Best Old Console To Emulate?

Deuxez

So I've been trying to find a good new phone game for the few times I do a bit of commuting, but most of the games available on Play Store are games for children or its those crappy Chinese games. So instead of gaming phone games, I thought I might try and emulate old console games instead! But I cant really find a good console to emulate.

I've thought about NES, SNES and GBA, but I want to know if you have any personal favorites based on performance and the games available for it.

What console would you recommend I emulate?

6 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

So I've been trying to find a good new phone game for the few times I do a bit of commuting, but most of the games available on Play Store are games for children or its those crappy Chinese games. So instead of gaming phone games, I thought I might try and emulate old console games instead! But I cant really find a good console to emulate.

I've thought about NES, SNES and GBA, but I want to know if you have any personal favorites based on performance and the games available for it.

What console would you recommend I emulate?

NES, SNES, GBA, and N64 are all great options. There's even a way to emulate the old Goldsource games from Valve if you have them. I played through Half Life 1 on at lunch during school, and even played some CS 1.6

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

NES, SNES, GBA, and N64 are all great options. There's even a way to emulate the old Goldsource games from Valve if you have them. I played through Half Life 1 on at lunch during school, and even played some CS 1.6

That sounds pretty cool, but I'm not really after those "memories", I'm mostly after "new" games that are worth playing.

Buuuut I guess I should just check which games that are available for reach system.

I think this is going to very much depend on the person. It's very much a personal opinion. Honestly there isn't going to be just one best answer. There maybe one that you play more often than others, but likely you'll play several. Maybe it's what you had as a kid, maybe it's just a system that has a library of a good games.

I wasn't a kid when the Atari 2600 was out, but I actually pretty frequently play those games.

When I travel I usually take a 8bitdo controller with me, so I can "really" enjoy the games while at the hotels and such.

26 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I think this is going to very much depend on the person. It's very much a personal opinion. Honestly there isn't going to be just one best answer. There maybe one that you play more often than others, but likely you'll play several. Maybe it's what you had as a kid, maybe it's just a system that has a library of a good games.

I wasn't a kid when the Atari 2600 was out, but I actually pretty frequently play those games.

When I travel I usually take a 8bitdo controller with me, so I can "really" enjoy the games while at the hotels and such.

I'm a big fan of Retro Gaming, in fact, I play the old console and handheld games far more than any modern games 🙂

And there's great games to be found across multiple platforms, I think it's worth exploring them all, if you're a fan of old games, even old DOS games can be really fun and challenging to this day.

My personal preference is SNES, but I still play the rest lots too 🙂 and I also use 8bitdo controllers to game on my tablet and phone, it's almost a sin to try an use touch screen controls IMO hahaha

If you have a good Android device, I'd recommend playing pokemon colosseum and fire emblem path of radiance. XD Gale of Darkness runs poorly and crashes, although it appears to be a game issue, as it performs that way on my laptop as well. Sonic colors and unleashed will also run pretty well, and if you have a really good device then you can play Metroid Prime trilogy. It likely won't run at full speed but it's playable, however a glitch prevents you from finishing MP3, the X-ray Visor is completely unusable.

9 hours ago, DynamiteOnFire said:

And there's great games to be found across multiple platforms, I think it's worth exploring them all, if you're a fan of old games, even old DOS games can be really fun and challenging to this day.

Thread hijack... So I play lots of DOS games as well actually. Lots of point and click games as well.  I've been playing these on my PC though. Since this thread is discussing mobile, do you play any of these on the mobile platform? If so what do you use? 

• 2 weeks later...

Metroids

N64 Majora's Mask or 3D version if you can run Citra.

DOS Fallout 1, Oddworld

• 2 weeks later...

The GBA is an absolute joy to emulate. There are many colorful Zelda and Pokémon games, a boatload of JRPGs and platformers etc... 

I just love the colorful pixelated graphics of the GBA and regreted not having the backlit Gameboy Advance SP ever since. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't go wrong with Pokemon, and GBA is made for small screen gaming (it actually looks worse on bigger screens), perfect for phone sized screens nowadays. Plus GBA emulators are pretty much equal to the real thing at this point

Some DS games are functional but it's still a bit buggy and limited.

PSX has plenty good ones but you need a controller (touch pad controls are horrible for many titles)

What about the Atari Jaguar or the 32X add on for the Sega Genesis? The Saturn, Neo-Geo, 3D0? The last one didn't sell that many units, bu the company later end up selling a lot of games for the PC.