specs; PSU: Corsair RM 850x 80 Gold, MOBO: MSI MEG Z390 ACE, RAM: Corsair RGB Pro (4x8) 32GB 3200, CPU: i9 9900k, GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2080Ti OC, STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 960 Evo NVME, OS: Windows 10 pro. No Overclocks. Updated to newest bios. Built my pc 2019 March. 2 years and 9 months ago is when it was built.

Average Temps;  Idle CPU: 32C, GPU: 35C    Under 100% Load CPU: 76C, GPU: 77C

So the problems have been occurring for the past 3 weeks. I became so frustrated that I resorted to a complete restore of my PC. After the restore I downloaded all of the necessary drivers for my PC, CPU and GPU. I did not previously own. I hopped on to play with a friend on ESO. My game kept freezing after ten mins or so. My screen was stuck, i could hear my character moving around and the ambient sounds on my headset. Screen still frozen, so I'd have to restart PC. As I was able to play other games stable such as; CSGO, EST, Halo Infinite, No Mans Sky, Ready or Not, and 7 days to die. On some of the other games, other than the ones listed above. I was not able to play for more than 10-20 mins. But... recently even those games that ran stable for 4-8 hours.... have started having the same issue now. At this point I'm freaking out and Googling issues related to mine looking for answers or fixes. So far I have tried updating all my CPU, GPU Drivers, and MOBO bios ... nothing. Did complete uninstall and reinstall of GPU/ GPU drivers with DDU in Safe Mode. Still no fix now I'm stuck and unsure of what to do. I'm not sure how to do Diagnostics on my hardware or any type of diagnostic tbh. I'm unsure where to go from here any, absolutely any input/help would be greatly appreciated. I have 3D mark, Cinebench, and HWID thats bout it

Thx for your time and consideration, for possibly helping me find a fix.

since its after time, might be a thermal issue.

something might not be rightly connected or degraded.

although that idle or load seems fine. and this is only when there is a load on like with gaming?

if you have hardware info is display correctly? and the same happens in 3D or cinebench?

might need to record it, not sure. could also be PSU related, if you had any experience with it.

also no overclock in BIOS or other software? as you could try reseting to defualt BIOS settings if that changes anything.

oh forgot to ask, what kind of freezing? completely locked system?

1. It only happens during gaming. It does not happen in 3D or Cinebench. My temps are as stated while running stress test on both programs for 10 mins. Although in 3d i cannot pass stability...

2. No i have no overclock of any kind in bios or 3rd party app.

3. Two cases, but both cases will completely freeze screen to what was last displayed. No artifacts or fluttering of any kind. Just freezes what was last shown on screen from the game. So the 1st case freeze it will lock up all tabs and i will have restart computer. But for the 2nd case freeze I can click open task manager to end the task, only on some games though.

1 hour ago, xCOBRA13x said:

1. It only happens during gaming. It does not happen in 3D or Cinebench. My temps are as stated while running stress test on both programs for 10 mins. Although in 3d i cannot pass stability...

3. Two cases, but both cases will completely freeze screen to what was last displayed. No artifacts or fluttering of any kind. Just freezes what was last shown on screen from the game. So the 1st case freeze it will lock up all tabs and i will have restart computer. But for the 2nd case freeze I can click open task manager to end the task, only on some games though.

I'm not sure on the stability front, maybe others that know what that could mean from 3D mark

so not a full lockdown of the system or rather sometimes? Would kind of guess its a graphic problem? but why that happens? not sure.

It might be that you need to look into taking out the CPU, RAM and GPU, and see how they look and reconnect them all back together. To see if all pins are good or not seeing any sort of issues. If not you have done this.

1 hour ago, xCOBRA13x said:

2. No i have no overclock of any kind in bios or 3rd party app.

honestly if its not passing stability without even having an OC applied try to make a simple OC profile or even underclock it and see if you have the same issue. BUT seperately i would test the thermal situation try putting fans at max and play and see if it has the same issue if so increase your fan speeds on your curve 

Also just out of curiosity you said you didn't previously own the cpu or gpu do you know the person who gave/sold it to you? If so you should definitely to see if the card was ever used to mine crypto because if it was theres a good chance that after all that energy and heat that went through the card that its stability is shot

46 minutes ago, rapidfirer56 said:

Also just out of curiosity you said you didn't previously own the cpu or gpu do you know the person who gave/sold it to you? If so you should definitely to see if the card was ever used to mine crypto because if it was theres a good chance that after all that energy and heat that went through the card that its stability is shot

I was first buyer/owner of both. I didn't do any minning with components. Answer for you your first response ill give it a shot. ima post a vid of what one of the crashes look like.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

I'm not sure on the stability front, maybe others that know what that could mean from 3D mark

so not a full lockdown of the system or rather sometimes? Would kind of guess its a graphic problem? but why that happens? not sure.

It might be that you need to look into taking out the CPU, RAM and GPU, and see how they look and reconnect them all back together. To see if all pins are good or not seeing any sort of issues. If not you have done this.

I attached a video of what one of the freezes look like ill go ahead and get another one for you. also ill be sure to give that a go tomorrow morning ima have to go pick up some thermal paste and rubbing alcohol.

17 minutes ago, xCOBRA13x said:

I attached a video of what one of the freezes look like ill go ahead and get another one for you. also ill be sure to give that a go tomorrow morning ima have to go pick up some thermal paste and rubbing alcohol.

hmm interesting but i will say for some reason 7 days to die is hard on a gpu my 1070ti doesnt usually go over 63C with my fan curve and while playing it in the past ive seen gpu temps up to 76 with the side panel off for that game but i never crashed just had stuttering issues and i do have an OC applied to my gpu. anyways last idea i have for possibly finding the potential issue run hardwareinfo64 in the background as it logs all errors during its runtime it could help you find a root cause

2 minutes ago, rapidfirer56 said:

hmm interesting but i will say for some reason 7 days to die is hard on a gpu my 1070ti doesnt usually go over 63C with my fan curve and while playing it in the past ive seen gpu temps up to 76 with the side panel off for that game but i never crashed just had stuttering issues and i do have an OC applied to my gpu. anyways last idea i have for possibly finding the potential issue run hardwareinfo64 in the background as it logs all errors during its runtime it could help you find a root cause

fasho ill get on it rn

2 hours ago, rapidfirer56 said:

Im not too sure if i used HWI64 correctly let me know if i need to fix something thanks for the help btw guys I just want to have some sort of answer so i can address the issue and fix it.

Well the only thing that really jumps out at me is your graphics drivers are out of date but ill keep looking download 497.21 and do a clean install. Also you can see near the top of the first SS that its doing 2.5GT/S instead of being anywhere near its capable 8.0 idk if that could mean its throttling or not

CSGO Crash - Notepad 12_28_2021 3_19_01 AM.png

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL - Google Chrome 12_28_2021 3_20_09 AM.png

Edited by rapidfirer56
spotted something else

1 minute ago, rapidfirer56 said:

Well the only thing that really jumps out at me is your graphics drivers are out of date but ill keep looking download 497.21 and do a clean install 

CSGO Crash - Notepad 12_28_2021 3_19_01 AM.png

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL - Google Chrome 12_28_2021 3_20_09 AM.png

okay so nothing else really catching your eye? also do i use DDU? or just clean install?

3 minutes ago, xCOBRA13x said:

okay so nothing else really catching your eye? also do i use DDU? or just clean install?

well you said you had already used ddu so i would say you don't really have to but you can if you want but look at the edit i did on that 

5 minutes ago, rapidfirer56 said:

well you said you had already used ddu so i would say you don't really have to but you can if you want but look at the edit i did on that 

okay so.. my pcie link speed is slow...? im not to sure as what that means i just looked it up. should i run hwi64 with an extreme time spy stress test? also should i change it in bios ?

18 minutes ago, xCOBRA13x said:

okay so.. my pcie link speed is slow...? im not to sure as what that means i just looked it up. should i run hwi64 with an extreme time spy stress test? also should i change it in bios ?

not sure man im stumped and im pretty much at the end of my knowledge to help lol but try watching this video 

4 minutes ago, rapidfirer56 said:

not sure man im stumped and im pretty much at the end of my knowledge to help lol but try watching this video 

all good my dude thanks for all your help did alot more today than the past two weeks... lol smh

4 hours ago, xCOBRA13x said:

This is what i got on that TS Extreme stress test screenshot, aswell as hwi64 log attatched. if anyone has anything else to help out. it would be very appreciated. Tysm in advance if you take a look

TS Extreme Stress Test.PNG

TS Xtrm Stress Test.LOG