Ultra Short Throw Projector £2000 budget

Ahoy Hoy

So looking at getting a ultra short throw projector for around the 2K mark. Screen size will be around 100 to 110.

Struggling to decided between them, anyone got any advice or expereince with any of these projectors?

Looking at;
Optoma Cinemax P2

Xgimi Aura 4K

BenQ V6050

Epson EH-LS500

Xiaomi Mi 4K Laser Projector

I have a Cinemax P1.  Love it.  2k is a HYPER-AGGRESSIVE price point for 4k UST projectors though.  I'd practically be fearful for one coming in under that price point--at present; most of what you listed isn't below that either--and some are above $3,000.

I would tend to steer clear of the Chinese brands (Xiaomi, Xgimi)--as they are price-competitive...but once you start doing head to head comparison on ANSI lumens, HDR and a lot of other factors--you can easily see where they are cutting corners to get to that price.  Same with VAVA.  Optoma allows you to use the integrated soundbar as an audio output that integrates with your surround sound--so that's a nice feature.

I would also seriously consider a Hisense L5F, which comes bundled with the screen (100" and 120" options).  The 120" were selling for ~$3000 on black friday.  And that's a bundle that costs about as much as a P2 costs by itself.  I've seen the 100" version selling for as low as $2800 at present.

Any size screen other than 100" or 120" is going to probably run expensive for a screen--given that those are the only 2 "standard" sizes.  ALR screen is preferable--and it needs to be ALR for UST; conventional, long-throw ALR screens will not work right.  If you can't get an ALR UST screen, then just get a conventional non-ALR screen.  Tensioned screens are a must--UST will show imperfections much more easily than other projectors.  If you are planning to not use a screen--I'd just avoid getting a projector.  Screen-less will give a LOT of light-wash onto the ceiling and will just be sub-par in virtually every measurable way.

--

The UST market is constantly in flux, and more and newer are being fielded all the time.  There was only 1 laser 4k UST available in Jan of 2019 and now there's nearly a dozen.  Everyone from Viewsonic to Samsung to LG is dropping their own flavors.  If you really want to dig down in the weeds on comparing them, LTT isn't going to be of much help.  You'd need to go to projector central or some other projector enthusiast site to get the down and dirty. 

2 hours ago, IPD said:

I have a Cinemax P1.  Love it.  2k is a HYPER-AGGRESSIVE price point for 4k UST projectors though.  I'd practically be fearful for one coming in under that price point--at present; most of what you listed isn't below that either--and some are above $3,000.

I would tend to steer clear of the Chinese brands (Xiaomi, Xgimi)--as they are price-competitive...but once you start doing head to head comparison on ANSI lumens, HDR and a lot of other factors--you can easily see where they are cutting corners to get to that price.  Same with VAVA.  Optoma allows you to use the integrated soundbar as an audio output that integrates with your surround sound--so that's a nice feature.

I would also seriously consider a Hisense L5F, which comes bundled with the screen (100" and 120" options).  The 120" were selling for ~$3000 on black friday.  And that's a bundle that costs about as much as a P2 costs by itself.  I've seen the 100" version selling for as low as $2800 at present.

Any size screen other than 100" or 120" is going to probably run expensive for a screen--given that those are the only 2 "standard" sizes.  ALR screen is preferable--and it needs to be ALR for UST; conventional, long-throw ALR screens will not work right.  If you can't get an ALR UST screen, then just get a conventional non-ALR screen.  Tensioned screens are a must--UST will show imperfections much more easily than other projectors.  If you are planning to not use a screen--I'd just avoid getting a projector.  Screen-less will give a LOT of light-wash onto the ceiling and will just be sub-par in virtually every measurable way.

--

The UST market is constantly in flux, and more and newer are being fielded all the time.  There was only 1 laser 4k UST available in Jan of 2019 and now there's nearly a dozen.  Everyone from Viewsonic to Samsung to LG is dropping their own flavors.  If you really want to dig down in the weeds on comparing them, LTT isn't going to be of much help.  You'd need to go to projector central or some other projector enthusiast site to get the down and dirty. 

In the UK all those projectors are within £100 of each other at the 2Kmark. The Hisense doesnt go for any less then £3000 even with a screen bundled in at that price its way too much.

I like the P2 but it has a poor user interface compared to the others from what I have found. Are you sure about the P2 sound intergration. How does this work as I dont see how that is possible. Im aware the Xiaomi has the ability to have a seperate audio input meaning the porjector can be used a central channel but dont see how the Optoma can do that.

So your aware the irony in your comment Hisense is Chinese as well. Optoma and BenQ are Tiawanese and Epson is Japanese.

Gotta love that exchange rate.  P2 is sitting about 3300 USD here.  Even the Xgimi is listed at like 2500-2600.

Hisense is Chinese, yes.  They are also an established name within the tv/projector market--even if a smaller one.  Being a guinea pig is dangerous when it comes to Chinese tech.  I have an XY screen (Chinese) but there's no danger of batteries or caps exploding, lenses clouding/cracking, PSU's dying, etc.  YMMV.

Honestly, the only negatives I've read about P2's interface come from its streaming apps.  And if you are judging these based off their integrated apps--frankly, you're doing it wrong.  That's practically a known quantity even among fixed-panel displays; integrated sucks, go with a plug in (chromecast, etc).

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-V7050i-vs-Optoma-CinemaX-P2.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/XGIMI-Aura-4K-UST-Laser-Projector-Review.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/VAVA-VA-LT002-UST-Laser-Projector-Review.htm

etc

--

Look, it sounds like you want to be persnickity.  That's your cup of tea.  Research it on your own.  None of these is going to be top tier--as you'd have to step up to the 5000 USD range to get multiple color lasers and .66 instead of .43 chips (true 4k chips are even higher).  I've told you my personal experience/use.  YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 12:27 PM, IPD said:

Gotta love that exchange rate.  P2 is sitting about 3300 USD here.  Even the Xgimi is listed at like 2500-2600.

Hisense is Chinese, yes.  They are also an established name within the tv/projector market--even if a smaller one.  Being a guinea pig is dangerous when it comes to Chinese tech.  I have an XY screen (Chinese) but there's no danger of batteries or caps exploding, lenses clouding/cracking, PSU's dying, etc.  YMMV.

Honestly, the only negatives I've read about P2's interface come from its streaming apps.  And if you are judging these based off their integrated apps--frankly, you're doing it wrong.  That's practically a known quantity even among fixed-panel displays; integrated sucks, go with a plug in (chromecast, etc).

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-V7050i-vs-Optoma-CinemaX-P2.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/XGIMI-Aura-4K-UST-Laser-Projector-Review.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/VAVA-VA-LT002-UST-Laser-Projector-Review.htm

etc

--

Look, it sounds like you want to be persnickity.  That's your cup of tea.  Research it on your own.  None of these is going to be top tier--as you'd have to step up to the 5000 USD range to get multiple color lasers and .66 instead of .43 chips (true 4k chips are even higher).  I've told you my personal experience/use.  YMMV.

Bought a P2 and now returning the P2 utter shite. Great projector image really bright. Like I thought everything about the menu system is terrible. Options obissmile can hardly change any settings, worst thing is keystone is done via phone app which doesnt work. Making the projector pointless. Loads of little annoyances such as it turns on and instead of just working I have to sit through thirty seconds of Optoma advertisement which can be summed up to live laugh love bollocks. Press the Home button, nothing happens, have to press it twice for it to do anything. No simple option to switch inputs.

So much fo the basics just not there in this projector and for that much money it should out perfrom basic projectors a tenth of its price in more then just brightness and colour accuarcy.

If you're relying on keystone correction from an app--or any software in general--UST probably isn't for you.  100% guarantee it will negatively impact response times--as you are using software correction for the image.  I never used the app on my P1, and I did all the manual adjusting myself.

You again seem to be violating my cardinal rule of displays--which is that the app interface doesn't matter, as they all suck.  I haven't used the P2 interface, but I'm sure it can't be far removed from the P1 interface, which is literally fire & forget once I have the colors/modes/brightness set.  All I use it for is swapping from one HDMI source to another.  It also is capable of auto-switching, though I turned that option off.  I never use their "apps".  And that would be the same if I were using Optoma, Samsung, Vizio or anything.

As for boot up, I'm guessing it's not much different than any other laser projector--and the lead time to "warm up".  But if you never sat through the old days of CRT (or better yet, tube CRT)--you probably would be bloody impatient.  I've used bulb projectors with similar start-up time.  Doesn't bother me.

It really sounds like you should just go buy a 75" smart tv, one with the best-rated apps and user interface--and call it a day.  I don't think you researched your options enough, and your complaints are pretty typical of that.

7 hours ago, IPD said:

If you're relying on keystone correction from an app--or any software in general--UST probably isn't for you.  100% guarantee it will negatively impact response times--as you are using software correction for the image.  I never used the app on my P1, and I did all the manual adjusting myself.

You again seem to be violating my cardinal rule of displays--which is that the app interface doesn't matter, as they all suck.  I haven't used the P2 interface, but I'm sure it can't be far removed from the P1 interface, which is literally fire & forget once I have the colors/modes/brightness set.  All I use it for is swapping from one HDMI source to another.  It also is capable of auto-switching, though I turned that option off.  I never use their "apps".  And that would be the same if I were using Optoma, Samsung, Vizio or anything.

As for boot up, I'm guessing it's not much different than any other laser projector--and the lead time to "warm up".  But if you never sat through the old days of CRT (or better yet, tube CRT)--you probably would be bloody impatient.  I've used bulb projectors with similar start-up time.  Doesn't bother me.

It really sounds like you should just go buy a 75" smart tv, one with the best-rated apps and user interface--and call it a day.  I don't think you researched your options enough, and your complaints are pretty typical of that.

There start up time is jsut there to be annoying. If it can display a 100 foot optoma logo fullowed by thirty seconds of slogans it can display the image I want.

There is no manual image correction. Its all done through a phone app

Googled how to do it on the P1 its different. Same operating system but to move the corner corection you have to control the projector from a phone using a App which doesnt work. All the reviews on the app store say this app doesnt work hasnt been updated in years stopped working at this version.

Also watching someone use there P1 the menus changed options quicker, the cursor switched quicker. Everything was just quicker. Optoma must of put a lower quality processor in the P2 as its night and day.

The audio out also has a terrible hum and no gain control. To get it to a decent volume out of the projector into my speaker system have to ram the speaker gain to max, which is a joke. My phone on the lowest volume output with the spakers at half gain is loud.

$3000 £2000 what ever currency you spend thats a lot of money and dumb stuff like this is not acceptable. This is not low end tech. I realise projectors go way high in price but this isnt a £300 projector yet it sucks like one.

Are you 100% sure you couldn't adjust the keystone settings using the remote?

I searched up the user manual, and there's a section on pages 27 and 28 about geometric adjustments and dewarping, which sounds like keystone adjustments to me:

https://www.optomausa.com/ContentStorage/Documents/9412057b-f533-493f-9d4a-61d27041012e.pdf

Amyway, I have no stake in which one you get, and maybe you're correct and these adjustments are not possible with the remote, but it seems rather unusual to say the least.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Manual keystoning means that you are physically moving the projector and adjusting the feet so that the image aligns with the screen correctly.

What I did for my setup was to place it on my entertainment stand, project a picture of pure white onto the bare wall, and adjust the projector until the sides were approximately where the edges of the screen would be (110").  I also measured top and bottom of this area to make sure they were ~ equal, and checked the image against a level to make sure that the stand the projector was on--wasn't tilted or off in any way.  Then i pencil traced where the "edge" of the light beam was.  I used a stud finder to identify my 2x4's in the wall, and then drilled holes in them to mount the screen--based on the height from the pencil marks.  I used a level to make sure the hangers were parallel and that the screen was level.  Then after hanging the screen, I re-adjusted the projector (very small adjustment) to make sure that the image would fit properly inside the screen and there was no light bleed over the 1/2" border.

I never needed an app or any fancy keystoning doo-dads.