High temps MSI MAG Coreliquid 240R

utkuzz
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

That case specifies 170mm max CPU cooler height and Noctua's gigantic NH-D15 is officially listed as 165mm with fan's installed. So height clearance is likely not going to be an issue.

That being said, the NH-D15 is likely unnecessary for your 10600k and something like their NH-U12S would fit the bill just fine. There are many options for you to choose from and you can reference something like this to help better make a decision. 

I have been using this setup for a while, after changing rams and my case idle temps become 80C and i and I cannot go full load since it reaches 100C+. I under clocked my cpu to 4.0GHz and still temps won't drop down from 60C. I have a slightly smaller case but this case has better and more cooling than the old case. Also I use the case without the front panel since I was suspecting it gets less air with the panel on. I seen some other threads where people with similar system have the same issue but I couldn't found any solution. Also I am pretty sure I mounted cpu block and applied thermal paste correctly since I done that 3 to 4 times until now. I can only mount the radiator to the front with pump side upwards or to the top. I am suspecting there is more than necessary air in the system since I hear pump making noises especially on cold starts. When I tilt my case around sometimes cpu temps drop but when I make it stand on 4 legs again, it goes back to 60ish degrees. Is there anyone experienced same problems or have any idea how to solve this problem. 

Front fans are intake, rear and radiator fans are exhaust. 

i5 10600K
MSI MAG Coreliquid 240R
MSI z490 Tomahawk
MSI GTX 1070

G Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200MHz

Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold

MSI MPG Gungnir 110R

f88d6a33-6735-4e13-80b9-2979db928cd4.jpg

I honestly feel like i'm in a constant state of deja vu with threads like this. I am 100% serious that there is one of these a week where someone with that AIO starts having a problem with temps and the only conclusion is the pump has failed in some way.

Do yo have a way to monitor pump RPM? 

All that aside, i'm of the opinion that those AIO's are complete and utter garbage. If you want a replacement, look no further than EK and Arctic. 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

I honestly feel like i'm in a constant state of deja vu with threads like this. I am 100% serious that there is one of these a week where someone with that AIO starts having a problem with temps and the only conclusion is the pump has failed in some way.

Do yo have a way to monitor pump RPM? 

All that aside, i'm of the opinion that those AIO's are complete and utter garbage. If you want a replacement, look no further than EK and Arctic. 

Yeah I keep checking pump rpm in BIOS or form the dragon center of MSI, its constantly 4000+rpm. I was thinking about going with a air cooler but not sure which model would be the best and which one can fit in my case. 

7 minutes ago, utkuzz said:

Yeah I keep checking pump rpm in BIOS or form the dragon center of MSI, its constantly 4000+rpm. I was thinking about going with a air cooler but not sure which model would be the best and which one can fit in my case. 

Air coolers are bulky and loud and With how expensive new aios are I see no reason to pay like 280$ for an aio . That much could get u easly a custom loop from apha cool or something and little bit more would get u an ek loop .there is no more reason to buy an aio.

That case specifies 170mm max CPU cooler height and Noctua's gigantic NH-D15 is officially listed as 165mm with fan's installed. So height clearance is likely not going to be an issue.

That being said, the NH-D15 is likely unnecessary for your 10600k and something like their NH-U12S would fit the bill just fine. There are many options for you to choose from and you can reference something like this to help better make a decision. 

Just now, chaotic kronos said:

Air coolers are bulky and loud and With how expensive new aios are I see no reason to pay like 280$ for an aio . That much could get u easly a custom loop from apha cool or something and little bit more would get u an ek loop .there is no more reason to buy an aio.

Bulky, can be, loud? Not a chance. 

AIO's for a 10600k are also ~$100, not $280. Read the room, this guy isn't interested in a custom loop and all the additional knowledge and maintenance that will entail. 

@utkuzzBe very weary about trusting this advice. 

21 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Bulky, can be, loud? Not a chance. 

AIO's for a 10600k are also ~$100, not $280. Read the room, this guy isn't interested in a custom loop and all the additional knowledge and maintenance that will entail. 

@utkuzzBe very weary about trusting this advice. 

They are bulky and loud under load. And there is almost zero knowledge needed to run a soft tubing loop. And hell it would cost him 15 $ every year to change coolant . And with a custom loop the pump fails u would buy a new pump. 

https://www.primochill.com/products/primochill-liquid-utopia-15ml-bottle 14 $ for 1 gallon  which would fill a cpu loop 2 or even 3 times easily 

@rickeo @chaotic kronos firstly thank you guys for the help, I was considering a noctua as well, since I live in Turkey custom loops can be pretty expensive, actually everything is too expensive at the moment. Therefore, is there any cheaper brands/models that I can use instead of noctua or is it just not worth it at all. Should I invest in a noctua cooler directly?

Besides that, I was wondering that can anything else cause this temp problem other than AIO cooler? Like can there be a case where my motherboard just became trash and making everything worse somehow? Since the pump works, I was wondering if something else can cause this and I don't wanna spend unnecessary money surely. My cpu, mobo and cooler are 1 year old and other parts not including gpu are 1-2 months old. 

4 minutes ago, utkuzz said:

@rickeo @chaotic kronos firstly thank you guys for the help, I was considering a noctua as well, since I live in Turkey custom loops can be pretty expensive, actually everything is too expensive at the moment. Therefore, is there any cheaper brands/models that I can use instead of noctua or is it just not worth it at all. Should I invest in a noctua cooler directly?

Besides that, I was wondering that can anything else cause this temp problem other than AIO cooler? Like can there be a case where my motherboard just became trash and making everything worse somehow? Since the pump works, I was wondering if something else can cause this and I don't wanna spend unnecessary money surely. My cpu, mobo and cooler are 1 year old and other parts not including gpu are 1-2 months old. 

Oh well . Noctua coolers r rlly good and silent 

Idk how did I even forgot about them. Also that aio might still be in warranty . If so u might claim rma for it .

8 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

Oh well . Noctua coolers r rlly good and silent 

Idk how did I even forgot about them. Also that aio might still be in warranty . If so u might claim rma for it .

probably yeah, I will send it to msi and see what happens

Well I tried my really old cooler from my old pc, apperantly this mobo supports that cooler, it was meant to work with i5 6600k, and it actually works like a charm with my i5 10600k. My 100% load in aida only raises cpu to 50 degrees with the exact same config as before. I will now try to set my cpu's clock back to original value and move on from there. If I catch any deals on noctua or something else than I am %100 moving back to a tower cooler.

This is the cooler I am currently using fyi:  https://www.mwave.com.au/product/xigmatek-s1283-red-scorpion-cpu-cooler-lga775am3-aa16598?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=3R.vbZPMnb40LfXNPVesD7aYiSFOgonuydxcrcUS9tg-1639090041-0-gaNycGzNCL0

I gotta start bookmarking all these dead MSI AIO threads. Am I the only one noticing a pattern? 

@rickeo yep I seen a lot of them too, but didn't found any solutions since I wasn't thinking it was dead, apperantly it was. I am really glad I can use my pc fully now, I boost back to 4.7 ghz and max temp I see on aida was 74 degrees with every stress test working at the same time. Thanks again for the help.

5 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I gotta start bookmarking all these dead MSI AIO threads. Am I the only one noticing a pattern? 

Idk my corsair aio also died after only 2 years 

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an older topic but since I've just RMA'd the same cooler after it failed 2 months in...

You can't mount this cooler to the top of the case. The pump is in the rad instead of the block, so you have your pump right up where any air bubbles are going to form. That gamersnexus video that says you shouldn't mount front with tubes up top? That doesn't apply to this cooler because of the pump placement, and your current position has caused a failure for exactly the same reason. I've just installed my replacement cooler and will see how long this one lasts before I deem it trash and jump to a different brand, but I'm pretty confident that top mounting is the reason it failed.