3060ti very erratic mininig returns on Nicehash

I have a 3060ti LHR version. Have had it for about 6 months now. 

Use Nicehash to mine as it effectively as it mines multiples coins etc so works quite well. Return is normally just under 3usd a day normally.  Bit less than the 3070 which brings in 3.4usd a day consistantly via Daggerhashimoto.

I do the odd check to make sure the cards are okay and have recently noticed the 3060ti is returning some rather crappy amounts. I know the nicehash mobile app is very buggy and reports different to the online portal but but some times its reporting less than 1USD a day. I thought nicehash was supposed to mine the most profitable currency so this doesn't seem right. 

Something to add which is a bit strange but I have noticed that if the 3060ti is underperforming and I just stop nicehash and restart it, Within no time  the mining rate is back to what I would expect but its nowhere near as consistant as the 3070, possibly as its always swapping algorithms?  The computer is just mining with that one card so with a return of less than 1USD its not worth leaving it on given the cost of electricity. Don't want to have to keep monitoring and restarting. 

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Card seems fine. Games well and so forth. Nicehash does seem to swap currencies. It does mine Ethereum the odd time but even that returns about 1.5USD as the LHR cap kicks in

Ravencoin seems to be getting a lot of good press at the moment. Maybe I would be better pointing nicehash towards that? I have a spare slot on one of my 2 machines and was considering buying another card but I doubt I will as A) I feel a bit guilty buying a card with the sole purpose of mining (I game a fair bit on both) and b) the return on the 3060ti has suddenly dropped and its meant to be one of the better cards out there. The 3070 is superb. Didn't get rinsed on it pricewise as I bought a complete system.

If I can't get it sorted then I would be tempted to flog the card. Someone on here introduced me to Rainway which is pretty good. Also have a Geforce now subscription and was pleasantly surprised by both. Only issue is that the internet connection where the 3060ti machine it located is okay but not great. That's another topic though

As always any help would be appreciated. 

I am not familiar with nicehash. What I'm doing with the 3060TI LHR I recently got is just using NBminer and letting it do it's thing. It is consistent at at least 33h/s at 99 watts. Nowhere near what it should be (if it were not LHR) but it's consistent and doesn't require constant monitoring to make sure things are working. just my .02

I see stuff like that with the Nicehash miners all the time. Check your OC, you might need to tweak again. Usually I find a restart fixes it for me.

Thanks both.

Does seem a little odd. Normally I can just remote on to the 3060ti machine (its at the girlfriends, why use my own electricity 🙂 ) but its reporting as offline for some reason even though its on. Will have a look later. 

Until about a week or so ago I had never OC'ed either of them. In a separate thread I mentioned by OC experience and its been good. Reduction in power, slight increase in performance, slight decrease in temperatures so all good.

If it doesn't stabilise then I will revert back to the factory settings but the irregular behaviour existed before the Overclocking so don't that's the problem but not ruling it out by any means. 

Might sell the 3060ti and add a bit extra for a 3070. Well when I say a bit extra its actually a disgraceful amount so might just live with it. In UK a 3060ti scalper prices is about £550 (730usd) and a 3070 about £800 (1300usd) which is a lot but can't see them coming down any time soon. Given that I am just a gamer who does some casual mining Im not sure that the outlay is worth it. Assuming the market stays equal it would take me about 4/5 months before start getting into profit considering the 480 usd difference. Is it worth it? Arguably not. Though the 3060ti does much less gaming than the other so maybe just cash in, get the card into the hands of a gamer and use a streaming service when I'm at hers. Nice to have the option. Having two 3000 series cards is not a bad position to be in 🙂

Have you done the benchmarks (that is how NiceHash determines what is the most profitable coin and when to switch)?

Are temepratures ok? Are there any overclocks applied by you or NiceHash? Hashrate dropping over time can be a sign of an unstable over/underclock. Depending on its environment it might also be overheating thus throttling and slowing down.

It could also just be that it tries to switch too often. Honestly the choices will basically be ETH or RVN anyway. You might as well pick one, call it a day and let it go. Finally, realise that NiceHash is a hashrate marketplace. You aren't mining yourself so to speak, but you are renting out your hashrate to people that are buying it for a certain amount. This varies with supply and demand.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Are you looking at actual or local profitability? Local is based on the hashing power of your rig, but actual is the real profitability from successfully submitted shares. You only get paid when you successfully submit a share that hasn't already been completed. The lower your hashrate, the lower the chance of that happening. In other words, even though the card is theoretically capable of mining $3/day, let's say, that's not necessarily going to be what it actually makes. The higher the hashrate, the better chance you have at actually reaching the potential profitability.

Additionally, the profitability obviously decreases as the value of the coin decreases and BTC is down pretty significantly right now. You're still making the same profit in coin, but the value in dollars is less.

Finally, Nicehash operates as a marketplace. People buy hashing power from the pool, and if orders are down, profitability will be down as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Have you done the benchmarks (that is how NiceHash determines what is the most profitable coin and when to switch)?

Are temepratures ok? Are there any overclocks applied by you or NiceHash? Hashrate dropping over time can be a sign of an unstable over/underclock. Depending on its environment it might also be overheating thus throttling and slowing down.

It could also just be that it tries to switch too often. Honestly the choices will basically be ETH or RVN anyway. You might as well pick one, call it a day and let it go. Finally, realise that NiceHash is a hashrate marketplace. You aren't mining yourself so to speak, but you are renting out your hashrate to people that are buying it for a certain amount. This varies with supply and demand.

Thanks for reply.

Yes all benchmarks done. Temperatures are all good. Very good in fact. Usually in the low to mid 50s with hotspot early 60s. It is in a closed case but ventilation is decent. Never gets into high temperatures thankfully. 

Overclocks are done using afterburner but I have been very conservative with them. I could push it harder but don't see the point in really for a small gain. Was just experimenting really. For such a small time operation an extra few percent is negligible. 

I think the point I have put in bold is a good one. Should probably just stick to a couple of the main coins instead of giving NH a choice of about 18 different ones that it now detects. Some I have never even heard of.

I know NH is not "proper" mining but given that I am only a casual novice its easy. Does the job (albeit at small commission) and pays in Bitcoin which is handy. Someone on here said that you mining properly would yield a slightly better return (7% or so) but the convenience for me is worth that. Obviously if I was a big time miner which I have no intention of doing then the 7% would be sizeable. 

54 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Are you looking at actual or local profitability? Local is based on the hashing power of your rig, but actual is the real profitability from successfully submitted shares. You only get paid when you successfully submit a share that hasn't already been completed. The lower your hashrate, the lower the chance of that happening. In other words, even though the card is theoretically capable of mining $3/day, let's say, that's not necessarily going to be what it actually makes. The higher the hashrate, the better chance you have at actually reaching the potential profitability.

Additionally, the profitability obviously decreases as the value of the coin decreases and BTC is down pretty significantly right now. You're still making the same profit in coin, but the value in dollars is less.

Finally, Nicehash operates as a marketplace. People buy hashing power from the pool, and if orders are down, profitability will be down as well.

I tend to look at actual as I did research the difference between the two.

I made a bit of an assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that the demand for hash power would always be fairly high due to the lack of equipment out there so maybe its just something I would have to put up with. 

When I started mining (March 2021) it did seem to be more consistant using Nicehash. Just the last month or two it seems to be a bit erratic. 

More curiosity than anything as we are not talking big money here. Its really just a hobby with me more than anything but I might as well maximise what I am bringing in. Even if its just an extra £20-30 a month!  

I might look into mining properly for myself but not sure how time consuming it will be. 

Nicehash for all its faults is so easy to use for folk like me (simpletons).

34 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

I tend to look at actual as I did research the difference between the two.

I made a bit of an assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that the demand for hash power would always be fairly high due to the lack of equipment out there so maybe its just something I would have to put up with. 

When I started mining (March 2021) it did seem to be more consistant using Nicehash. Just the last month or two it seems to be a bit erratic. 

More curiosity than anything as we are not talking big money here. Its really just a hobby with me more than anything but I might as well maximise what I am bringing in. Even if its just an extra £20-30 a month!  

I might look into mining properly for myself but not sure how time consuming it will be. 

You'll still need to join a pool, so there will be fees involved.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, irishbeast said:

Yes all benchmarks done. Temperatures are all good. Very good in fact. Usually in the low to mid 50s with hotspot early 60s. It is in a closed case but ventilation is decent. Never gets into high temperatures thankfully. 

And the memory temperatures? Those matter more.

Overclocks are done using afterburner but I have been very conservative with them. I could push it harder but don't see the point in really for a small gain. Was just experimenting really. For such a small time operation an extra few percent is negligible. 

There's benefit to lower the power limit and tweak the clocks for max profitability, even for a single card (you could even let NiceHash do that I believe). Mainly the lower power limit, so your actual profit is more.

I don't think typically the difference is that big. The main benefit is that if you mine ETH you get ETH, if you mine RVN you get RVN, whereas NiceHash pays you in BTC no matter what.

Also, is the computer doing anything else besides mining? Day-to-day revenue will definitely vary. I would also look at like a week to month average as well to see if you are around the average. Finally, try mining just a single coin, e.g. ETH  or RVN, and see if that is more stable.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Thanks all for the useful advice. 

How do I check the memory temperature? Are you referring to the system memory or the GPU memory. I use GPU-Z to monitor the card but can't see any memory temp on there.

With BC fluctuating so much is does make me wonder if small scale mining is actually worth it all worth it. I actually have less BC now than I did a month ago. Only £4 less so not a great deal less but have had 2 machines running 24/7 which I estimate will have cost me about £14 in electricity so effectively down £18. I know BC is effectively gambling to a degree but it makes me question if a mining setup like mine is rather pointless. I know opinions are a little divided on whether mining will destory your cards. Both are still under warranty at the moment. I did see an LTT video where Linus tested a card that had mined 24/7 for 5 years and it performed exactly as it should. Not saying all cards will be the same but they are surely built to last and the conspiracy theorists amongst us may argue that nvidia and amd know very well that a lot of the cards will be used to mine, so build them accordingly. Not saying thats my opinion but just throwing it out there!

I can understand (but don't condone) the huge scale operations with hundreds or thousands of cards where they will be turning over a fair bit  and the electricity costs are proportionally less. Electricity prices in the uk seem to be creeping up so should probably look to change provider as I could save a little bit. Whether I can be bothered is another question!

Anyway back on topic!

Neither computer does anything other than mining. Occassionally (rarely_ I might watch a bit of youtube. If I decide to play a game then I would stop mining before playing the game. 

2 hours ago, irishbeast said:

How do I check the memory temperature? Are you referring to the system memory or the GPU memory. I use GPU-Z to monitor the card but can't see any memory temp on there.

GPU memory. I think e.g. HWiNFO can checkthat.

With BC fluctuating so much is does make me wonder if small scale mining is actually worth it all worth it. I actually have less BC now than I did a month ago. Only £4 less so not a great deal less but have had 2 machines running 24/7 which I estimate will have cost me about £14 in electricity so effectively down £18

It's still profitable. You also have the same amount of BTC compared to last month (or more if you continued mining). It's worth in fiat just changed. You're also only down £4, because that £14 electricity cost was never profit anyway.

Both are still under warranty at the moment

Mining has most likely voided your warranty. It doesn't inherently damage your GPU though. It's just another load.

Neither computer does anything other than mining. Occassionally (rarely_ I might watch a bit of youtube. If I decide to play a game then I would stop mining before playing the game. 

Hmm. Well like I said I'd check with a single algorithm and longer timescale averages.