1080ti still decent for mining?

I have a spare slot on one of my machines and saw a 1080ti for sale at a very reasonable price. Obviously it will be a good few years old but am considering buying. 

Its a bit power hungry compared to my other GPUs so might need a new PSU but I will cross that bridge if need be.

Would people say its worth the risk. I was used for gaming and have negotiated it for £250 (335usd) which is pretty good in the current market. My main concern is that although working the card might not have much life left in it and people tell me that the thermal pads on them may need replacing after so many years. How complicated and expensive is it to have them replaced? Should return a few dollars a day according to nicehash calculator but does draw more power than the 3060ti and 3070 I have. 

I used a PSU calculator and my Corsair 750w bronze should just about handle it along with the 3070 but only just so will probably invest in a new one as I don't want them to be power starved. 

Risk worth taking or would I be better off trying to get another 3060ti (or similar) which uses less energy and has a better hashrate. Would be double the price pretty much so not quite sure what to do. Will be the last GPU I purchase for some time. I am buying it purely to mine whereas the others do some gaming. 

I remember a post by a guy asking about a CAD rig where he was offered a video card by someone getting out of mining, so gamer level mining may be reaching EOL.  I remember Bitcoin is no longer mined by gaming cards and that all died, then resurrected again when switched to etherium, but that is about to change as well.  There was also talk about some coin called chia, but that was all about big HDDs and had little to do with video cards.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yes mining is just about worth it I think. Have noticed a lot of rigs for sale now on Ebay uk but of course the price is the deposit on a house! 

I just do it for a bit of fun more than anything as I just like technology so if I can make some money out of something I enjoy then why not.

Might be a bit of a risk getting an old card (even though a very good one) but if it works for 12 months then I would break even. Any more would be profit minus energy charges. 

Am curious to play games on it as well as it apparently can still hold its own on most titles. Wish I had bought one 5 years ago but hindsight is wonderful. I would have bought 10 of them had I known about the GPU shortage! 

I have read about chia funnily enough and wonder how that will affect bitcoin. Some "experts" reckon it will be very positive for BC but its really just an educated guess!

It's still fine. Makes around $2-3 per day before electricity costs.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

some coin called chia,

chia mining is long dead.

5 hours ago, tikker said:

It's still fine. Makes around $2-3 per day before electricity costs.

after.

if you can keep it working for 100 days stright you make your money back.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

17 minutes ago, adarw said:

chia mining is long dead.

after.

if you can keep it working for 100 days stright you make your money back.

Depends on what electricity costs are. Varies wildly by area.  Part of the reason so many miners set up shop in wherever it was in China. That province was subsidizing electricity and had the cheapest electricity in the world.  Then they stopped subsidizing it and it was like someone turned on a light in a roach infested kitchen.  Electricity is really expensive I. The EU for example.   There was a time when eleectricty was really cheap in certain parts of Tennessee because of something called the TVA (Tennessee valley authority) which was a big hydro electric dam.  Many years ago.  Such things appear and disappear. 

My thought was eventually the only people mining cryptocoin would be people stealing electricity. No idea how long it will take, but that is the direction it heads. It’s already happening.  There are still companies mining Bitcoin.  There’s a power plant for example that lined the interior walls of its generator room with ASIC miners and runs them when the price of electricity drops below the cost of what it takes to run the generator because it costs to start up again and often it’s cheaper to leave it running for example.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, adarw said:

after.

No, before. If you check WhatToMine or NiceHash's calculator using free electricity you arrive at something between $2.5 and $3 per day. This also in line with my revenue.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 hours ago, tikker said:

No, before. If you check WhatToMine or NiceHash's calculator using free electricity you arrive at something between $2.5 and $3 per day. This also in line with my revenue.

how much do you pay for electricity? image.thumb.png.33edf3ead5d41e695b81707a68052d87.png

-----------------

#

31 minutes ago, adarw said:

how much do you pay for electricity? image.thumb.png.33edf3ead5d41e695b81707a68052d87.png

About $0.29 per kWh. Your screenshot shows exactly what I said though: $2.90 per day before electricity, which is $2-3 per day depending on what the market is up to.

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

About $0.29 per kWh. 

woh thats expensive

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Your screenshot shows exactly what I said though: $2.90 per day before electricity, which is $2-3 per day depending on what the market is up to.

oh i misinterpreted you.

-----------------

#

22 minutes ago, adarw said:

woh thats expensive

Welcome to Europe. Energy prices have skyrocketed lately as well, so next-year on it'll be closer to $0.36-$0.48 per kWh from what I've read.